Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the family for a drive to the shore about 60 miles round and went shopping when we got back. Four of us (Me, Wife, Son and Daughter in Law) and my three month old grandson. The gigantic baby seat fit in the back no problem and did not require the front seat to be all the way forward and there was more than enough room for the front passenger. Middle seat in the back is what it is (not uncomfortable but not as comfortable as the other seats) but acceptable for short trips. Drove in automatic non-sport mode and got 18.5 MPG and assume it is due to new engine. My point was the car was well mannered, drove nicely and all were comfortable. Acceleration was smooth and did the job but I was not looking to gun it anyway. While the trunk is light the auto opening is not bad and while it just pops up it does not bang or klunk when opening. On closing while you do not have to slam it to close the license plate frame on the car makes a hideous noise when the trunk closes making the trunk sound very cheap and not sure if it is because the LP frame is only held by two screws or just cheap. Again, who cares considering all that the car provides.

·
Registered
258 Posts
1. Get license plate frames that the license plate slots into, or at least have tabs on the bottom to hold the bottom edge.
2. Thin strip of weatherstripping on the lower front edge of the license plate before putting it in the plate frame.
3. Thin strip of weatherstripping on the lower back edge of the license plate.
4. Secure with screws.

No more rattles.

·
Registered
284 Posts
1. Get license plate frames that the license plate slots into, or at least have tabs on the bottom to hold the bottom edge.
2. Thin strip of weatherstripping on the lower front edge of the license plate before putting it in the plate frame.
3. Thin strip of weatherstripping on the lower back edge of the license plate.
4. Secure with screws.

No more rattles.
Yup, that is the best solution. Im surprised they let this happen on a Maserati. Maserati should know better, it's also too common across the whole industry.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Nice solution. Does Maserati have officially sanctioned (ie. "accessory") plate frames available at dealerships?

·
Registered
49 Posts
The first thing I did was to take the plate off and bend the tabs on the back of the frame to make a nice tight fit for the plate. Then I mounted small felt pads around the perimeter of the frame to provide a stand-off for the plate, but I mounted them to the car, not the frame. That prevents the vibrating plate from wearing through the paint.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts