Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that want to " upgrade" the functionality of the factory unit without buying a 1200 dollar tesla screen this tip may be for you.

A 10" tablet fits perfectly over the factory radio screen. Larger tablets will work and can be used in landscape or portrait position depending on how you set it up.

This is what I did. I purchaed a 10" digiland tablet from best buy on sale for 69.00. I loaded the tablet with my jb4 app for the car, waze, spotify and pandora. Also an EQ booster app allowing me to get a little more volume out of it. I loaded several of my tv streaming apps, and I also put a kodi build on it which allowes me to watch anything from movies at the theater to live tv. You can load an sd card with music too. So basically load
any android app you like. If you choose to use a Ipad then do the same.

The tablet is connected to the ghiblis blue tooth. So what you play on the tablet will sound through the cars speakers.

My cell phone is by verision and I turn on Hotspot and connect the tablet to the phone.

Phone is put charging in the center counsel plugged in to a mini usb to cigarette lighter charger.

Next is the mounting. I decided on a type of stick on magnetic mounts sold at Walmart. I cleaned the face of the radio with alcohol where the tabs would mount and carefully placed them as far as I could on each side all the way at the top of the factory radio. Next I attached the magnets to the mounts and cleaned the area on the tablet where they would land. I peeled the paper off and carefully lined up the tablet where I wanted it and pushed it to the magnets with the sticky tape exposed. Now you can remove the tablet as much as you like.

By putting the mounts at the top I can get two looks/ functions.

One covers the screen completely the other lets you use both if you rotate the tablet. ( screen will autorotate)

For a true tesla screen look you could find a larger tablet that when placed in " portrait mode " would resemble the taller but narrow tesla screen.

Doing this offers me so much flexibility when going on road trips. I can:

Run waze on the factory radio using my phone and andriof auto and put a movie or ball game going on the tablet.

Run waze on the factory and jb4 on the tablet

Run waze, spotify and jb4 without plugging in the phone to android auto.

Several more combinations

I have attached a few pictures of my set up. Give me a shout if you have any questions or want more pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Black Maserati Ghibli SQ4 (Named "Bella")
72 Posts
It looks very nice. One warning though, and you can see in my post regarding my cracked nav screen. My guess is that sooner or later the tablet gets leaned on or bumped the wrong way, and I envision the mounts you placed on the oem screen to pressure crack the screen. Something to be aware and cautious of.

I don't know why nobody likes the oem nav/radio, personally. I like it, and it suits my purposes just fine. I would like to have googlemaps instead of the Garmin, so may add the carplay behind dash module to the oem system, but it's also not a huge deal to me to just use my phone to navigate anyway.

But, in the end, it's our differences that make life and people enjoyable to me, so though I don't see the need or reason for it myself, I'm glad that you do and figured a great way to accomplish it.

Cheers from Texas !

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My biggest reson for doung this was the JB4. I will explain a bit. In my perfect seated position I cannot see my tachometer red line. The steering wheel blocks it. Thats risky manually shifting the car at full throttle with 27lbs of boost flowing. So I add the tach to the jb4 screen and set the shift indicator to 6500. Now the entire screen on the tablet flashes when its time to shift. Its a huge shift light that doesn't require you to take your eyes off the road.

Otherwise it is impossible to manually shift without hitting the rev limitor and causing a huge misfire.

Next is on a trip I can run waze for directions or watching for cops and my wife can watch an astros game! Or whatever else she wants. The sound is playing through the speakers so for ne driving its like listening to the game.

The stock navigation will never work for me because it doesn't show cops, traffic jams or wrecks. Its pretty much worthless.

So its using Android auto, which is wired. And it requires the use of the only usb port we have. I have a huge library of music loaded on a USB stick. On a trip radio stations are constantly changing, it gets frustrating. It just so happens that when I need my road trip music I am also needing waze, which requires my phone. And I can't have both.

You can do everything I explained with a phone. But at 52 I can't see crap on my phone without taking time to focus on it. The tablet is easy to see in any conditions.

If your in SE Texas shoot me a pm. I would love to get a gathering of a bunch of us for a lunch or dinner.

On weekends we usually hit the roads and go on day trips to Auston, San Antonio, Huntsville and we are always in Galveston!

·
Registered
2015 Black Maserati Ghibli SQ4 (Named "Bella")
72 Posts
I completely get the eyes at 52 ! I'm 50, and my eye doctor gave me an RX with bifocals last year. What a prick...

I'm in NE Texas, in Rockwall, but getting together would be fun.

I've only seen two other ghibli's around here, both driven by soccer mom types, so not much of a chance for a BBQ get together in my area ! 🤣. Or maybe, nope, nope, nevermind..... 🤣

·
Registered
304 Posts
Twenty seven pounds of boost?! Was that a typo?

·
Administrator
2,752 Posts
It's possible with tune. I think stock the SQ4 is around 16 pounds (net of atmosphere). When I did a data check on the ENZO tune years ago I was running upwards of 25-26 psi (net) which is pushing it for our turbo's.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No its not a type-o, as of right now my " street" map is making 23-25psi on 93 and 3 gallons of e85. I call for this at 3600 rpm thru 5500 then I drop it for the shift because the bleed off was letting it hit the rev limiter when shifting causing misfires. My boost pressure is not perfectly consistent. It usually peaks and then drops a couple psi. I know why its happening, We just need to tune around it. And I need a fuel boost pump. LOL. Even on this map the car is very fast.
In my "Race map" where I don't come off boost at the shift I must shift it manually at 6,000 or even 5,900 to stop hitting the rev limiter.
The car usually barks the tires when the boost hits in either in first gear or even when cruising at 2000 in 2nd or 3rd and nailing it. It pulls HARD. My best 0-60 has been 4.3 and its usually at 4.5. I am fighting traction past that and cannot call for more than 17 -20psi at 3000 , and 13-15 at 2500 or my 0-60 drops drastically. it feels fun, like I am doing something but its slower. If I had drag tires I know it can get much better.

I stopped experimenting with it at 25-27psi( boost is not perfectly consistent across the rpm range. Logs show I am beginning to run out of fuel) This car does some funny stuff at that much boost even with a boost controller and aftermarket boost control solenoid at that psi. I hate to keep hammering on my car in the name of testing. I will schedule some more dyno time at Euro charged as soon as we get a cool front and the IATs are lower than 90-100 degrees!

FYI: I am in my mid 50's and have been street racing Camaros and corvettes all of my adult life with a good bit of track time sprinkled in. I can honesty say that they way this car squats, when the boost comes on, if I keep traction I will give most of the cars out there a run for their money. 4.3-4.5 0-60 and Low 12s in the quarter, CONSISTANTLY on the street, on street tires, is lethal to all the untrained drivers trying to launch a 800hp car on street tires, on the street, or one who thinks smoking the tires for blocks wins races. I believe that's why so many young-ins these days want to race at a 40 roll. They have the HP but not the tires or the skills to get it off the line. I have beat a few SRT chargers by several cars in the quarter, but I wont allow them to draw me in at a 40 roll.

I know most of this community is not at all concerned about performance, and probably has little to no experience with performance modification. I have seen theory and Ideas that have been tested and proven to work years ago on other boards are still refuted here. I believe that's why information on what we can do and what we cant get away with is so hard to come by. I wish we had a page, section or FB group dedicated to those wanting increase performance and reliability. I have tone of experience using HP Tuners with an LS engine and I WISH Hp Tuners would work with this car. Then you would see something!

·
Administrator
2,752 Posts
No its not a type-o, as of right now my " street" map is making 23-25psi on 93 and 3 gallons of e85. I call for this at 3600 rpm thru 5500 then I drop it for the shift because the bleed off was letting it hit the rev limiter when shifting causing misfires. My boost pressure is not perfectly consistent. It usually peaks and then drops a couple psi. I know why its happening, We just need to tune around it. And I need a fuel boost pump. LOL. Even on this map the car is very fast.
In my "Race map" where I don't come off boost at the shift I must shift it manually at 6,000 or even 5,900 to stop hitting the rev limiter.
The car usually barks the tires when the boost hits in either in first gear or even when cruising at 2000 in 2nd or 3rd and nailing it. It pulls HARD. My best 0-60 has been 4.3 and its usually at 4.5. I am fighting traction past that and cannot call for more than 17 -20psi at 3000 , and 13-15 at 2500 or my 0-60 drops drastically. it feels fun, like I am doing something but its slower. If I had drag tires I know it can get much better.

I stopped experimenting with it at 25-27psi( boost is not perfectly consistent across the rpm range. Logs show I am beginning to run out of fuel) This car does some funny stuff at that much boost even with a boost controller and aftermarket boost control solenoid at that psi. I hate to keep hammering on my car in the name of testing. I will schedule some more dyno time at Euro charged as soon as we get a cool front and the IATs are lower than 90-100 degrees!

FYI: I am in my mid 50's and have been street racing Camaros and corvettes all of my adult life with a good bit of track time sprinkled in. I can honesty say that they way this car squats, when the boost comes on, if I keep traction I will give most of the cars out there a run for their money. 4.3-4.5 0-60 and Low 12s in the quarter, CONSISTANTLY on the street, on street tires, is lethal to all the untrained drivers trying to launch a 800hp car on street tires, on the street, or one who thinks smoking the tires for blocks wins races. I believe that's why so many young-ins these days want to race at a 40 roll. They have the HP but not the tires or the skills to get it off the line. I have beat a few SRT chargers by several cars in the quarter, but I wont allow them to draw me in at a 40 roll.

I know most of this community is not at all concerned about performance, and probably has little to no experience with performance modification. I have seen theory and Ideas that have been tested and proven to work years ago on other boards are still refuted here. I believe that's why information on what we can do and what we cant get away with is so hard to come by. I wish we had a page, section or FB group dedicated to those wanting increase performance and reliability. I have tone of experience using HP Tuners with an LS engine and I WISH Hp Tuners would work with this car. Then you would see something!
Interesting discussion. Early on when proper tunes came out for the Ghibli most were interested in the hp numbers (dyno), feel of drive and bragging rights. Most cars were not properly tuned for 1/4 mile and/or track. I had the Enzo track tune early on so it could run a blend of 93 octane with e85 and rev limiter removed. I never tracked the car ... only did enough to get performance data to validate tune and not invalidate my warranty (or get caught with tune). As you indicate, most on this forum are not for the track, just spirited drivers.

I do relate to your comments, as I'm a little older and drove an early 455 HO Firebird Trans Am that we B&B and updated for track (basically fun 1/4 miles on isolated street roads). Off the line, it was near impossible not to smoke the tires with the old 60 series so the small block Chevy's and similar had an initial advantage. Try to beat me on a rolling start and it was game over, (or until I need to get gas getting 6-10 mpg).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts