Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am currently working on @tjsbeer Rosso Folgore (2,500 miles) and I am finding a lot of small factory paint defects. These occur during the inspection process at the factory after paint. If the find dust in the paint or a run or sag, they may wet sand or scrape area to spot fix the area. It looks like they don't fully correct the sections.

Now that I have this Ghibli under my LED lights, they are really standing out. I just wanted to make everyone aware of this and make sure you look closely at your paint before final delivery. Or, find a good local detailer to look over the car. I have been able to fix the issues on this one that I have found so far including a dull spot on the hood. I'll be posting a video of this car after I am done with it.

I am posting this from my phone so I don't know if the photos will show up.

Before:
http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b524/KenAllwine/EE9B5CE9-06F6-42E5-848B-A345952F30FC_zpsknlayd8m.jpg

After:
http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b524/KenAllwine/Mobile%20Uploads/335B940C-69BD-41E4-B4E0-95C9C9C1A83B_zpsfsjguuba.jpg

·
Administrator
2,572 Posts
Nice detective and correction work Ken!!! Photos were able to be seen if I cut and pasted into browser.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have plenty of defects on mine. I have small black particles under the clear coat in at least 5 places, and some larger light brown spots, and two cut through areas on the rear bumper as well. I noticed them while detailing the car and preparing for Opti Coat. The only one I notice now is one by the driver's door. Meaning all of them are still there, I just don't notice them because I am not inspecting as close as I would when detailing.
I brought the issue up with the dealer and Maserati's response was they will warranty the paint defects one by one and repaint a panel but will not cover a blend. On my car which is metallic, that's worthless, so I decided to live with the defects.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i have a paint defect in the hood, "nero black" noticed it about 2-3 weeks after i got the car, its like a small string was painted over, dealer said they would paint the entire hood for me.
just waiting for when they call me in...

·
Administrator
2,572 Posts
i have a paint defect in the hood, "nero black" noticed it about 2-3 weeks after i got the car, its like a small string was painted over, dealer said they would paint the entire hood for me.
just waiting for when they call me in...
Just make sure you feel comfortable with the dealer doing the paintwork on these type of cars. Don't know which one your planning to use, but not all are created equal for painting.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just make sure you feel comfortable with the dealer doing the paintwork on these type of cars. Don't know which one your planning to use, but not all are created equal for painting.

+1.
In order to paint a hood, generally fenders are blended and painted too.
Black is easiest (it's not mixed.) If you have black metallic (sounds like Ferrari Nero Daytona which is black metallic) you probably need to blend to make it look right.

·
Registered
56 Posts
now you guys are getting me worried about who they will choose to get it done, do you guys think im better off leaving it alone ? ( the car is a lease )

·
Registered
164 Posts
now you guys are getting me worried about who they will choose to get it done, do you guys think im better off leaving it alone ? ( the car is a lease )
In my case, I left it alone.
I don't know what your problem looks like, or who they're planning on using to paint, so it's impossible to advise whether you should do it or not.

·
Registered
312 Posts
It's a lease and the you're not paying for the repair.
I say let them fix it.
They'll be responsible if it's not perfect.

Reactions: Stealthawd
1 - 9 of 9 Posts