Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I left my Ghibli at a collision center from oct 11 to nov 22, i got the car back and after driving a bit got low voltage codes and when i looked the voltage would jump around from 12.4 to 14.7. At idle it would go to 13 and drop .1 every few seconds until the engine light would go back on. under load it would stay low but at cruising (going 40 mph without gas peddle depressed) the voltage would be in the 14-15 volt range. As soon as stoped to idle again right to 13/12.9 and then a .1 decrease every few seconds. So i charged it with the charger i got with the car and it said all good in the morning but as soon as i drive it does the same stuff and i get like a P0137 code sometimes (low voltage to oxygen sensor) and when i shut the car off voltage goes to under 12.4 and is in the red.

So my question is should i contact the body shop about this? like is it their fault? It is a maserati body shop that specializes in Ferraris and Maseratis and is right next door to the dealer and service. so i would wager they know to charge the battery if left untouched fore more than 2 weeks. the manual says the battery would prematurely lose life if left dead for an extended length of time.

so do i contact the body shop cause its theif fault or do i just go buy a new battery for Ike $400?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Not sure that this can be definitively hung on the shop (cause and effect unrelated to you or the vehicle). Despite being a specialized shop I also would not automatically expect them to plug it in without direction either. Don't know age or original condition of the battery and thus hard to say whether it was already on its way out. A lot of short driving often is not enough to maintain a strong charge too. Some of the symptoms you describe may point to the charging system, as indicated by the voltage jumping around. 13.5-14.5V at 3-4K RPM is normal operation. 15V is getting near over-charging. You could actually get away with a marginal charging system for a while, at the cost of eating batteries.
The CPU and sub-systems are very sensitive to voltage. Once discharged below a threshold for very long the battery is typically compromised and though it can still be charged will have a harder time maintaining the charge or CCA under load. I'd get a new battery (esp if more than 4-5 years old) and strongly consider a diagnostic on the charging system (if battery much newer).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts