Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 50/50 merger with France’s Groupe PSA is supposed to still go ahead (owner of Peugeot, Citroen, DS, Opel and Vauxhall brands - the last two were owned by GM until recently). We already know that Maserati will no longer use the Ferrari engine soon as Ferrari ”does not have the capacity” or is it just cost? We knew Fiat Chrysler has been on its knees for years and had to raid the Chrysler parts bin to build Maseratis. It may get worse. And there I am asking why incandescent light bulbs are used instead of LEDs in the door lights and trunk/boot lights! Fiat Chrysler’s debt is rated by S&P as BB+, that is below investment grade and classified as “speculative“ or often referred to as “high yield“ or called ”junk bonds” until the late 1980s. Remember when Mercedes was run by engineers and they would build the most advanced car given the technology of the day regardless of cost and figure out what the price should be AFTER they finished building it. Well, with Fiat Chrysler group, it is quite the opposite. So sad.

·
Super Moderator
2,100 Posts
We already know that Maserati will no longer use the Ferrari engine soon as Ferrari ”does not have the capacity” or is it just cost? We knew Fiat Chrysler has been on its knees for years and had to raid the Chrysler parts bin to build Maseratis.
Couple things ... limitations imposed by Ferrari on engines (not to compete with Ferrari), high cost premium, (profit center), more capacity to make their own and recent concerns (disputes), with some quality defects leading to seized Maserati engines. We're still waiting to hear who will build the next generation Maserati engine once the contract expires.

Today's Ghibli has come a long way from the rushed relaunch MY14 version ... going from hand-built's to semi-automated production ... overpriced for the name and Ferrari engine. Trying to attract lower budget buyers. To be proper, this car should cost near $100K US than likely wouldn't depreciate as badly. I paid just under $100K to get a new 2014 car built to my expectations ... on the positive other than many campaigns the car has held up outstanding and still gets attention over the everyday BMW, Audi, Merc and etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent comments. Yes, with Ferrari engines it may be more about capacity as you rightly say And they have claimed. I have had no real issues with my 2016 Ghibli but then I only drive about 4,000 miles per year. So the current engine is partly Chrysler and partly Ferrari, will it be a Chrysler of Fiat engine next or maybe a German Opel (ex GM Europe), I think an Alfa Romeo engine makes sense from a brand perspective. All Maserati models are to be hybrids with the next year or two right, at least in the U.K. and Europe. Many countries will have a complete ban on sales of new of internal combustion engines in the next 10 to 20 years, the Netherlands, one of my countries, by 2030, France by 2040, but Paris by 2030, some cities have earlier bans. This is why I bought the car, I have had a few Mercedes and a coupe Bentleys and thought this was the last opportunity to have a Maserati with a Ferrari engine. What will it be like driving around town in a Maserati sounding like a Prius or Tesla? Well, I guess that’s progress.

·
Super Moderator
2,100 Posts
So the current engine is partly Chrysler and partly Ferrari, will it be a Chrysler of Fiat engine next or maybe a German Opel (ex GM Europe), I think an Alfa Romeo engine makes sense from a brand perspective. All Maserati models are to be hybrids with the next year or two right, at least in the U.K. and Europe. Many countries will have a complete ban on sales of new of internal combustion engines in the next 10 to 20 years, the Netherlands, one of my countries, by 2030, France by 2040, but Paris by 2030, some cities have earlier bans. This is why I bought the car, I have had a few Mercedes and a coupe Bentleys and thought this was the last opportunity to have a Maserati with a Ferrari engine. What will it be like driving around town in a Maserati sounding like a Prius or Tesla? Well, I guess that’s progress.
Other than the engine block, it's pretty much Ferrari/Maserati equivelent engine components ... plenty of other borrowed stuff inside car. I think the early engine blocks were exclusively sourced in Italy, now it's dual sourced.

I did like the idea of a Ferrari engine when I bought the car. Suspect they will find a "marketing" solution that delivers name and power once they discontinue new engine arrangement.

Suspect there will be a work around for those buying cars with internal combustion engines ... whether a creative used or import opportunity and/or "tax penalty" to save face on any pressure to continue with internal combustion engines.

Wild card on table, is how Fiat Chrysler (and pending Peugeot equal merger) will impact future Maserati strategy.

I can't imagine a silent Maserati (or Ferrari) albeit it could be more powerful with the high torque electric motors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts