Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

101 - 120 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just bought the Madness ECU chip for my 2014 SQ4. The unit didn't come with any instructions, wtf?? I know there is a video on the Madness website but it is far from comprehensive - it doesn't explain where the red and black wires are to be attached nor really how the Bluetooth is to be enabled/functioning. Does anyone have any detailed experience with the Madness ECU that they can impart?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Mine is not the bluetooth version, but the installs are the same. Watch the video a few times and look at the car. It more than explains everything....EXCEPT the red and black wires. Connect the red wire to the + terminal in the engine bay, on the passenger side under the red plastic cap. Connect the black to a nearby body screw and you're good.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Post back when you get er' done.

My install was quick where I thought I did something wrong. I got lucky on that one sensor at the back of the motor. It took me like 15-20 min. I've seen guys post hours or even days for that one. The rest are a piece of cake.

I did have issues with mine at first. I called them and they had me try a few things. The problem was not having the red & black wires connected. I called them early on and was told they were only needed on some cars & I shouldn't need them hooked up on the Ghibli. I was getting a CEL though and going into limp mode at 1st, but the car was fine when I put in the bypass plug so we knew it was not the installation.
Once they figured out to tell me to connect the red & black wires I never had a problem again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
OK, well I'm having issues even getting to the back connector, I can't get an allen wrench on the bolt to unscrew it! I'm going to a general mechanic tomorrow or Tuesday, if I can't get help from them to get at that sensro then I'll probably send the unit back, getting to that sensor is a total PITA!!!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
It is a PITA, but if you get good lighting and climb up onto the car and have patience, the payoff is worth the effort!
I got VERY lucky getting it so quickly, but remember most are frustrated like yourself. Just keep trying different angles and use the pick(s).
You just unplugged the stock sensor. You don't unscrew any Allen bolts???

Ron

·
Registered
26 Posts
You must have lots of patience! I do have the picks but in my case it looks like the Manifold sensor is fastened to the intake manifold by an Allen bolt. If not (because it is so hard to tell), then it appears like mine is located directly under the bolt which would make pulling it up and through the breather tubes almost impossible without the bolt removed. I'll keep ya posted and thanks for the encouragement!

·
Registered
58 Posts
The sensor is held on with an allen bolt, however, you only need to remove the connector from it (not the sensor itself). It's a major! pain in the ass... Technically, you don't need to actually remove the sensor, however I ended up removing the allen bolt and pulling the sensor partially out to get some play on it so I could get to the connector a little easier... which is still not easy. I just used some needle-nose pliers to loosen the allen bolt and then you should be able to remove by hand. It took me two hours to get the connector disconnected from the sensor. Total pain in the ass and I almost took a baseball bat to my car out of frustration... had to walk away from the car several times to relax. You need to basically climb IN the engine bay. I put a few towels down for padding and was literally sitting in the engine bay while trying to work on it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks Chris, that's the same issue I'm having, there is no play in the connector since it seems the sensor is connected to the manifold by the Allen bolt. I feel your frustration, I'm thinking about recording how many swear words I use in the course of the removal just to measure the level of effort!

·
Registered
281 Posts
It's true the sensor doesn't have much play at all, it IS possible to plug in the MADNESS harness sensor without removing any bolts. Just make a plan, be patient and try to use the right tool combo. It's doable!
I will say I wasn't 100% certain about the connections being perfectly tight, but I got them as best as I could.
I guess Maserati wasn't expecting us owners to need access to it to mod the car. LOL

Ron

·
Registered
69 Posts
The way I got to it was remove the allen bolt. It is 5.5 mm. I took a piece of aluminum stock (about 12"), drilled a hole in it and then placed a 5.5mm male allen through the stock and epoxied it to the alum. The head was 1/2"-3/4" and enabled me to remove the bolt. Unfortunately, there was no play and I could not pull it out in order to have better access to the plug. I then reverted to a long set of picks and found that I could unplug and then plug in the wiring harness.

It certainly was a challenge, but the results are phenomenal.

Rick

·
Registered
26 Posts
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! Thanks Ron and Chris for your suggestions and encouragement! After about 30 minutes of f-ing with the Manifold Sensor, getting the connector off was relatively easy, putting the new connector from the harness on was a total, unmitigated PITA. Perhaps someone with smaller hands/fingers could have manipulated the connector alignment better but I did somehow miraculously get it aligned with the pick and screwdriver. I am not sure how secure my connection is, Ron - to your point I pushed it in as best I could but wasn't really able to hear/feel a click so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it won't wiggle loose over time/vibration. I didn't have to remove the Allen bolt but if I had a tool that could have done it I am sure this would have made connecting it infinitely easier. All in, I probably spent 60-75 minutes getting the 3 connectors and unit installed. I have the bluetooth model and it is definitely worth the $100 incremental charge. All I can say is I hope I NEVER have to do this again!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Good job! Now that you mentioned it, I too used the combination of a long screw driver and a pick to line up the connector. I didn't hear a click either, but I for sure could not get it in any better than I did.
How does it feel?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Any of you guys tested the Race Chip GTS + Bluetooth ? thinking of installing this one, pretty affordable and plug and play.

in any cases, would you have any serious warning with ECU tuning or this worth the "risks" ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
50k warranty almost out on my 2014. Looking forward to getting it tuned. Probably Racechip. Few day turn around sounds good to me.

·
GhibliForum.com Vendor
324 Posts
Hey guys, just wanted to be sure you were aware of our ECU Tuning options for the Ghibli, we are getting great results for customers! We tune your ECU right here at the shop. Typically just a 2-3 day turn around as we provide an overnight ship label for you to send us your ECU, program it on-site and return your order on an overnight ship label as well. Fast Turn around and great results from a company that's been around for a good long time and specializes in Maserati.

+57 HP Peak Power Gain
+112 ft/lb Peak Torque Gain
+86 HP Midrange Power Gain
+120 ft/lb Midrange Torque Gain

Here is a link to our website : Performance High Power ECU Tune <br>(Ghibli S / SQ4)

We do offer tuning for all Maserati models, please feel free to give us a ring or shoot us an email, we're here to help you get the Most from your Maserati!

Best Regards,

101 - 120 of 125 Posts