Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, been a while. I used to own a 2004 Masi Cambio Coupe and was on here regularly then dropped off for a year or two and recently sold it and bought a low mileage, lease turn in, under warranty 2014 Q4 Ghibli which I am absolutely in love/lust with! Thus far outside of a few recalls I've had zero issues with the car but today at 65 MPH riding down a lone highway, and I mean all alone highway as is zero cars anywhere in sight, my sunroof suddenly, with the sound of a shotgun over head, exploded! I drove straight to the dealer, Maserati Charleston, SC, and they promptly told me to call my insurance company that I'd been hit by a rock and that this was not a warranty repair. Having no choice I am letting insurance handle it but I am here to tell you that the chance some rogue mini meteor found it's way to the very center of my sunroof and pushed it in upward motion isn't very plausible to say the least. The trajectory and speed factor for that to happen is impossible to fathom! Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this?

Last edited by Scott Scardino; Yesterday at 06:59 PM.

·
Registered
651 Posts
This isn't really a Maserati problem, the sunroofs are known to explode, nomatter the brand. They're under a lot of stress and this can happen without any apparent reason. It might have been a rock chip or a thermal expansion cycle that happened in the past and created micro fissures that eventually stressed out the glass so much that it exploded when you were on the highway.
That said, this exact sunroof has been used in various other Alfa Romeo cars for years, and except the alignment and noisy rails problem, it had no other major issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This isn't really a Maserati problem, the sunroofs are known to explode, nomatter the brand. They're under a lot of stress and this can happen without any apparent reason. It might have been a rock chip or a thermal expansion cycle that happened in the past and created micro fissures that eventually stressed out the glass so much that it exploded when you were on the highway.
That said, this exact sunroof has been used in various other Alfa Romeo cars for years, and except the alignment and noisy rails problem, it had no other major issues.
Thank you for the info. I guess it's subject though. If any manufacturer puts a part on a vehicle under warranty and, rare as it may be, that part malfunctions for any reason not caused by the driver and *especially in a luxury brand then that part should be replaced under warranty with an apology and a plain honest, "this stuff just happens" vs an immediate you must have gotten hit by a rock, call your insurance company.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I think you should be reasonable here, no warranty in this world covers the glass parts of the car. It's the same if you got a cracked windshield.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts