Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,

Did some of you modify your air intake filters and see any performance increase ?
apparently the BMC filters are great , did you try any other filters, any recommendations ?

thanks !

·
Administrator
2,409 Posts
I did the BMC filters. I didn't measure any performance increase with filter alone since I included an ECU tune around the same time. The Ghibli has 2 huge factory filters ... I don't think there is as much of a benefit. I removed the BMC filters every couple years to clean / re-oil them. Right now I have the original factory air filters from 2014 back in the car. I will add the BMC back again come spring, and have another spare set of factory filters provided under maintenance agreement. Service saw I had BMC so put two filters in trunk for future needs.
I have used K&N in other cars with good results. I do use the readily available K&N kit to re-oil my BMC filters.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Oil is added to aid the filtration. Without the oil, the cotton gauze layers are too porous to offer reasonable filtration. The OE paper filter elements are relatively more restrictive but offer better filtration. While the BMC/K&N filters can be washed, oiled and reused, the OE filters can only be replaced.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Oil is added to aid the filtration. Without the oil, the cotton gauze layers are too porous to offer reasonable filtration. The OE paper filter elements are relatively more restrictive but offer better filtration. While the BMC/K&N filters can be washed, oiled and reused, the OE filters can only be replaced.
I see, Thank you very much (y)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am using the k&n filters for 3 years now. I vacuum the housing clean the filters once a year when I do the oil change
I never oiled them dont want to risk getting oil on the maf
adding the filters and doing the muffler mod (flaps open all the time) noticed it pulls harder

·
Registered
87 Posts
the oil is part of filtration process used by these "high performance" filters like K&N. Certain amount of oil is must or the filter isn't going to filter sufficiently for the smaller particles. After wash, I'd saturate the filter and let it sit overnight, then use compressed air to blow off excess. I've not had issue with oil on MAF all these years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
the oil is part of filtration process used by these "high performance" filters like K&N. Certain amount of oil is must or the filter isn't going to filter sufficiently for the smaller particles. After wash, I'd saturate the filter and let it sit overnight, then use compressed air to blow off excess. I've not had issue with oil on MAF all these years.
What air pressure are you using on your compressor when blowing the "extra/residual" oil from the filter after re-applying the oil?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don’t have exact answer. The idea is that there should not have that excess of oil on the filter element that would come off as engine runs so that MAF doesn’t get covered by oil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts