Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given a build date of 6/14, when would the group suggest a full detail -- interior and exterior? I've been told that paint should mature at least 90 days from the date of manufacture prior to waxing the finish. Welcome suggestions. Thanks, Scott

·
Administrator
2,414 Posts
With today's finishes and painting/drying technique there is no too soon for the modern process by the time you take delivery. Years ago yes you would want to let the paint cure.

I rushed to get mine fully (professionally) detailed inside and out within a few weeks of delivery to best protect that new car finish.

I'm sure your dealer did a quick coat of something prior to your delivery. Mine did which we had to remove prior to applying the GTechniq.

Reactions: Spsesq

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New Paints

I've heard the new generation of paints and interior materials do not require time to cure prior to detailing; however, I did feel compelled to ask the question of the forum. Thanks, Scott

·
Administrator
2,414 Posts
Good to ask!!! That is what this forum is all about. Had you suggested a risky or wrong direction you would have been inundated with caution comments / recommendations from the community.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I agree with BeerGuy.
Get it done right away.
I waited and alreasy have some paint issues.
The mica paint on these cars is so soft it mars very easily.

·
Administrator
2,414 Posts
Both are good but different.

For <$100, The Zaino is great if you build up the coats and apply the top finish every 6-months minimum. The kit will give at least 4-6 applications depending on how many coats you want to apply. If you like doing this stuff yourself Zaino is great. I've used on my Black Escalade for years with excellent results and another Ghibli owner MRPA1999 uses it on his Black Ghibli with outstanding results.

The Opti-coat (consumer or Pro?) will last longer and be more durable. Most who choose Opticoat have it done professionally which starts at $400 and quickly rises depending on prep work needed.

I wanted to try something a little different so choose GTechniq Professional for inside and out (there is thread on this forum) and paid $725 with a 7 year warranty. It has held out great and water really beads off the surface. I had a bird do his thing on my roof in the hot sun and it literally "baked off' the finish instead of sticking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts