Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They did a review of diesel and it started out ok but then went south after harder driving. Compared it to a 5 series diesel, price and performance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nobody in UK seems to have reviewed the petrol, I tested both cars and for me the petrol (base v6) was much more engaging........personal taste of course!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm looking forward to trying the whole Maserati range out tomorrow at a dealer event around a closed track so no worries about being a bit heavy with the load pedal !! I have tried the Diesel Ghibli and liked it but I finally get the chance to drive the one I have ordered.. The petrol one ???

·
Registered
325 Posts
That was a great car, as was the GranTurismo MC Stradale, but something I did notice and this is more aimed at the European market is that there is a HUGE difference between the two petrol Ghibli's..... and I mean Huge !
The 410 BHP version (Ghibli S) sits lower, sounds amazing (totally different to the standard car) has amazing brakes and just feels so much better balanced than its 325 BHP stable mate.
This has really got me thinking... I have the 325 BHP version ordered and due to be delivered in September.... have I made the right choice ? I am really not too sure. There is a massive gap between my current car C63 and the 'base' Ghibli, it might prove too much....Maybe more time in the car and I will get used to it. To be fair, the demo I tried today did not have the paddles so that might make a big difference to how it drives. Saying that, the 'S' didn't either :-(

·
Registered
159 Posts
Have the Ghibli S and at the time of delivery, I think the first 325 BHP versions were making it through the gates. Never actually saw a demo of one, but I read on some reviews that because of the lower overall weight of the 325 version, the handling was supposed to be slightly better. Mind you the S is plenty decent, so I'll never know.

The S has full electronic seats, AFS lights and uprated discs and calipers as standard.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Update, been on to the dealer (who were great about the whole thing) and changed up to the 'S' model. Managed also to get rid of the Premium Stereo option I chose on the base Ghibli which is a big relief based on the negative publicity it has received on this forum.
H
Now VERY excited..... Roll on September 1st !!! :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
That was a great car, as was the GranTurismo MC Stradale, but something I did notice and this is more aimed at the European market is that there is a HUGE difference between the two petrol Ghibli's..... and I mean Huge !
The 410 BHP version (Ghibli S) sits lower, sounds amazing (totally different to the standard car) has amazing brakes and just feels so much better balanced than its 325 BHP stable mate.
This has really got me thinking... I have the 325 BHP version ordered and due to be delivered in September.... have I made the right choice ? I am really not too sure. There is a massive gap between my current car C63 and the 'base' Ghibli, it might prove too much....Maybe more time in the car and I will get used to it. To be fair, the demo I tried today did not have the paddles so that might make a big difference to how it drives. Saying that, the 'S' didn't either :-(
I have also driven both cars and for me it was allmost the exact same car, of course you feel more power in the S and brakes discs are smaller this is only because the S has a bigger topspeed and you need this to brake on time from high speed, the S version doesn't sit lower... maybe you had other rims or no sport suspension on the standard version.... or maybe you didn't change your electric seat :laugh:! The balance is even in my opinion and the sound is the same you go in high rev's with both cars, of course you can go in much higher revs with the S than the standard.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hi Schnippy, interesting observations and comments you make and I do generally agree but the 2 cars handled really differently (I'm not a good enough driver to really make a schooled comment) but the two instructors both commented how differently the two cars felt and behaved. It was really interesting getting out of the base car and then going into the 'S' it seemed to hug the road differently (we were going around the same hill and straight track each time) one thing I am certain of though was the sound ... The 'S' sounded a lot deeper and more aggressive but hey, they both sounded amazing !! :)
Having now been in both I decided to go for the 'S', the performance is more similar to my current C63 and according to the technical specs of both the petrol Ghibli's there is only 0.6 seconds difference to 62mph but it feels a whole lot faster..... I bet the 4wd our American friends have is just incredible.
Anyway, decision made, now really excited.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi Schnippy, interesting observations and comments you make and I do generally agree but the 2 cars handled really differently (I'm not a good enough driver to really make a schooled comment) but the two instructors both commented how differently the two cars felt and behaved. It was really interesting getting out of the base car and then going into the 'S' it seemed to hug the road differently (we were going around the same hill and straight track each time) one thing I am certain of though was the sound ... The 'S' sounded a lot deeper and more aggressive but hey, they both sounded amazing !! :)
Having now been in both I decided to go for the 'S', the performance is more similar to my current C63 and according to the technical specs of both the petrol Ghibli's there is only 0.6 seconds difference to 62mph but it feels a whole lot faster..... I bet the 4wd our American friends have is just incredible.
Anyway, decision made, now really excited.
Hm really strange about the handling, i've drove the S and diesel after each other, 2 weeks ago and this week i've had the 330hp petrol and all where handling all much the same but I've only driven ons the street not on a circuit.

I actually liked the diesel more than the S to drive but the only reason was that the suspension was alot stiffer, the diesel had the sportpack and the S had the skyhook what made alot of difference so it was all about the options and not about the car actually. About the sound, the V6 creates for all petrols the same sound, but of course the revs make a big difference the 330hp goes to 4500 - 5000 rmp while the S goes to 7000-8000 rmp and that make a higher sound when you reach those revs.

Of course if you can choose between S or 330hp the best choice is the S, for me it was a litle bit to expensive for a second car, this is the only reason I've ordered the 330.

Good luck m8!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts