Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could somebody please tell me what causes a buildup of condensation in my front lights & back break lights? Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

·
Administrator
2,326 Posts
It appears to be somewhat common. In some cases it comes and goes with weather. In others, it's more prominent. I've rarely noticed in my 2014, more comments for the newer 2-3 year old vehicles. Your picture is more than I ever experienced.
When it's very cold outside and humid in warmer garage you might find "humidity" condensation occur.
If in warranty, some dealers will replace the lights. In other cases, they might try to dry our and reseal around connections. Out of warranty, Maserati typically wants you to pay for the replacement if sealing doesn't solve the excessive condensation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It appears to be somewhat common. In some cases it comes and goes with weather. In others, it's more prominent. I've rarely noticed in my 2014, more comments for the newer 2-3 year old vehicles. Your picture is more than I ever experienced.
When it's very cold outside and humid in warmer garage you might find "humidity" condensation occur.
If in warranty, some dealers will replace the lights. In other cases, they might try to dry our and reseal around connections. Out of warranty, Maserati typically wants you to pay for the replacement if sealing doesn't solve the excessive condensation.
Thanks Beer guy for your suggestions I actually have dried it out with a hair dryer but you can see it’s returning! Probably because of the colder temperature here in uk. Maybe I should take it back to the dealer and see if he will fix it I’ve only had the car 3 weeks ? It’s on a 17 plate with only 4000 miles on the clock.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hi Kempes,
Yes unfortunately it seems to be a recurrent problem.
More so in the UK, where it is cold and humid.
I leave in the south of France and still have the problem, even after replacement under warranty.

I have tried to hang a Silicagel inside the light, it works very well but it is very tricky to do and would not advise it. On top the Silicagel needs to be re-activated from time to time.

My new trick is to heat up the light from below with a heater pad
Like this:

I have found 2 types of units, one to heat up to 40ºC the other other one 60ºC, I've installed the 40ºC for the moment, if not enough I will put the 60 ones.

I fit it under the headlight on the inner side, (indicator) to warm up the unit, my theory is that the Xenon bulb heats up the light on one side and that the other end of the headlight is staying cold, thus condensing.
I believe that if all the headlight is warm, there will not be any condensation. Time will tell.

I have installed every thing, but the weather is not bad enough here yet to switch it on.
I will only activate the system in the winter.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Kempes,
Yes unfortunately it seems to be a recurrent problem.
More so in the UK, where it is cold and humid.
I leave in the south of France and still have the problem, even after replacement under warranty.

I have tried to hang a Silicagel inside the light, it works very well but it is very tricky to do and would not advise it. On top the Silicagel needs to be re-activated from time to time.

My new trick is to heat up the light from below with a heater pad
Like this:

I have found 2 types of units, one to heat up to 40ºC the other other one 60ºC, I've installed the 40ºC for the moment, if not enough I will put the 60 ones.

I fit it under the headlight on the inner side, (indicator) to warm up the unit, my theory is that the Xenon bulb heats up the light on one side and that the other end of the headlight is staying cold, thus condensing.
I believe that if all the headlight is warm, there will not be any condensation. Time will tell.

I have installed every thing, but the weather is not bad enough here yet to switch it on.
I will only activate the system in the winter.
Thanks for your reply Fredvr I like your different solutions for the condensation problem I be interested to know if the heater pads work for you. I did dry the lights with my wife’s hairdryer its worked for the time being 2 days in no condensation. I personally think if the cars been washed in the past with the high pressure jet washes that some people use certainly dose not help the problem.

·
Registered
2014 GT MC / 2018 Ghibli SQ4 Gransport
324 Posts
covered under warranty, a taillight on my 2018 had the same issue

1 - 6 of 6 Posts