Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I put a couple of hundred miles on her this weekend and this car is really fantastic!

Other than the gear selector and the "premium" audio, the only thing that I can really complain about is the exhaust drone at highway cruising levels.

I turned off sport and manual, set the cruise at 70mph.
After about an hour of the exhaust drone became really tedious and unenjoyable.

One of the best parts of this car is the exhaust note when your really laying into it. I guess highway cruising quietness is what had to be compromised.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The exhaust drone is always there, even in ICE mode. It's a character of the car. It is more noticeable at certain RPMs than others, and goes away just about completely when you are coasting/decelerating - as you would expect since the injectors then shut off and you are just pumping the engine without any combustion.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
i have noticed this as well. I have gotten into the habit of using the paddles or manual shifter to pop the car into 8th gear and it goes away.
good catch!

8th gear is extremely hard to achieve without manually putting the tranny into 8th. the basic automatic shifter will keep the car in 7th pretty much 99% of the time.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Agree with all - it's definitely 7th gear that drones the most. Simply shift to 8th manually, otherwise it's a good excuse to punch it every now and then.

Reactions: tjsbeer

·
Registered
14 Posts
Drone is bad

So I put a couple of hundred miles on her this weekend and this car is really fantastic!

Other than the gear selector and the "premium" audio, the only thing that I can really complain about is the exhaust drone at highway cruising levels.

One of the best parts of this car is the exhaust note when your really laying into it. I guess highway cruising quietness is what had to be compromised.
Completely agree with you. Premium sound system is woeful even after the system update. I have had the car since Saturday and this drone is making me rethink my choice. I got 39 more months. Gonna make a call to Maserati NA and see if there is anything I can do.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Cruising in automatic is an affront to Italian driving. So, although the Marque throws in 'Automatic Mode' and 'Cruise Control' for the sake of providing a list of commonly desirable features, their mind is on something(s) else. Being the control freaks that they are, they spent a lot of time developing the manual paddle shift system for the driver to control the car: not only its performance, but it's temperament as well. Within this engineering framework the solution to handling drone ensues:

It all depends on engine load. If there is an incline (even slight) 8th can give drone, so popping it into 7th and keeping RPM just above 2000 will take care of it. When there is no incline, and 7th drones then pop it into 8th and it will purr at around 1200 RPM. But you must use manual paddle shifters to manage these various drone situations. With my 3 inch straight pipe cat back (no H pipe X pipe, resonators or mufflers) it can potentially be a real problem. But with the extra torque I get at low RPM, I shift at 1500 rpm to avoid drone in each gear and once at speed, I let the car settle RPM wise in a no drone zone. So I tool around easily keeping up with traffic like its nobody's business, until I need to let loose, of course. I do as suggested above on the highway to avoid drone; and when I gun it...what drone????? This way, who needs muffler valves when I can get away with it with the Misses and daughters without any peeps out of them, just by working the paddles? The rest of the switch gear is terrible but who cares when these sturdy, reliable, positively feeling, and easily accessible aluminum paddles (Coupled with the modern ZF) increasingly define the superior nature of the car only when they are frequently used, or literally, become the very focal point of the driving experience? How else can one so fluidly experience downshifting while rushing into hair pin turns and then rush out of them as if by sling shot; or closely trail other vehicles with an incomparable degree of confidence to then instantly overtake them with low gear/high torque aplomb? Why not use these babies to take away the car's rough edges (drone) too? Any detractor of these over-grown bilateral scepters of automotive distinction do not know the experience of using them regularly as they properly should be used. Leave it to fidgety Italians who over-engineer (to a degree of perfected art form) what they consider key aspects that are desirible in a vehicle while neglecting to tie up loose ends rendering a half baked marketing success. Italians are serious about enjoying life playfully. Driving is not to be only comfortable and restful, even for long distances. There are buses, trains and planes for that. There has to be 'sfizzio' (fun) associated with going from point A to B: something to indulge their mania and desire to control through instrument or tool. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts