Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to share the nightmare of a high mileage Ghibli. We have a 2014 base model that is an everyday driver and at about about 45,000 miles we had it in the shop with rattling under the hood. The service advisor told us it was a normal sound and that all of the cars do it. A few months later the car was out of warranty and we took it to a non-dealer mechanic (BTW - if you live in SoCal use Mark Douglas Motors). They discovered that the clips that stop the rattling on the waste gates were gone, as were the 'C' clips that hold the waste gate actuators in place, and there was a huge amount of slop in the waste gate movement. The diagnosis for the repair was for new turbos on both sides. Because none of the components of the turbos can be purchased individually, you have to buy the entire manifold, turbo, actuator assembly for like $3500 / side.

I went back to the dealership and reminded them about my previous visit and they refused to do anything because the car was now out of warranty. The dealership gave me a quote higher than the original. I opened a case with Maserati directly and got the worst service of my life, phone not answered, calls un-returned, agent lying about leaving messages when I complained about the lack of service. That case was also ultimately denied.

I finally found Pacific Motors in Michigan, and found some good used turbos for less than $1k/side and had them put on.

Beware of these cars as the mileage creeps up, and I hope this helps someone else.

·
Registered
49 Posts
45k isn’t really high mileage. I’m amazed that Maserati released this car to rapidly increase sales but don’t stand behind their product. They should be chucking money at it and accepting faults to enable them to compete with the likes of BMW. Unless they can shake the reputation they are not going to succeed in their quest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
525 Posts
If I remember there was a "call back" modification for this rattling problem due to that clip. Did it get done under warranty?

Some guys on the forum will be more aware of the issue.
If you search the forum you will find more info.

The outlook on a car is quite often the way your dealt with by the Dealers.

·
Administrator
2,414 Posts
The waste gate rattle was more sound annoyance as opposed to performance or mechanical. The program was done under a Maserati campaign, plus all those cars were under warranty at the time.
The mid 2015 had changes to reduce the waste gate rattle ... but you will also note a less deep, raw sound from the car after Maserati made that change, (and restore emissions compliance for the MY14).

Again, not knowing the driving history for the vehicle, some of those MY14 cars were pushed hard by the owners combined with the original turbo boost program, (which was modified as part of emissions compliance).

·
Registered
28 Posts
my 2014 sq4 has now 73k miles
reliable? not really but I bought it because it's sexy as **** and a blast to drive
as soon as it breaks down again I will be calling it a pos, lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wanted to share the nightmare of a high mileage Ghibli. We have a 2014 base model that is an everyday driver and at about about 45,000 miles we had it in the shop with rattling under the hood. The service advisor told us it was a normal sound and that all of the cars do it. A few months later the car was out of warranty and we took it to a non-dealer mechanic (BTW - if you live in SoCal use Mark Douglas Motors). They discovered that the clips that stop the rattling on the waste gates were gone, as were the 'C' clips that hold the waste gate actuators in place, and there was a huge amount of slop in the waste gate movement. The diagnosis for the repair was for new turbos on both sides. Because none of the components of the turbos can be purchased individually, you have to buy the entire manifold, turbo, actuator assembly for like $3500 / side.

I went back to the dealership and reminded them about my previous visit and they refused to do anything because the car was now out of warranty. The dealership gave me a quote higher than the original. I opened a case with Maserati directly and got the worst service of my life, phone not answered, calls un-returned, agent lying about leaving messages when I complained about the lack of service. That case was also ultimately denied.

I finally found Pacific Motors in Michigan, and found some good used turbos for less than $1k/side and had them put on.

Beware of these cars as the mileage creeps up, and I hope this helps someone else.
Hello I’m having the same issue, do you remember the site your purchased the turbos?

·
Registered
1 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts