Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this could be a silly question but coming from a duoselect transmission and F1 pump with Maserati, I was wondering how the ZF-8 transmission is going to work. The clutch in the Quattroporte has always been a nightmare for me and before pulling the trigger on a Ghibli I would like your input about the differences.
thank you for your time

·
Registered
18 Posts
The ZF is an Automatic Transmission and even with paddle shift it is still an Automatic. The Duo Select was/is a manual transmission where the computer controlled the clutch.

Basically apples to oranges.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thank you for your answer and that means no clutch wearing right?
Precisely. The Ghibli's transmission is a conventional automatic. That said, the Ghibli is fitted with the world's finest torque-converter automatic transmission; the same unit (produced by ZF) is fitted to the Bentley Mulsanne, Audi A8, Mercedes-Benz S-Class, and other fine luxury cars. A fantastic transmission.

·
Registered
70 Posts
"At the center of attention for the development of new automatic transmissions: Further, significant fuel consumption reductions paralleled by a considerable increase in performance - not the number of gears." - Sounds good to me :)

The video is pretty detailed. You get some nice graphs and diagrams to help explain things, and as you can see, the video is a little on the longer side.

This transmission can shift from the 8th to the 2nd gear. That is a lot of gears to skip.

Anyways, I recommend watching the video if you have any interest in the transmission, it will be worth your time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts