Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a few Ghiblis both on the forums and around SoCal that have removed any visible chrome from the car. The most common route seems to be going Black Out.

I have a '14 Nero Ribelle and was considering getting all the chrome completed in Ferrari Red. Thhis would be the front grille, door handles, window trim strips and trunk light cover + badges.

Would love some thoughts and or opinions.

Thanks in advance!

·
GhibliForum.com Vendor
324 Posts
I think the color choice is really up to you but I would suggest using vinyl wrap to cover the chrome, works great and allows you to easily return it to stock if you want to when you sell it. Just take each part off by hand, cut the wrap to size, install it or have a shop do it for you.

Best Regards,

·
Registered
140 Posts
Agreed. I had mine wrapped. Can be removed pretty easily. You can see pictures in my introduction thread if you'd like. Would be really interested in seeing it dechromed in a color other than black.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
How does one go about wrapping the chrome and where does one buy the wrap to do so? Love the look of your car and the chrome on my has to go! Thx

·
GhibliForum.com Vendor
324 Posts
You can buy rolls of adhesive backed colored vinyl online or through any graphics shop near you. They come in quite a few colors, it's just a matter of picking what you like cutting a piece out, cleaning the factory piece well and wrapping the visible face. A heat gun helps but it can be a good bit of work since this shouldn't be attempted on the car, the parts should be removed first.

Many automotive shops are now doing this work also so you may be able to get a quote at a local performance or wheel shop. I'm sure there are youtube videos out there as well.

Best Regards,

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've had multiple shops look at wrapping the door handles and no one is willing to do it saying that it will not come out right. Regardless, if you're new to wrapping, you're probably going to want a pro to do it as it's quite difficult on any surface that isn't flat and the chrome parts to be wrapped on the Ghibli are difficult/ impossible to just remove from the car

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've had multiple shops look at wrapping the door handles and no one is willing to do it saying that it will not come out right. Regardless, if you're new to wrapping, you're probably going to want a pro to do it as it's quite difficult on any surface that isn't flat and the chrome parts to be wrapped on the Ghibli are difficult/ impossible to just remove from the car

I think my handles came out pretty nicely. I was told by the shop that was wrapping my car that the maserati door handles require a special tool they had to get from the maserati dealership to remove the handles. I'm not sure exactly how true that is but I've had at least 4 of my cars wrapped at this shop and they've always done an amazing job. I agree completely though it all depends on how "able" you are as far as working on your vehicle. I have a tendency to pull and twist things too hard so I always break a clip or something sometimes worse, which Is why I always leave it to the pros or at least someone more inclined at doing so then I

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
284 Posts
Wrapped my trim. One of the first mods I did immediately after driving off the lot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dipped trim, mirrors, door handles, badges and grille... Looks neat if you keep at a steady pace with the plasti dip you can make clean lines without much of a mess... Will post some pics for you guys to see the finished product

·
Registered
281 Posts
Dipped trim, mirrors, door handles, badges and grille... Looks neat if you keep at a steady pace with the plasti dip you can make clean lines without much of a mess... Will post some pics for you guys to see the finished product
How'd you do the handles?

·
Registered
9 Posts
How'd you do the handles?

Whatsup FLdoc... the handles weren't that tricky as you think I started by getting an old sheet I had laying around the house cutting a rectangular hole in the center of the sheet that would fit the handle then masked off the rectangular shape to the car draping it to all the sides to prevent over spray... I cleaned the handles well enough then started to spray a total of 6 coats... don't worry about getting the paint on the car it will peel right off after 6 coats and rip away from the handle when peeling... it really does work perfect... I did mine in August and still haven't had any trouble peeling (so far)... if you have any other questions please ask... good luck and take your time with it!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Whatsup FLdoc... the handles weren't that tricky as you think I started by getting an old sheet I had laying around the house cutting a rectangular hole in the center of the sheet that would fit the handle then masked off the rectangular shape to the car draping it to all the sides to prevent over spray... I cleaned the handles well enough then started to spray a total of 6 coats... don't worry about getting the paint on the car it will peel right off after 6 coats and rip away from the handle when peeling... it really does work perfect... I did mine in August and still haven't had any trouble peeling (so far)... if you have any other questions please ask... good luck and take your time with it!

Thanks!
Did you spray the under side of the handle? If so, any effect on the keyless entry function (door unlocking when you grab the handle)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks!
Did you spray the under side of the handle? If so, any effect on the keyless entry function (door unlocking when you grab the handle)

Ya the first coat make it about 50% visibility then go heavier with the next 5 coats hitting all angles under the handle, top, sides, and even key hole... let it dry for a few hours and then remove all masking tape and sheet(if you use those items)... just be careful ripping the dip around the handles sometimes it may stick depending on how heavy that area was sprayed, keep handy a razor just incase it doesn't rip easily... don't worry about the keyless function the sensor will still work, I have no problems opening the door when grabbing the handle... my friend even did it on his Jeep and worked perfect!

Your welcome FLdoc;)!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks!

Ya the first coat make it about 50% visibility then go heavier with the next 5 coats hitting all angles under the handle, top, sides, and even key hole... let it dry for a few hours and then remove all masking tape and sheet(if you use those items)... just be careful ripping the dip around the handles sometimes it may stick depending on how heavy that area was sprayed, keep handy a razor just incase it doesn't rip easily... don't worry about the keyless function the sensor will still work, I have no problems opening the door when grabbing the handle... my friend even did it on his Jeep and worked perfect!

Your welcome FLdoc
!
Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Coming back to this topic, I'd love to see some photos of both PlastiDip and Wraps. I should be able to do this myself. I'm not sure about the emblems though, that could be tough!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts