Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know how the dealership makes this change? Do they use the witech programmer or is there a setting on the amp itself?

·
Registered
644 Posts
the witech is a chrysler scantool. the diagnosi is what is used on maserati vehicles.
the update involves accessing the amp from the trunk by whatever trim pieces need removal and connecting a usb type cable directly to it. specific software is then used to apply the update directly through the amp.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I asked the dealer to adjust before I take delivery of the car. But was just wondering how it's done. You sound pretty familiar with it. Do you have the software at home?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took my Ghibli to the dealer and they did the change. It is amazing the difference in the sound. I do have the premium sound and it has made all of the difference in the world. They referred to it as a software update and didn't charge me thought I've only had my car a few weeks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahh. That's great to have you on the boards. I'm coming from BMWs and Audis. I had my 35D chipped and my Audi had an APR tune.

I like to tinker and there's limit information on these vehicles.

I'm hoping to take delivery of my SQ4 next week.

Thanks for your replies!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Ahh. That's great to have you on the boards. I'm coming from BMWs and Audis. I had my 35D chipped and my Audi had an APR tune.

I like to tinker and there's limit information on these vehicles.

I'm hoping to take delivery of my SQ4 next week.

Thanks for your replies!
the market for maserati is so much smaller at present than bmw and audi that there is even less aftermarket support/interest for tinkering. formula dynamics is one of the few companies that partakes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i'm very familiar with it. i don't have it at home. i have it at work though. i'm a technician.
Does anyone know which dealer will make this decibel change to the amp? I live in Wisconsin and all the dealers I have talked to here and in Chicago have no clue what I am talking about. I have a 2014 Ghibli with the premium sound system and it sounds like a cheap clock radio.

·
Administrator
2,498 Posts
Does anyone know which dealer will make this decibel change to the amp? I live in Wisconsin and all the dealers I have talked to here and in Chicago have no clue what I am talking about. I have a 2014 Ghibli with the premium sound system and it sounds like a cheap clock radio.
They all have the capability. It was campaign 263 AMP software update performed according to MTB #204
There was a Maserati technical bulletin (MTB) which increased the Amp boost to 10dB (from 7dB). They access the amp in the trunk.

·
Registered
4 Posts
They all have the capability. It was campaign 263 AMP software update performed according to MTB #204
There was a Maserati technical bulletin (MTB) which increased the Amp boost to 10dB (from 7dB). They access the amp in the trunk.
Thanks Beer Guy. I was actually able to get my hands on that technical service bulletin and it explains the 7 decibel and 10 decibel software clear as day. Now I am trying to explain to the dealer how to do this procedure as no one in Wisconsin or Chicago has done it. They also said they don’t have the cable to hook from their scan tool to the amp. I thinks it’s an old style usb so I may just buy one to give to them. Maserati is supposed to supply one but since my campaign has already been done (to the 7db software) they can’t get one from Maserati. They are also charging me $200 to do it.

·
Administrator
2,498 Posts
Thanks Beer Guy. I was actually able to get my hands on that technical service bulletin and it explains the 7 decibel and 10 decibel software clear as day. Now I am trying to explain to the dealer how to do this procedure as no one in Wisconsin or Chicago has done it. They also said they don’t have the cable to hook from their scan tool to the amp. I thinks it’s an old style usb so I may just buy one to give to them. Maserati is supposed to supply one but since my campaign has already been done (to the 7db software) they can’t get one from Maserati. They are also charging me $200 to do it.
Glad you found the info.
I believe they used a Diagnosi laptop to download software and connected that to the AMP for update. I can say beyond a doubt that one of the dealerships in Chicago (or area) has been doing the updates. Cpl_Punishmen who is no longer active worked at the Chicago Maserati dealer that did these software updates.
Too bad they are charging you, since it should have been done under warranty ... but many dealers didn't offer the service unless you complained.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Glad you found the info.
I believe they used a Diagnosi laptop to download software and connected that to the AMP for update. I can say beyond a doubt that one of the dealerships in Chicago (or area) has been doing the updates. Cpl_Punishmen who is no longer active worked at the Chicago Maserati dealer that did these software updates.
Too bad they are charging you, since it should have been done under warranty ... but many dealers didn't offer the service unless you complained.
You are correct. They use the Diagnosi to download one of the two software options, then transfer those to the amp through the usb cable. The procedure says that if the customer complained of vibrations, install the 7db software which is what I imagine happened with mine. I can’t seem to find a dealer in Chicago that is familiar but now that I have the procedure I’ll try to walk the Milwaukee, WI dealership through it.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

·
Administrator
2,498 Posts
The procedure says that if the customer complained of vibrations, install the 7db software which is what I imagine happened with mine.
2014's Premium came out stock with 7db. The original fix for poor bass was the increase to 10db. The newer cars came with the boost, but some would rattle like crazy on the parcel shelf so to solve they dropped back to 7db. The proper fix was 10db and Dynamat insulation in trunk to address rattle. It also appeared cars with rear sunshade were less prone to rattle. I have rear sunshade, 10db and dealer installed Dynamat with no rattles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2014's Premium came out stock with 7db. The original fix for poor bass was the increase to 10db. The newer cars came with the boost, but some would rattle like crazy on the parcel shelf so to solve they dropped back to 7db. The proper fix was 10db and Dynamat insulation in trunk to address rattle. It also appeared cars with rear sunshade were less prone to rattle. I have rear sunshade, 10db and dealer installed Dynamat with no rattles.
Makes sense
I have the dynamat and also the 263 amp service bulliten was already performed so they must have gone with the 7db. If this all goes smoothly I may even replace the sub with a 10” JL audio sub. I already bought the sub but would need to build an adapter. I’m toying with the idea of drawing up an adapter and 3D printing it.
I wish I had the sunshade. That seems like a nice option.
Additionally my FM radio reception is terrible. I pulled the radio and tried 5 off the shelf antennas. They are much better but not where they should be. I bought a used factory head unit to see if that resolves it. I also took the car to the dealer for all this and they claim getting no stations is normal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts