Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is redundant but I also posted under general since I'm basically new to the forum and wasn't sure which section to use. I've had my '17 SQ4 for over a year and it came with a 1yr extended warranty which will end 1/22. The only minor issue I've had was a purge valve, which was covered. I'm not planning on extending the warranty, but as the time draws nearer I'm a bit uncertain. It's not that I couldn't pay for an expensive repair, more that I don't want to if I don;t have to lol. I've read numerous times in general that extended warranties aren't worth it (or it wouldn't be lucrative to offer them) but I've never owned an Italian. Also, I know I had the option of extending the full Maserati warranty for an additional year at the time of the purchase, but I don't know if that's possible now or if it would be a junk warranty from a third party. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
2,572 Posts
Usually, as long as your car is still under a Maserati warranty and no accidents or reasons to fail the inspection you can extend the Maserati warranty.
The question then becomes, are you prepaying (buying insurance) for a planned failure that may or may not happen.

I added 2 years (6/100) and was pretty close to breaking even or coming out ahead. What it did provide was peace of mind that anything major found during inspection or break down would be covered. There is no right or wrong answer, in that statistically, the dealer always makes out since the warranty cost is based on experience rating plus management fees. My Wife's BMW came out ahead on extended warranty and maintenance, (it covered brakes and rotors). My SUV costs more than my Ghibli SQ4 and I will likely eat the $5K 7 year warranty I added when new ... but it's still got a year or so.

Some dealers will offer a lower cost 3rd party coverage that they will accept for repairs on your Ghibli which adds a level of comfort providing they will do all your service.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi there, I'm in the same boat. My 2017 SQ4 is going off warranty this month. I've been going back and forth on it and think I'm going to roll the dice. The dealership quoted $4900 for two years extended full warranty. Like beerguy mentioned, peace of mind is certainly worth something, but then again almost $5K for 2 years sounds like a lot. Big question for me is what's a likely worst case? From the forums I'm not seeing outright expensive failures like the needing a new engine or transmission. So it's a choice between: 1) definitely pay $5K or 2) maybe pay $10K?, $15K?, more?

Curious to hear others thoughts.

·
Registered
2017 Maserati Ghibli SQ4, 2017 RangeRover Supercharged, 2018 LandRover Sport HSE, 2012 Saburban LTZ
6 Posts
also have a 17 SQ4, and trust me friend I love my car so much but It is definitely worth while to extend the warranty. My car had absolutely no problems for the longest time and all of the sudden the power steering pump failed, since then it has needed to be replaced 2 times over the span of 2 months. It is definitely possible to get a updated warranty and your best option is through Maserati. It may cost more than a 3rd party option but it has been perfect for me. I have a friend with a MC coupe and he has had many bad experiences with his 3rd party warranty.
Love to hear more from you and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there, I'm in the same boat. My 2017 SQ4 is going off warranty this month. I've been going back and forth on it and think I'm going to roll the dice. The dealership quoted $4900 for two years extended full warranty. Like beerguy mentioned, peace of mind is certainly worth something, but then again almost $5K for 2 years sounds like a lot. Big question for me is what's a likely worst case? From the forums I'm not seeing outright expensive failures like the needing a new engine or transmission. So it's a choice between: 1) definitely pay $5K or 2) maybe pay $10K?, $15K?, more?

Curious to hear others thoughts.
Yeah, exactly my thoughts. If there isn't a trend for really expensive repairs in the next two years, I'm leaning towards rolling the dice too. The first year I owned it, it made perfect sense to make sure I wasn't getting a troubled car. It's been so good in fact, that I see the 5k not being worth the peace of mind.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry if this is redundant but I also posted under general since I'm basically new to the forum and wasn't sure which section to use. I've had my '17 SQ4 for over a year and it came with a 1yr extended warranty which will end 1/22. The only minor issue I've had was a purge valve, which was covered. I'm not planning on extending the warranty, but as the time draws nearer I'm a bit uncertain. It's not that I couldn't pay for an expensive repair, more that I don't want to if I don;t have to lol. I've read numerous times in general that extended warranties aren't worth it (or it wouldn't be lucrative to offer them) but I've never owned an Italian. Also, I know I had the option of extending the full Maserati warranty for an additional year at the time of the purchase, but I don't know if that's possible now or if it would be a junk warranty from a third party. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I have a 2016 CPO ghibli It came with one year extended warranty. I bought a second year For I believe $2500. To me it's definitely worth the peace of mind. Although I've had no problems the car runs like a top I've had nothing but fun with it. I breathe easier and sleep easier. Repairs on this car are extremely expensive. My philosophy is if you can afford the car you can afford the warranty. And if I never use it, it's a win win.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would buy the extended warranty. I have a 2016 Ghibli I bought CPO With 18000 miles. It came with one year extended warranty and I added another for around $2500. It's worth the piece of mind to me It's worth the peace of mind to me. If I never use it it's a win- win.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey guys, as my factory warranty expires in two days I'm starting to backpedal a bit on my position on whether or not to buy a 3rd party warranty. A Porsche fanatic friend pointed me to a message thread regarding the Fidelity warranty which covers the Ghibli, everything from who to buy it from and their experiences if you're interested: The Fidelity Platinum Megathread - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

If I buy it and use it, I'll definitely post my experience for my Ghibli-owning friends in the US.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts