Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,961 Posts
There are a number of "happy" folks with that tune on this forum ... hope you get a real world response.

I was an early adopter, so used ENZO which had a good tune for the SQ4 ... EuroDynamics would have been on my go to list for consideration. I must admit it was like a new car after installing the tune ... couldn't believe how much power (pull) was brought forward in the acceleration curve. I had no intentions to race or track. More interested in the feel and higher numbers.

The issue is ECU tunes get wiped out every time Maserati updates the ECU software. In the early days it seemed like I was getting it reflashed annually ... now don't hear much about these factory ECU updates,(that overwrite tunes).

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Does anyone know if getting an ECU tune can be easily detected during normal service at a dealer, some register they read in the ECU that states, FLASH = YES, or such..? I've heard of folks saying they could flash back, but any counter might not be erased.. or such..
Just curious, since I have a warranty still.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've been thinking of the Euro Dynamics tune or the JB4. The JB4 seems like a good deal for the price.
I'm very happy with my Eurodynamics tune. A lot more usable power in the low-mid range, plus a hefty boost up top.

·
Super Moderator
1,961 Posts
Does anyone know if getting an ECU tune can be easily detected during normal service at a dealer, some register they read in the ECU that states, FLASH = YES, or such..? I've heard of folks saying they could flash back, but any counter might not be erased.. or such..
Just curious, since I have a warranty still.
Normal service NO, but if they want to check YES its very easy to see parameters are outside stock. There is a counter, but depending on tuner capability can reset counter. Unless there is a problem with car there is no need to check. If engine problem they will pull the data on tuned ECU which records more than people would expect. That's the risk ... you would want to have your original file reflashed to ECU prior to having warranty engine work.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Thanks BeerGuy.. I found a good alternative solution, get a backup ECU, which is not expensive, flash that, and keep the stock one intact. My tune guy has actually done this with a few customers and agrees with you about the risk. Backup ECU in the mail this week..

·
Super Moderator
1,961 Posts
Thanks BeerGuy.. I found a good alternative solution, get a backup ECU, which is not expensive, flash that, and keep the stock one intact. My tune guy has actually done this with a few customers and agrees with you about the risk. Backup ECU in the mail this week..
I'd be interested in how the dual ECU works out. We discussed that very early on since it's so easy to swap ECU's. The first hurdle was getting the new ECU coded (registered) to the car which in the past had to be done by a Maserati dealer, (which recorded a new ECU in your file). Today, there is more know how around tuning and Maserati system coding than in the past.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I'd be interested in how the dual ECU works out. We discussed that very early on since it's so easy to swap ECU's. The first hurdle was getting the new ECU coded (registered) to the car which in the past had to be done by a Maserati dealer, (which recorded a new ECU in your file). Today, there is more know how around tuning and Maserati system coding than in the past.
Yeah, not sure it matters, etc. since I'll use the non-flashed ECU (back in the car) whenever it gets back to the shop. The back-up ECU will be re-flashed with a clone of my current ECU data, and flashed again for the tune data.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah, not sure it matters, etc. since I'll use the non-flashed ECU (back in the car) whenever it gets back to the shop. The back-up ECU will be re-flashed with a clone of my current ECU data, and flashed again for the tune data.
Who do you use for the ECU tune?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts