Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have a 2018 ghibli sq4 and want to get it tuned (prob send the ecu to Enzo) and i want to keep my warranty and extended warranty intact so i was told i could buy another ecu for my car and have it just in case i need to take it to the dealer. So I’m wondering will any ecu for another ghibli work in my car? Could i just send in the used one i buy to get tuned and that work in my car? Or do i have to spend $3k at the dealer for a new one to hold onto.

so basically I’m asking if i could buy an ecu from an online store that says its compatible with my car (donor car is a 2017 sq4) and send that to Enzo, them flash it or whatever and then it’ll work in my car and i can keep my original for the dealer visits?

thanks guys

·
Administrator
2,624 Posts
You should speak directly with Enzo on what you are seeking to do.
Also, the new ECU has to be programmed to the car. A skilled tuner can clone your "stock" ECU on to the donor ECU which you can than tune. Several on this forum have done the two ECU approach. In fact, one recently sold his Ghibli and put his tuned ECU up for sale, (but it would need to be reprogrammed to new car).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also, the new ECU has to be programmed to the car. A skilled tuner can clone your "stock" ECU on to the donor ECU which you can than tune. Several on this forum have done the two ECU approach. In fact, one recently sold his Ghibli and put his tuned ECU up for sale, (but it would need to be reprogrammed to new car).
Thanks for the reply, ill contact them but first am goin g to try and find somewhere local, is there a list of tuners in the Southern California area on the site? the eurodynamics place was in Anaheim but website says the Dynos closed and they dont answer the phone.\

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One more question if you dont mind, after i get the new ecu programmed to my car and have one flash tuned, will i be able to just swap out the physical ecus at will to switch from stock to tuned or is there extra steps?

·
Administrator
2,624 Posts
Thanks for the reply, ill contact them but first am goin g to try and find somewhere local, is there a list of tuners in the Southern California area on the site? the eurodynamics place was in Anaheim but website says the Dynos closed and they dont answer the phone.\
Unfortunately, I don't have a list. Formula Dynamics in Las Vegas, NV also does tunes. You can call and get some guidance. They typically respond.

·
Administrator
2,624 Posts
One more question if you dont mind, after i get the new ecu programmed to my car and have one flash tuned, will i be able to just swap out the physical ecus at will to switch from stock to tuned or is there extra steps?
You can just swap the ECU's with no other changes required.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately, I don't have a list. Formula Dynamics in Las Vegas, NV also does tunes. You can call and get some guidance. They typically respond.
Thanks for answering all my questions, i see you all over this forum on this topic, one thread i read some guy added to a comment you made about the ecu storing A lot of info and said something about the transmission needing to be backed up as well (this Tune Ghibli SQ4 ) any truth to this or just swaping the ecu back is enough. also thanks for the formula dynamic tip I’m gonna set something up with them as I’m going to Vegas soon and was planning to drive out.

·
Administrator
2,624 Posts
Thanks for answering all my questions, i see you all over this forum on this topic, one thread i read some guy added to a comment you made about the ecu storing A lot of info and said something about the transmission needing to be backed up as well (this Tune Ghibli SQ4 ) any truth to this or just swaping the ecu back is enough. also thanks for the formula dynamic tip I’m gonna set something up with them as I’m going to Vegas soon and was planning to drive out.
The comment was based on the transmission ECU recording data. The comment was lending to Maserati being able to detect abusive driving behavior if transmission failed. We have a learning transmission and at times Maserati has reset the transmission ECU to address the transmission from shifting erratically.

To your original question, you really only need to swap the ECU ... that is the first line of defense that dealer will pull data. I'm not aware of anyone deliberately backing up the transmission ECU. Also be aware the ECU has a counter ... so it keeps track of the number of changes too. In your case this doesn't apply, as your not changing the factory unit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The comment was based on the transmission ECU recording data. The comment was lending to Maserati being able to detect abusive driving behavior if transmission failed. We have a learning transmission and at times Maserati has reset the transmission ECU to address the transmission from shifting erratically.

To your original question, you really only need to swap the ECU ... that is the first line of defense that dealer will pull data. I'm not aware of anyone deliberately backing up the transmission ECU. Also be aware the ECU has a counter ... so it keeps track of the number of changes too. In your case this doesn't apply, as your not changing the factory unit.
ok good to know, i called around and most shops tell me they wouldnt tell the warranty company that it had been flashed before and wouldn’t do any digging just check that its not tuned at the time i bring it in. My extended warranty is through Nissan for the next like 5 years or until 100k miles and would hate to lose that if some crazy problem came up in the future.

i saw this comment you made spare ecu about you choosing the reflash/restore method (I’m assuming you mean flash it back to stock before brining it in for service) all things considered if you could do it all again would you still choose this method. I’m thinking about going the same way but would hate it if i had to reflash just to get the oil change light off every year.

·
Administrator
2,624 Posts
i saw this comment you made spare ecu about you choosing the reflash/restore method (I’m assuming you mean flash it back to stock before brining it in for service) all things considered if you could do it all again would you still choose this method. I’m thinking about going the same way but would hate it if i had to reflash just to get the oil change light off every year.
I was an early adopter of the ENZO tune ... had a couple generations as they were fine-tuned. If it was already proven and easier to get a spare ECU to program, I would have got the spare ECU to pop in and out. I've taken my car in for all maintenance / many updates with the ECU tune ... no one questioned. In fact, mechanic only noticed my car was "stronger" than most and knew my role on forum, (with a grin). In fact, my dealership started offering the same tuner who did my car.

I only reflashed for when Maserati would overwrite the tune with an update or if a had a potential engine problem like a check engine light. Once, I had a check engine light, engine went into limp mode and I was able to get the car home. Let it sit restarted and all was fine ... dealer indicated that can happen, if it happens again bring in the car. I sent the ECU back to be cleared of fault code, checked out and updated. Fortunately, never happened again.

Today, if I was doing it again, I would have bought the spare ECU (more available and lower cost than years ago) and saved the anxiety of having to pull the ECU ship overnight and wait a day or so to get thing back. It also mitigates the risk of shipping ECU's back and forth, (loss or damage). Also the counter played less a role back then when you received a couple updates every year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was an early adopter of the ENZO tune ... had a couple generations as they were fine-tuned. If it was already proven and easier to get a spare ECU to program, I would have got the spare ECU to pop in and out. I've taken my car in for all maintenance / many updates with the ECU tune ... no one questioned. In fact, mechanic only noticed my car was "stronger" than most and knew my role on forum, (with a grin). In fact, my dealership started offering the same tuner who did my car.

I only reflashed for when Maserati would overwrite the tune with an update or if a had a potential engine problem like a check engine light. Once, I had a check engine light, engine went into limp mode and I was able to get the car home. Let it sit restarted and all was fine ... dealer indicated that can happen, if it happens again bring in the car. I sent the ECU back to be cleared of fault code, checked out and updated. Fortunately, never happened again.

Today, if I was doing it again, I would have bought the spare ECU (more available and lower cost than years ago) and saved the anxiety of having to pull the ECU ship overnight and wait a day or so to get thing back. It also mitigates the risk of shipping ECU's back and forth, (loss or damage). Also the counter played less a role back then when you received a couple updates every year.
Thanks again, i was going to go this route but formula dynamics explained you need an exact same spare ecu (they will source one and clone for $800) and with californias new law im forced to go jb4 for now. Also the dealer said if i only get the jb4 that they will process any warranty work as long as i take it off before i bring the car in or let them charge $750 to take it off and will still process all the warranty stuff like if a turbo goes or something. So yeah thanks again this conversation has been very helpful to me

1 - 11 of 11 Posts