Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my '17 SQ4 for over a year and it came with a 1yr extended warranty which will end 1/22. The only minor issue I've had was a purge valve, which was covered. I'm not planning on extending the warranty, but as the time draws nearer I'm a bit uncertain. It's not that I couldn't pay for an expensive repair, more that I don't want to if I don;t have to lol. I've read numerous times in general that extended warranties aren't worth it (or it wouldn't be lucrative to offer them) but I've never owned an Italian. Also, I know I had the option of extending the full Maserati warranty for an additional year at the time of the purchase, but I don't know if that's possible now or if it would be a junk warranty from a third party. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2017 Maserati Ghibli SQ4, 2017 RangeRover Supercharged, 2018 LandRover Sport HSE, 2012 Saburban LTZ
6 Posts
I've had my '17 SQ4 for over a year and it came with a 1yr extended warranty which will end 1/22. The only minor issue I've had was a purge valve, which was covered. I'm not planning on extending the warranty, but as the time draws nearer I'm a bit uncertain. It's not that I couldn't pay for an expensive repair, more that I don't want to if I don;t have to lol. I've read numerous times in general that extended warranties aren't worth it (or it wouldn't be lucrative to offer them) but I've never owned an Italian. Also, I know I had the option of extending the full Maserati warranty for an additional year at the time of the purchase, but I don't know if that's possible now or if it would be a junk warranty from a third party. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I also have a 17 SQ4, and trust me friend I love my car so much but It is definitely worth while to extend the warranty. My car had absolutely no problems for the longest time and all of the sudden the power steering pump failed, since then it has needed to be replaced 2 times over the span of 2 months. It is definitely possible to get a updated warranty and your best option is through Maserati. It may cost more than a 3rd party option but it has been perfect for me. I have a friend with a MC coupe and he has had many bad experiences with his 3rd party warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also have a 17 SQ4, and trust me friend I love my car so much but It is definitely worth while to extend the warranty. My car had absolutely no problems for the longest time and all of the sudden the power steering pump failed, since then it has needed to be replaced 2 times over the span of 2 months. It is definitely possible to get a updated warranty and your best option is through Maserati. It may cost more than a 3rd party option but it has been perfect for me. I have a friend with a MC coupe and he has had many bad experiences with his 3rd party warranty.
Ouch. Good to know. Any idea what that would have cost without the warranty?

·
Registered
2017 Maserati Ghibli SQ4, 2017 RangeRover Supercharged, 2018 LandRover Sport HSE, 2012 Saburban LTZ
6 Posts
Ouch. Good to know. Any idea what that would have cost without the warranty?
Since my repair was under warranty it did not include the prices but after taking a look at scuderia parts it was about $1250 for the pump, exchanger, control boxes and various lines. it took them 3.7 hours at at around 150 an hour little over $500. to play it safe I would say $1800. On the other hand if you needed to replace your steering rack its around $2500 for the part alone and I'm not sure about the labor cost. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Best,

Spencer

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
138 Posts
Just playing devil's advocate: I am not a big proponent of extended warranties for cars or appliances. Regarding appliances, most either fail quickly or last long enough to outlive the warranty. If I calculate what I would have to pay for all appliances, I can replace 1-2 every five years with what I save. That said, I bought a fancy french door refrigerator and based on a shitty experience with a different brand, but the same style, I picked up a warranty.

I only picked up one auto warranty in my life, on my 2005 Crossfire roadster because the complexity of the cable system controlling the top scared me. I think I paid $1500 and here I am sixteen years later and never used it. In fact, other than a cable slipping on the MT6, I have not had a speck of problem with the car. I still have a couple years warranty and about 30k remaining on the Ghibli, and will self-insure after the mfr warranty expires. Maybe if warranties cost <$500 I might consider one, but good coverage is expensive and the offering companies make plenty of money, indicating that the odds (like in Vegas) are in their favor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts