Why not buy one:

Doesn't feel like the sum of its parts
Big car with a small back seat
Initial turbo lag makes it feel much slower than it is
Interior finish doesn't measure up to the price
Difficult visibility and access
Annoying shifter
Overall styling blends in among a sea of midsized sedans
Lacks modern safety gear like blind-spot monitoring and forward-collision warning
Nearly $90,000, without all of the options, makes this a questionable value
Some have summer tires, which don't perform well in cold weather and snowy conditions:|:|

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
New
Maserati Ghibli
Luxury large carsCR overall score. 71 Out of 100

Why buy one:

Being able to say that you own a Maserati
Exclusivity in a sea of BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, and Audi competitors
Car sounds glorious when driven hard
Ferrari-built engine with slick eight-speed automatic transmission
Some styling details are eye-catching

As Austin would say "Yeah Baby!! >:D

Why not buy one:

Big car with a small back seat - I presume legroom reference but I am 6ft and have no issue in back seat behind my normal driving position
Initial turbo lag makes it feel much slower than it is - not in Sports mode :D
Interior finish doesn't measure up to the price - don't get this observation - I presume it is an obtuse reference to the use of same switchgear as Chrysler autos?;)

Difficult visibility and access - I have no idea what this is about

Annoying shifter - True

Overall styling blends in among a sea of midsized sedans - Are you kiddin me, our car has exquisite lines :|!!!

Lacks modern safety gear like blind-spot monitoring and forward-collision warning - Unlike most of forum I would like BLIS with that Tridente

Nearly $90,000, without all of the options, makes this a questionable value - I guess our difference of opinion is why we prefer the Ghibli :laugh:

Some have summer tires, which don't perform well in cold weather and snowy conditions:|:|- Dah! At least we don't have run flats

I hadn't seen the article yet and look forward to seeing their objectivity vis-a-vis the Ghibli's competition

DD

·
Registered
324 Posts
Bah. The S Q4 speaks for itself. $90k is a steal. Tell me this: What other $90k car could pull up next to you and leave you feeling bested? Just isn't going to happen... at all. In fact sometimes I even feel sympathy for BMW and Tesla drivers; I can smell their submission and envy at stop lights. And then the S Q4's exhaust note via Sport Mode is absolutely unfair, just beats them while they're down, as if Maserati's total visual domination weren't entirely decisive. But this is our plight...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Bah. The S Q4 speaks for itself. $90k is a steal. Tell me this: What other $90k car could pull up next to you and leave you feeling bested? Just isn't going to happen... at all. In fact sometimes I even feel sympathy for BMW and Tesla drivers; I can smell their submission and envy at stop lights. And then the S Q4's exhaust note via Sport Mode is absolutely unfair, just beats them while they're down, as if Maserati's total visual domination weren't entirely decisive. But this is our plight...
SO TRUE.
When I pull up next to a Merc or BMW, the little devil on my shoulder always whispers..."You Win"
>:D

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
That's a low rate.

In NY (just off their website not in my branch) the Chase loan rate % is only as low as 2.33.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
You get .25 off for being a good customer and .25 off if you auto pay.

Thanks!!

Still a good rate - at % 1.80.

Originally I was going to purchase a Ghibli - but the sound system issue was the main cause of my change of heart to lease until 2018. I am not sure yet what the money factor will be for a lease of the 2015 I ordered as the 2015 pricing is not available until July 20. Once I have it I can then easily double check the true cost of ownership in 2014 $$$, using inflation/investment return for both lease/car load purchase options - we already know buying a $ 100K car outright in 2014 $$ makes no sense.

DD

·
Registered
695 Posts
Styling? Wow, the one thing none of the other reviews said. I agree about shifter! Blind spot warning would be nice. Rear seat is a little small for size but there have been times we've had two 2 seaters, before grand kids. I'm looking forward to more interior options as car matures, cross stitched maybe. Turbo lag appears more pronounced in Q4 for some reason, bet after market tuners will eventually address it for a price. We're lucky we can have UHP summer tires all year long, ride harder, don't last long, but really makes cars more fun. All things being equal review basically says car is only for a few.

·
Administrator
2,389 Posts
I've gotten worn down on the positive and negative reviews ... whether a 71, 81 or 91 / 100 ... no longer matters to me.

What counts is how I feel about this car ... my emotions and experience ratings are high and that's what counts.

No car is 100% perfect or 100% broken ... hence I realize there will always be something better ... maybe a 2015, 2016, 2017 or 2018 Ghibli with improvements.;)

I'm happy, love the car, like the exclusivity and makes me feel good for all the hard work to afford this car (and gas that goes into the tank).:)

In the end, an added perk is it has also brought me into the extended family of prospective and current passionate owners of Ghibli's on this forum.

So in short ... enjoy the ride and our Ghibli comradery!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
New
Maserati Ghibli
Luxury large carsCR overall score. 71 Out of 100

Why buy one:

Being able to say that you own a Maserati
Exclusivity in a sea of BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, and Audi competitors
Car sounds glorious when driven hard
Ferrari-built engine with slick eight-speed automatic transmission
Some styling details are eye-catching

Why not buy one:

Big car with a small back seat
Initial turbo lag makes it feel much slower than it is
Interior finish doesn't measure up to the price
Difficult visibility and access
Annoying shifter
Overall styling blends in among a sea of midsized sedans
Lacks modern safety gear like blind-spot monitoring and forward-collision warning
Nearly $90,000, without all of the options, makes this a questionable value
Some have summer tires, which don't perform well in cold weather and snowy conditions:|:|

Saw my first Ghibli in person last week @ Maserati Chicago. Much better looking in person. Looks better than the new Quattroporte and better than anything in it's class. One [email protected] sexy car. IMHO

·
Registered
480 Posts
If I have said this once, I have said this 1,000 times:

A Maserati is not a car you buy with the right side of your brain. If you do, you will find it lacks in Technology features the German cars have standard. Like drivers' assist features and adaptive cruise control and all the other robotic features that drive the car for you...

A Maserati is a left brain purchase. It is a thing of beauty, design, emotion and is fun to drive. It is a driver's automobile, a piece of Art that evokes a double take from a passer by, stares from other drivers and just so happens to also serve as a mode of transportation.

When you drive it, your pupils dilate, your blood rushes and when you hear the sound of that engine, your heart skips a beat...or two.

Even the name "Maserati" has a musical tempo to it.

ART not PRACTICALITY....

Steve

·
Registered
397 Posts
Beer Guy ! well said!
I feel like people that hate the brand or don't understand the car (also some jalousy) are putting the car down.. This car is a DRIVER's car .. with taste and finesse.
This car is different as it s beautiful and yes there s less than some good German cars .. but for me "Less is More" and look at the leather.. it is REAL leather and not leatherette with fake leather smell.
Haters will be haters.
When we bought the car, we did it because we listened to our heart ( and that Ferrari built V6) and not because it has options to drive your mother in law around and because it s what most of the population might like.
I bought mine because I didn t want to be like the rest of the herd! and coming from the MB forums previously.. This Ghibli community is to me, one of the best out there.. small number with quality people.
So people can talk about the bad stuff like everywhere else.. but we truly know that they dont know what they re really missing. My personal thoughts.:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts