Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I signed with the devil today, so to speak. Car has been in transit for some time now, but paperwork is finalized. It's an S Q4, Grigio Maratea with the Rosso interior & carbon trim, Premium, Luxury & Sport packages and 20" Urano wheels. Should be at the dealership within the next couple of days, unfortunately I'll have to wait until the weekend to take delivery as I'll be tied up most of the week (but what's another couple of days at this point, right?).

Pics to follow, and I guess Ill have to change my username at some point, as the Audi will be going...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nope, painted. Didn't like the look of the polished but that's just personal preference. Car was a locate so was already built that way.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have the Uranos in a titanium look….they are darker then the typical "silver" wheels. Which are they and what do the other one's look like? Chrome?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so I ended up having to wait a little longer due to some unrelated issues, but I have finally picked up my new Ghibli and all I can say is: wow!! The details: it's an S Q4 in Grigio Maratea with the Rosso interior (and nero headliner), carbon fiber trim, premium, luxury and sport packages. The wheels are 20" Uranos (painted, not polished, over red brake calipers). In other words, it's a stunner if I do say so myself.

OUT WITH THE OLD:

IN WITH THE NEW:

Yes, I know these pictures are awful (and my garage is a mess) but it's been a busy week and I hope to have better ones to share this weekend.

Initial thoughts (in no particular order):

Car is tight, well balanced, solid, feels planted at all speeds, and no rattles to speak of. I do sense some initial throttle hesitation, but need to spend some more time to determine if it's simply my perception after coming from a naturally aspirated V8 or truly a lag issue. I'm also getting the tire scrubbing when first starting out on cold rubber. Will need to wait this one out and see how it breaks in over time.

Base audio is fine for now (I'm no audiophile), I've been listening to the exhaust mostly but am beginning to worry what the neighbors might think with me winding it up all the time! Not much soundproofing in the wheel wells - I can hear every bit of gravel the tires pick up. Might have something to do with the 285mm-wide steamrollers in the back! The sport suspension and 20" Uranos are a perfect combination - ride is firm when it should be and supple when you want it to be.

Seat is comfortable, but having a hard time getting settled into the perfect position for some reason. Wish the seat bottom were longer or had a thigh extension. I was worried the paddle shifters would get in the way of the turn signal stalk, but have found that this is not at all the case. Rear seats have plenty of room for my growing boys, though that's not saying much coming from my previous car.

Need to learn not to rest my hand on the transmission lever as I did with my S5's manual - keep bumping it into manual mode (not that there's anything wrong with that!). Speaking of the transmission lever - did it take anyone else a while to get used to pressing the button and selecting the right gear? Going to drive is relatively straightforward but it seems like I always miss reverse from either direction.

Visibility is not that great considering the size of the car (and it's a lot bigger than I remembered from the test drive), especially coming from my Audi coupe which had a fairly substantial greenhouse. The B pillars are massive - good for rigidity but tough for over the shoulder glances. Again, just something I'm going to have to get used to.

I don't understand the complaints about switchgear. Coming from Audi, known to have some of the finest interiors in the business, I see nothing negative about Maserati's choices, though longevity may be an issue. The UConnect system, while not as polished as Audi's MMI, is far easier to use with the touchscreen than the many button pushes required in the Audi.

Fit and finish is merely adequate (though I'm picky), many inconsistent gaps in body panels, rear lights not seated well, some interior seams misaligned, but really nothing too noticeable or surprising given it's a first generation model. Other than the couple of subjective points I made earlier, I don't seem to have any of the issues others are having (e.g. windows not going up, inconsistent satellite radio signal, speaker rattles, squeaky brakes, turbo whine, etc).

All wheel drive kicks in a LOT, the car really does't seem like it's primarily rear wheel drive biased. Might have something to do with new tires and the crud still on the roads from the tough winter we just went through. I'll say it again though - the drive is superb, the car just wants to go and go. It's going to be hard to keep the use of sport mode within reason for the first 600 or so miles of break-in.

Anyway, just some stream of consciousness thoughts from the first 50 miles I've driven it. Sorry for the longish post. I hope to spend some longer time behind the wheel this weekend and really "bond", after which I'll add some updated thoughts. To those of you still contemplating a purchase - DO IT, you won't regret it!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Ok, so I ended up having to wait a little longer due to some unrelated issues, but I have finally picked up my new Ghibli and all I can say is: wow!! The details: it's an S Q4 in Grigio Maratea with the Rosso interior (and nero headliner), carbon fiber trim, premium, luxury and sport packages. The wheels are 20" Uranos (painted, not polished, over red brake calipers). In other words, it's a stunner if I do say so myself.

OUT WITH THE OLD:

IN WITH THE NEW:

Yes, I know these pictures are awful (and my garage is a mess) but it's been a busy week and I hope to have better ones to share this weekend.

Initial thoughts (in no particular order):

Car is tight, well balanced, solid, feels planted at all speeds, and no rattles to speak of. I do sense some initial throttle hesitation, but need to spend some more time to determine if it's simply my perception after coming from a naturally aspirated V8 or truly a lag issue. I'm also getting the tire scrubbing when first starting out on cold rubber. Will need to wait this one out and see how it breaks in over time.

Base audio is fine for now (I'm no audiophile), I've been listening to the exhaust mostly but am beginning to worry what the neighbors might think with me winding it up all the time! Not much soundproofing in the wheel wells - I can hear every bit of gravel the tires pick up. Might have something to do with the 285mm-wide steamrollers in the back! The sport suspension and 20" Uranos are a perfect combination - ride is firm when it should be and supple when you want it to be.

Seat is comfortable, but having a hard time getting settled into the perfect position for some reason. Wish the seat bottom were longer or had a thigh extension. I was worried the paddle shifters would get in the way of the turn signal stalk, but have found that this is not at all the case. Rear seats have plenty of room for my growing boys, though that's not saying much coming from my previous car.

Need to learn not to rest my hand on the transmission lever as I did with my S5's manual - keep bumping it into manual mode (not that there's anything wrong with that!). Speaking of the transmission lever - did it take anyone else a while to get used to pressing the button and selecting the right gear? Going to drive is relatively straightforward but it seems like I always miss reverse from either direction.

Visibility is not that great considering the size of the car (and it's a lot bigger than I remembered from the test drive), especially coming from my Audi coupe which had a fairly substantial greenhouse. The B pillars are massive - good for rigidity but tough for over the shoulder glances. Again, just something I'm going to have to get used to.

I don't understand the complaints about switchgear. Coming from Audi, known to have some of the finest interiors in the business, I see nothing negative about Maserati's choices, though longevity may be an issue. The UConnect system, while not as polished as Audi's MMI, is far easier to use with the touchscreen than the many button pushes required in the Audi.

Fit and finish is merely adequate (though I'm picky), many inconsistent gaps in body panels, rear lights not seated well, some interior seams misaligned, but really nothing too noticeable or surprising given it's a first generation model. Other than the couple of subjective points I made earlier, I don't seem to have any of the issues others are having (e.g. windows not going up, inconsistent satellite radio signal, speaker rattles, squeaky brakes, turbo whine, etc).

All wheel drive kicks in a LOT, the car really does't seem like it's primarily rear wheel drive biased. Might have something to do with new tires and the crud still on the roads from the tough winter we just went through. I'll say it again though - the drive is superb, the car just wants to go and go. It's going to be hard to keep the use of sport mode within reason for the first 600 or so miles of break-in.

Anyway, just some stream of consciousness thoughts from the first 50 miles I've driven it. Sorry for the longish post. I hope to spend some longer time behind the wheel this weekend and really "bond", after which I'll add some updated thoughts. To those of you still contemplating a purchase - DO IT, you won't regret it!
Congrats!!!! Great review also. Can't agree more with what you said.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I agree with blind spots, car is big. I still have trans problem but my wife has none. It takes a soft touch I'm not used to from my Merc and our Audi's.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Excellent detailed review!! Few comments. Use the gear shifter like a joy stick just a tap gets the job done. From drive to reverse tap tap....park to reverse tap......it is actually very easy I drive around in manual sports mode and I make her sing!!! Not late at night or Sunday mornings.......all other times sorry too bad............

Seat....Try shifting the front of the seat up and the rear back should help.....

Fit and finish - you are more demanding than me but I really never thought about it but I will take a closer look but the car as you say is solid and drives like a beast so........

Oh yeah if you are getting more than 12.5 MPG.........drive more in sports manual mode!!! LOL!!

Congrats enjoy your very nice new ride!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Congrats essfive!!! It is a beauty.

The configuration you chose sounds perfect too. I am leaning towards an almost identical set-up.

Looking forward to more shots :)

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Sam

·
Administrator
2,572 Posts
Essfive: Congratulations on your new Ghibli ... it is superb. You joined the growing ranks of Grigio Maratea owners which seems to led the polls. I have pretty much the same car but with the Cuoio interior. Do you have the date of manufacture (month/year) in door jamb. Just curious. Mind is 12/2013 and I too have been fortunate with lack of defects ... so far.

Interesting through I have the 20" Urano's too. My specification and window sticker show polished but the factory build sheet item number is not correct for polished. The polished look nothing like chrome; from your picture you would be hard pressed to tell my "polished" from your "painted" wheels looking at the pictures. My second set of 20" winter wheels are gunmetal and those look like a painted titanium/gray color so figure polished doesn't mean chrome like in Maserati terms.

The shifter ... yes, at 300 miles I'm still getting used to the joystick concept. I occasionally look like a driver trying to learn a standard when I try to pull out of parking spots.

Hope you don't have high expectations for MPG ... I'm averaging 13.5 MPG around town in old man mode and 23 on highway, (youthful mode).

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Beerguy and others - thanks for the cheers.

I really liked the blue, but felt I needed a change and have always liked dark gray on cars. I also really wanted the rosso interior, and thought the blue/red combo might be too dramatic for me (no offense to others, as I think there are one or two on this forum with that combo).

Meant to check the build date, but I assume it is fairly recent as the car arrived at port on 3/19/14.

My picture does not do the wheels justice. They are a dark gray, polished in that the paint is reflective, but not chromed. I think wheels with the chrome look is simply a machine finishing of the metal surface of the wheel, but I could be mistaken. Will take better shots soon.

Regarding the shifter, I've been in a couple of situations where I thought I was in reverse, only to find the car in neutral and the engine revving like crazy. (Think I scared some people with the sound!)

As for mileage, it can't be much worse than the 14.5 I averaged in the S5...but time will tell.

·
Administrator
2,572 Posts
essfive: Mine arrived in port around 3/3 and took delivery on 3/14. That seems to tie in with the 12/13 build date. Do you plan to add winter tires and drive the car in winter. I used to live in NE and my daughter was in Boston / Dorchester area for some pretty heavy snow fall ... good thing she had all-wheel drive.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
essfive: Mine arrived in port around 3/3 and took delivery on 3/14. That seems to tie in with the 12/13 build date. Do you plan to add winter tires and drive the car in winter. I used to live in NE and my daughter was in Boston / Dorchester area for some pretty heavy snow fall ... good thing she had all-wheel drive.
Yup, this will be a year-round daily driver for me. Always had some sort of AWD vehicle (with the exception of an FD series twin-turbo RX-7 in my youth) as it's almost a requirement around Boston. I'll look into getting a second set of wheels with snows at some point.

Just checked the door jamb - 2/14 date of manufacture. Pretty quick turnaround time!! I'll keep everyone updated as far as issues but hopefully most had been ironed out by that point.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts