Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my 2016 Ghibli for a couple of months and have a couple of questions because I'm not sure if they are 'features'or something I can fix.

First one and the most irritating is that if i park on a slight slope or hill the boot or trunk lid doesnt stay fully open. Its hit me on the head a few times now and it blooming hurts lol. Is this normal or do I need to adjust or replace something, springs?

Second is that if I use the steering wheel control picture of a phone instead of switching to the phone mode on the screen it goes to voice mode, the same as if I press the button next to it, faulty switch? Or operator naevity / error?

I'm loving the car, still getting used to and understanding its ways but wow.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Administrator
2,457 Posts
My thoughts on your first question. I have the same thing. It wasn't like that new and seems to have weakened over time (mine is 2014). I don't think there is an adjustment and I didn't want to pay the dealer.
Next week I go in for routine service and will ask about it and reply back.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hi David,
I can't tell you if there is an adjustment, mine is electric.
But as far as I know all cars have some sort of adjustment at the fixed anchor point, where you can change the position of the anchor point.

If you don't have this facility, you can resolve the problem with tie wraps, by using 3 tie wraps per spring, where you would "lock" 3 or 4 loops together, this would shorten thus strengthen the spring and keep the lid opened when on a slope.
I hope I've been clear in my explanation.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply, I did wonder if that might work. I had a quick look and can see two removable flaps in the boot. I can see the springs through them so will give it a go over the weekend. I will, let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

·
Administrator
2,457 Posts
Confirmed the springs are not adjustable and do weaken with age to the point of falling on peoples heads.
They can be replaced or you can try what Fredvr suggested.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks for the update, looks like cable ties as a first attempt, if not new springs is the only way then.

Thanks again

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thought I would update this thread for anyone with the same boot drop issue. I attached the cable ties to the springs on both sides. It worked to a point in that the boot/trunk lid no longer drops down smacking me in the head. Only issue is that the tension is now probably too high as remotely unlocking the boot means that it flys into the air quite fiercely. Anyone standing close when it goes off will probably suffer with shock. Lol.
I'm ok with it for now but will probably eventually replace the springs.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hi David, thanks for letting us know that the trick worked.
How many coils have you tied up? try to reduced the number of coils tied up may be only 2 will do the trick.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've probably overdone it tbh. I've done 4 coils each side, probably why it's so viscous. Might try it with less over the easter weekend and try to get it more gentle. Will update again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts