Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about taking my Ghibli to a dealership for first oil change to see prices and check out the whole vibe. Changing low beam headlights was a fun task when I did it. Should I stick to DIY on everything, or is some stuff dealership only? It's a 2015 so I'm not voiding a warranty or anything. Thanks ahead of time for any help

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a 2015 SQ4 and do DIY on everything except oil. I just don't like messing with it and having to dump it. I have an indy shop that specializes in exotics and he does it for $300. My maserati dealership where I bought the car charges $700. It all depends on what level of maintenance you want to do. That being said I did change my own spark plugs easy peasy.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Oil is an easy DIY, as are other routine items like plugs, fluids, etc. I've been doing my own maintenance and simple repairs since my warranty ended a few years ago. But there is an argument to be made for bringing it into the dealer or good indy once in a while for an oil change just to have them give the car a good once over and check all the things you may not otherwise check. I do try to check all the major things when I'm under the car, but I'm no mechanic. On my last oil change last fall, I found a very loose bolt on the driver's side lower control arm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 2015 SQ4 and do DIY on everything except oil. I just don't like messing with it and having to dump it. I have an indy shop that specializes in exotics and he does it for $300. My maserati dealership where I bought the car charges $700. It all depends on what level of maintenance you want to do. That being said I did change my own spark plugs easy peasy.
Ok, awesome, thanks. I'm going to give closest Maserati dealership to me (2 hours) a call and see if there willing to shoot me some prices before I go there. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oil is an easy DIY, as are other routine items like plugs, fluids, etc. I've been doing my own maintenance and simple repairs since my warranty ended a few years ago. But there is an argument to be made for bringing it into the dealer or good indy once in a while for an oil change just to have them give the car a good once over and check all the things you may not otherwise check. I do try to check all the major things when I'm under the car, but I'm no mechanic. On my last oil change last fall, I found a very loose bolt on the driver's side lower control arm.
Yeah, that sounds like a plan. Ill have to check out the oil change on YouTube. If it looks too crazy I'll go the other way and have a pro do it. I intend on taking her to a place around 100k for sure. Thanks for reply

·
Registered
57 Posts
There are a couple good vids on YouTube covering oil changes and brake changes. James DIY Garage and DIY Dan among others. Just make sure you invest in a service reset tool so you can reset your own maintenance light. I use an OBDSTAR X-200 pro. Not all scanners will reset a maserati service light.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just did my first oil change on my 2018 ghibli (since I got it). I used to work on cars a while ago and have done my own maintinence since ever. With that said, this was the easiest, spill free oil change I've probably ever done. No need to lift the car. I did what others have recommended and bought a vacuum fluid extractor. Literally put the tube down the dipstick tube all the way and pump out the old oil. Then all you have to do is screw off the oil filter cap and replace the filter and then add new oil. As sledge mentioned, you'll need a diagnostic tool that can reset your maintenence interval in the IC. I'm a huge fan of alfaobd. The app for android is like $50 and then the recommended Bluetooth adapter is like $100 ish. You can edit alot of other future things/mods too with it! For how easy it is and how much cheaper it is to do the oil change on my own, I would never pay the dealer just for that.
However, I do agree on having the dealer give the car a thorough once-over eventually. maybe i'll have them do the belts for me instead!

·
Registered
78 Posts
There are a couple good vids on YouTube covering oil changes and brake changes. James DIY Garage and DIY Dan among others. Just make sure you invest in a service reset tool so you can reset your own maintenance light. I use an OBDSTAR X-200 pro. Not all scanners will reset a maserati service light.
Talking about reset tool, I just want to let people on the forum know that after my adult son did an oil change on my 2015 Ghibli SQ4, He suggested I order the Autel Maxiap AP200 obd (about $60 on Amazon) a trial to reset the "Routine Maintenance Over Due" light. As a complete novice, knowing almost nothing about obd, I was able to reset the warning light on first try. So if you want a reset tool, this is an alternative to the more expensive units.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts