Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assume there are “electrical and software” guys in this forum and I try to ask you stupid questions for someone who understands electrical or softwares.
1. I am trying to find a nice front DVR camera and that is not the issue, the problem I have is to find the way to get power from the front mirror. I know that there will be some cable inside there but do you guys know how to remove the plastic box around it? And if so, do you know where to plug cables in that box? If someone has done that please add comments.
2. I have also noticed that there is a whole in the gloves box on the right inside and we could use that box to store a dvr but do you know where that whole is going to?
3. The DVD player works great when the car is not moving and I was wondering if you have found the way to let it play when moving
4. I have tried to plug USB card with video inside but the player was not able to recognize the format. I have tried all the existing, MP4, MPEG and DVD but it looks like we cannot play movies from the USB card, is that true?
5. I have also tried to stream movies from my phone or device but it does work only for the audio but not video. Do you know any other solution?
Thanks for reading this post and I am looking forward to someone accepting these challenges

·
Registered
863 Posts
For the DVR camera stuff follow this thread

http://www.ghibliforum.com/forum/ma.../5786-my-xpel-radar-dash-cam-tint-review.html

The DVD player only works when the car is not moving. There is still no bypass mech that would allow it to work when moving. may be the dealer can set it work. I know of a software from which you can change all and every setting. but the darn thing cost 20k

As for the USB card. I still have to test that out. So wait until i test it and will let you know my findings

Reactions: Mangirek

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just for awareness, the battery on my car died yesterday after 11 months. When that occurs, access to the trunk becomes very difficult. Called Maserati Roadside Assistance and they did come after 90 minutes( not bad), and flatbedded the car to the dealer.
Dealer confirmed dead battery, but had to try and put a charge on it (which they could not do), as proof to Maserati. Still waiting for Maserati to approve a replacement..

·
Registered
695 Posts
It's electrics,it's Italian. Same story it's English, it's electronics. I've never seen an Italian battery before, Fiat must make them.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
Just for awareness, the battery on my car died yesterday after 11 months. When that occurs, access to the trunk becomes very difficult. Called Maserati Roadside Assistance and they did come after 90 minutes( not bad), and flatbedded the car to the dealer.
Dealer confirmed dead battery, but had to try and put a charge on it (which they could not do), as proof to Maserati. Still waiting for Maserati to approve a replacement..
once the battery is dead you cannot open the trunk. the only way to open it would be to pop the hood, hook up a jump box and send power to the car. you can then open the trunk lid.

getting stranded along the road with a flat or a dead battery is not on my list of things to do so i always carry an emergency bag in my trunk containing, tire repair plugs, mini air compressor, jumper cables or jump box. so if i get a flat or dead battery i can repair it right on site and get moving. its bound to happen sooner or later so be prepared.

·
Registered
236 Posts
5. I have also tried to stream movies from my phone or device but it does work only for the audio but not video. Do you know any other solution?
I was able to do this on my jeep but haven't tried (and probably won't) on the Ghibli. I had to take the entire dash off and take the radio out to install a NAV-TV module. That gave me the ability to install a backup camera, enabled nav and video while moving. I also was able to hook up a phone to one of the inputs and stream video from youtube and other apps. Next step is to add an Airtame wireless hdmi module so the entire setup can be hidden under the center console and any device (andriod, windows phone, ios device) can wirelessly stream video to the screen. Pretty cool to be able to pull up a movie from amazon prime instant video, netflix, etc on your phone and stream it to your nav screen. Or maybe catch up on an episode of Game of Thrones from HBO GO while the wife drives you home from Thanksgiving at Aunt Sally's. :)

Nav-TV does make a unit for the 2014 Quattroporte that adds 3 video inputs. NAV-TV Corporation: MASERATI REAR CAMER INTERFACE
And they certainly make units for Jeep/Chryslers. Maybe give them a call and see if they have a unit that will fit our Ghiblis. Even if it is not plug and play, it probably can be installed with a few splices.

1. ...the problem I have is to find the way to get power from the front mirror. I know that there will be some cable inside there...
Again, haven't done this on the Ghibli but it was pretty easy to do on my BMW 335xi. I hardwired my Valentine One radar detector to that location. I'd like to do the same with my V1 for the Ghibli. When I get a chance to investigate I'll report back if I discover anything worth sharing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts