Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have had my SQ4 for just over a month now and I am noticing the engine doesn't sound the same as when I first got it. It started out having a very loud roar and now it sounds as though it is taking a rest. Anyone have a similar experience? This is primarily on start up and idle not as significant while driving. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Hi all. I have had my SQ4 for just over a month now and I am noticing the engine doesn't sound the same as when I first got it. It started out having a very loud roar and now it sounds as though it is taking a rest. Anyone have a similar experience? This is primarily on start up and idle not as significant while driving. Thanks in advance!
Maybe you are getting used to it?
I know I am getting used to it. So it seems like it is quieter.

·
Registered
312 Posts
For me there is no in between, either the exhaust note is beautiful or the drone makes my head want to explode. Fortunately it usually the former.

·
Administrator
2,387 Posts
I know the start-up in warmer weather is lower intensity and shorter duration of the initial roar. In fact, as my S-Q4 broke in, my exhaust mellowed out to the louder side. And as tjsbeer eludes it is nice around the city, but on the highway it just drones in the 2000 rpm range, (and if get tired of the drown ... I downshift and take it to a roar!!!):)

Reactions: tjsbeer

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had similar thread going.
Cold start exhaust note is definitely quieter than before.
http://www.ghibliforum.com/forum/ma.../6666-cold-start-exhaust-note-difference.html
whitesunglass, I appreciate your insight and have read your other thread. I live in a condo building with an underground parking garage. I went down this morning, remote started the car and had the normal loud sounds coming from the exhaust. When I later returned, I parked, walked away and then remote started the car again. This time, the sound was almost non-existent. What is your dealer saying about this? I had mine check it earlier this week and they say it's fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know the start-up in warmer weather is lower intensity and shorter duration of the initial roar. In fact, as my S-Q4 broke in, my exhaust mellowed out to the louder side. And as tjsbeer eludes it is nice around the city, but on the highway it just drones in the 2000 rpm range, (and if get tired of the drown ... I downshift and take it to a roar!!!):)
BeerGuy, are you saying your exhaust sound is louder than before? I am assuming drone is the high intensity sound when you hit the gas in sport mode? I am new to this. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My car is mostly left outside at night, but occasionally gets to sleep indoors. Outside, it is always loud when I start in the morning. When left inside, it is always much much quieter. It is never quieter when left outside. It's almost like it knows its indoors and doesn't want to wake the rest of the house when I start her at 6 in the morning..........:)

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
That phenomenon (start in 'cold' vs warm weather) was discussed/revealed on a previous thread - normal behavior

DD

·
Registered
72 Posts
@scotty
It is normal that second start right after you parked your car was non-existent. Cold start is the only one that will sound loud.

@doubledeetob @BeerGuy
My issue in my other thread is not the warm weather, I was NOT comparing winter vs summer. I compared two Ghibli SQ4 in same condition, date and time, and it sounded different. The loaner car I got from the dealer sounded much louder with high pitch than mine. Mine didn't sound as loud as the loaner car.
I see you guys have more experience with this, do you have any idea what might be wrong?
I'm guessing it's the engine configuration that's different?
Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Administrator
2,387 Posts
BeerGuy, are you saying your exhaust sound is louder than before? I am assuming drone is the high intensity sound when you hit the gas in sport mode? I am new to this. Thanks for your help.
As the car broke in my deepness of tone became more apparent. The drone I hear is when at 1800-2000 rpms on the highway, (any mode) you can hear the low pitch exhaust rather distinctly whether you want to or not. Everyone has there own terms, but in sports mode the baffles fully open the exhaust turns into almost a deep growl to a roar at high rpms.

There must also be some differences car to car, as my S-Q4 loaner wasn't quite as deep in exhaust in any mode. the average person would not notice, but I could tell.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts