Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:(I love my Q4. As I pulled out of the parking lot Sunday 8/10
the car stopped and locked up. No way any thing was moving.
24 hour road side sent a wrecker and we had to get educated
on how to find the manual lever to put the transmission in neutral
to board the roll back Two days later the dealership says there
is tramp metal in the system and Maserati is probably going
to send a replacement engine from out of state.
So my 2014 Rosso Folgore Mica with 1,200 miles and less than
90 days old has self destructed

·
Registered
312 Posts
That is TERRIBLE news.
Do they have any idea how that happened?
Are they goign to give you a loaner?
How do you manually put it neutral?

·
Registered
292 Posts
:(I love my Q4. As I pulled out of the parking lot Sunday 8/10
the car stopped and locked up. No way any thing was moving.
24 hour road side sent a wrecker and we had to get educated
on how to find the manual lever to put the transmission in neutral
to board the roll back Two days later the dealership says there
is tramp metal in the system and Maserati is probably going
to send a replacement engine from out of state.
So my 2014 Rosso Folgore Mica with 1,200 miles and less than
90 days old has self destructed
Please keep us informed of what is going on with the situation. Like tjsbeer, I am also interested in knowing what the cause of failure is.

Reactions: ClaranceAnthone

·
Registered
863 Posts
I am also interested in knowing what really happened... though a very sad news. But bit of good news, you will get a brand new engine with 50 or fewer miles...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes they have offered me a loaner but I choose to drive one of my
other vehicles. I realized going into this that certain beautiful
vehicles require you to have your own backup.
I have been told that this is the first time and blah blah blah.
and no cause has yet been detected. I have a feeling
Maserati USA will not want the dealer going through the
engine. They will want their own engineers perhaps even
shipping it back to Italy or Ferrari.
The matter is still up in the air and no final word from Corporate.
What has happened is that two of my friends liked the Q4 and were
looking to buy and now they have been scared away.
I bought this for my wife as a 60th birthday present and now
I believe she will not drive it again. So not only will I be paying
for a car that no one will drive I will also be paying for her new
Jaguar she wanted in the first place. Remember if Mama is not
happy no one is!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yes they have offered me a loaner but I choose to drive one of my
other vehicles. I realized going into this that certain beautiful
vehicles require you to have your own backup.
and no cause has yet been detected. I have a feeling
Maserati USA will not want the dealer going through the
engine. They will want their own engineers perhaps even
shipping it back to Italy or Ferrari.
The matter is still up in the air and no final word from Corporate.
What has happened is that two of my friends liked the Q4 and were
looking to buy and now they have been scared away.
I bought this for my wife as a 60th birthday present and now
I believe she will not drive it again. So not only will I be paying
for a car that no one will drive I will also be paying for her new
Jaguar she wanted in the first place. Remember if Mama is not
happy no one is!
It's unfortunate, but probably true that we will never know what happened. I am sure that Maserati will want to keep their findings quiet.

·
Administrator
2,522 Posts
The transmission release is under the drivers side floor mat (left side). You need to pop open the cover and manually release the car from park for towing. Its one of the "in an emergency" instructions on the iPhone app. Hope I never need to use it!!! Also don't release on a hill unless the car is hooked up to the rollback!!!

Reactions: tjsbeer

·
Administrator
2,522 Posts
Orlandosilver - sorry to hear about!!! That is terrible news. Something must have broke free for that engine to seize up. Normally these get flushed pretty thoroughly at the factory. In the old days I would always change the oil around 500 miles to get rid of tramp metal from the machining ... today they claim no need.

Best of luck!!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
and no cause has yet been detected.
Hm I think they don't lie about that, if it would be a mass production mistake, there would be more comments on forums, and also they would call in all the cars from that production line as well since they don't really need bad reviews.

That your 2 friends who wanted to buy the ghibli are afraid now is a litle bit overreacting since currently this is a single car with this problem we know off.

·
Registered
695 Posts
This does happen in New and high performance cars. It usually is never talked about. Our 1st gen '07 Audi Q7 had the engine replaced,along with 600 others. By the time problem became obvious the damage was not repairable. Of the 5000 produced before factory fix only about 1000 had problem so no recall.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. Your mind set should be that it is being replaced like any other part that went bad. It doesn't seem to be happening to other cars so things should be fine from this point forward.

If it happens again then start worrying.

Always take the loaner even if you have back up, I do. I like to think that it encourages them to work on my car faster if they want to get there's back. (probably doesn't)

·
Registered
666 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. Your mind set should be that it is being replaced like any other part that went bad. It doesn't seem to be happening to other cars so things should be fine from this point forward.

If it happens again then start worrying.

Always take the loaner even if you have back up, I do. I like to think that it encourages them to work on my car faster if they want to get there's back. (probably doesn't)
Agree. I would rather put the miles on the loaner.

Question about the engine replacement. Will it show up on the computer system or even carfax as a major defect? I know it is a brand new engine and should consider a good thing, but I wonder if it will depreciate the car value.

·
Registered
666 Posts
There is lemon in every vehicle. My friend had issue with his 550xi. They fixed it several times and finally decided to give him a brand new car. And he still had the same issue with the new car!!

I wonder when/how does a car company decide to give you a brand new car instead of replacing a major components of the car? I would think a car with 1200 miles and a big issue like this, Maserati would give him a new one instead.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think they replace the cars when they can't find a solution for a recurring problem.

For example: My 550xi was replaced with a new car after three "drivetrain malfunctions" in one year. My M5 had the engine replaced when they decided it was easier to replace the engine than fix it.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I think they replace the cars when they can't find a solution for a recurring problem.

For example: My 550xi was replaced with a new car after three "drivetrain malfunctions" in one year. My M5 had the engine replaced when they decided it was easier to replace the engine than fix it.
Was it the F10 model? If so, that's exactly the problem my friend had.
You also had the same problem with the F10 M5? Just your luck huh?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Was it the F10 model? If so, that's exactly the problem my friend had.
You also had the same problem with the F10 M5? Just your luck huh?
It was the F10 550xi and that is why I am on Ghibli forums and not m5Board and Bimmerpost.

The M5 was the E60- generation before. I loved that V10!

·
Registered
666 Posts
It was the F10 550xi and that is why I am on Ghibli forums and not m5Board and Bimmerpost.

The M5 was the E60- generation before. I loved that V10!
I see. I also had the F10 535xi. I did not have all the problems my friend had. It was a nice car. Had a 911S and a E350 after that. I thought Ghibli is a good replacement. It has the good things of both worlds.
By the way, I was pretty active on F10 Bimmerpost. We may have even exchanged a few messages!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Unfortunately this can happen -- not all machines are perfect and this is a high production vehicle for Maserati. I have heard of 1 other engine replacement due to no oil pressure - possible oil pump malfunction.

·
Registered
30 Posts
They will take care of it to your satisfaction, I have no doubt.

Here is a story about my QP two years ago and the reason I came back to Maser...

I was 1000 miles over the factory warranty on my QP, I noticed a few things going on, and then the car started shuddering badly. It had recently been in for service while still under warranty. Well, the cam variators went out... ~$10k plus in repairs and even outside of the warranty, Maserati Italy authorized a "Good Will" repair. Don't worry, yes its a PITA, but they will make it right. They could have told me to stick it, but they did the right thing. The price we pay for driving exotics though...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts