Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tldr: Fiat owns Chrysler and Maserati, Chrysler is purportedly donor platform for Ghibli base architecture and some parts. The V6 diesel engine was developed by Maserati but through collaboration with former Ferrari executive. V8 is joint Ferrari/Maserati project, but for Ghibli purposes will be twin-turbo. Who knows about V6; hope it's not Chrysler-based.

So I keep reading a bunch of stuff about Chrysler, Fiat, and Ferrari in all these articles. I wanted to use this thread to piece everything together. Obviously I know nothing of the history of the brand, which I am hoping to rectify a little bit presently.

I must note obviously many of these rumors originate from one website, and all the other car bloggers / sites write their own spin off it and it circulates throughout the internet. Automotive journalism at its finest :rolleyes:

Fiat Group
Fiat has acquired numerous other companies; e.g., it acquired Lancia in 1968, became a shareholder of Ferrari in 1969, took control of Alfa Romeo from the Italian government in 1986, purchased Maserati in 1993, and became the majority shareholder of Chrysler in 2011.

Chrysler
The rumors seem to have begun from a Mototrend Article back in 2012: Report: Maserati Quattroporte and Smaller Levante Sedan Based on Chrysler 300C - WOT on Motor Trend

But if you trace back even further, you see rumors about the upcoming Maserati Levante being based off the Jeep architecture and may potentially have a Ferrari-sourced engine.

If you trace these articles, it leads back to the one abovereferenced:
2012 Paris: Maserati Confirms New Model Names: Ghibli, Quattroporte, Levante - WOT on Motor Trend
We See You: Maserati Ghibli Sedan Tries to Hide During Testing - WOT on Motor Trend

Ferrari
I keep hearing about the Ferrari-sourced twin-turbo V8. Then I hear Ferrari is also making the diesel. Then I read the V6 is Chrysler-derived. But yet another article writes the V6 is Ferrari-based. :confused:

from Shanghai: Maserati details 5-Series-fighting Ghibli sedan
The Ghibli will be available with two turbocharged gasoline-burning 3.0-liter V6 engines and Maserati will offer the car with its first-ever diesel engine, a 3.0L V6 developed by Scuderia Ferrari former Chief Motorist Paolo Martinelli. A performance-minded V8 mill will top out the lineup later in the production run, but it is unclear whether the eight-cylinder engine will be the Ferrari-built 3.8-liter twin-turbo used in the Quattroporte or a Chrysler-derived unit based on the Hemi architecture.
Read more at Shanghai: Maserati details 5-Series-fighting Ghibli sedan

from http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-27/ferrari-fueled-maserati-at-65-600-lures-bored-bmw-buyers.html

The four-door Ghibli exudes sportiness with glaring headlights, a low-slung front end and high rear haunches. The base version features a Ferrari 330-horsepower V6 engine and its interior is accentuated by leather from 101-year-old Italian furniture maker Poltrona Frau SpA (PFG).
The Ghibli is part of a broader expansion by Maserati, which includes the overhaul of the $130,000 Quattroporte flagship earlier this year and the introduction of its first sport-utility vehicle, the Levante, by 2015. Fiat, which plans to merge with Chrysler Group LLC, is investing about 1.2 billion euros ($1.6 billion) to revamp Maserati. Ferrari is hiring 200 workers at its Maranello plant to build engines for the brand.

from http://www.worldcarfans.com/113041956753/2014-maserati-ghibli-and-330-hp-v6-quattroporte-announced
Ghibli will be available with a choice of two turbocharged V6 gasoline engines and for the first time in the company's history, with a diesel represented by a V6 3.0-liter turbodiesel developed by Maserati in collaboration with ex Ferrari chief motorist Paolo Martinelli. With this engine, the 2014 Ghibli will have a fuel consumption of less than 6 liters / 100 km (39.2 mpg US / 47 mpg UK) in the NEDC fuel economy cycle.
from Ferrari/Maserati engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
^I'm assuming all V8 Ferrari-sourced mentions refer to the above

·
Registered
284 Posts
And once again America won't get a diesel luxury sedan, i highly doubt that diesel V6 will come here, but it's okay I love how the petrol V6 sounds, I bet it performs just as well too.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Great work organizing this information. I would like some confirmed answers from Maserati.

To add more to the fire, I read that VM Motori assisted with the diesel engine development.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
from the Maserati eBook 2

Ghibli
The Ghibli is powered by an innovative 3 litre Twin Turbo V6 engine: designed by the Maserati Powertrain engineers and built with passion at the Ferrari plant in Maranello, it is a highly efficient unit, capable of achieving even lower fuel consumption and emissions, while still delivering stunningly sporty performance. From a standstill, the Maserati Ghibli springs to 100 km/h in 5.7 seconds; topspeed is 263 km/h.

Ghibli S
The 2.979 litre Twin Turbo V6 installed on the Maserati Ghibli S is designed to guarantee a powerful driving experience; it generates 410 horsepower and in Sport mode reaches a maximum torque of 550 Nm at just 1,750 rpm.

Ghibli S Q4
The Ghibli S Q4 is powered by the same engine as the rear-wheel drive Ghibli S: an efficient 3 litre Twin Turbo V6 that delivers a peak of 410 horsepower

1 - 5 of 5 Posts