Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the Ghibli onto the Eurotunnel train over the weekend. Here's a picture of her on the train.

Very easy to just hit the switch and change from mph to kph. I also switched the headlights to dip (no need for stickers on the lights when converting from RHD to LHD). Satnav was a breeze to use in France and Belgium. Also the visibility from the car is very good when joining a motorway, so I didn't have to strain to look across to the passenger side. The time even autoadjusted for me when the train got to France.

This is certainly a car at home in Europe or the UK. Came across some lovely open roads between Lille and Brussels. Was very tempting to really plant the foot down, but I hear that the traffic cops carry card reading machines so that they can fine you on the spot. Mine was the only Maser I saw in Europe!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Took the Ghibli onto the Eurotunnel train over the weekend. Here's a picture of her on the train.

Very easy to just hit the switch and change from mph to kph. I also switched the headlights to dip (no need for stickers on the lights when converting from RHD to LHD). Satnav was a breeze to use in France and Belgium. Also the visibility from the car is very good when joining a motorway, so I didn't have to strain to look across to the passenger side. The time even autoadjusted for me when the train got to France.

This is certainly a car at home in Europe or the UK. Came across some lovely open roads between Lille and Brussels. Was very tempting to really plant the foot down, but I hear that the traffic cops carry card reading machines so that they can fine you on the spot. Mine was the only Maser I saw in Europe!
Weird that you say you had open roads because in Belgium we always have high traffic, but maybe it was because of the weekend. You heard the cops have card reading machines, indeed they have and as an not citizen you must pay directly :) ! I actually never drive the limit of 120km/h most of the time I drive 132km/h since thats the limit that they use to penalty you, often I drive 140 when the situation allows it but for fast driving you actually have to go to germany to the autobahn :) We pass there every year when we go skying in Austria, and yeah even when you drive 200km/h cars will pass you ! (currently its the max. i've driven in germany because I've got my family with me and a carbox on the roof ...

ps: if you come back in 4 months to belgium you will see another ghibli thats exactly the same as yours :) if you pass me ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello everybody here!

I am new in this community. I just got my first Ghibli which is even not yet registered (but in process)

I have a british car and I was wondering how you switched the headlights to dip?

I cannot find any lever/switch behind the headlights to switch from LHD to RHD to adjust the headlight beam pattern to prevent the glare onto oncoming drivers in Europe.
I was used to do that on my other cars thanks to an internal 'shutter' that could be moved into place by a screw or lever adjustment at the back of the headlamp unit, but here I cannot find anything.
FYI masks/deflectors are not suitable for xenons, so how did you do?

Thank you for helping ;)

Chris

·
Registered
652 Posts
If you car has AFS there should be an option in MTC called "headlight changeover" or "tourist dip" (can't remember exactly) that does exactly that. Check your user's manual.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you Toshy.
I am not sure if I have Afs or not but I do not think so.
I just checked in the MTC and as you said, there should be the option:"*headlight dip (traffic changeover) but I do not have this option :-( , so i guess my lights are non AFS.
But what about in case of non Afs headlights? Does anybody knows what to do to with the headlights to reduce the glare on oncoming drivers? FYI masks/deflectors are not suitable for xenons and I am risking a fine :-/
Thanks again.
Chris

·
Registered
153 Posts
As I understand it all Ghibli's have the AFS headlights. My handbook does make mention of that function within the settings menu under the section 'Lights'.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Interesting... I don't remember seeing it as an option two years ago when I ordered my car. What would it have been in, in terms of an option pack. Also my car has auto headlight that will go o full beam on totally dark roads, and then auto dip when a car approaches from the opposite direction. Surely that's part of the AFS system?

·
Registered
652 Posts
In Europe, it was included with the Premium Pack, the one that comes with electrically adjustable steering wheel, pedals and seats.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've got it on my UK Ghibli S. I can't see it as an option but it's probably included with something else.

I do have an option you need to select in the MTC->Settings->Lights.

You should have it if you've got the auto main beam as it uses the same camera to do the adaptive headlights.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yes I have all the options within the Light section in the Settings menu. I think it comes as part of the pack that Toshey mentioned. But in the UK probably because of RHD we don't get the adjustable pedal box.
I know in the handbook it makes mention of how the light pattern alters according to the road your on, beyond the swivelling headlights. Can't say I have ever noticed any of that happening.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've not noticed the different light patterns either. Well, I've not noticed the change. It does seem to light up a lot of the road on the country roads leading to our village though so maybe I've just not looked for it.

It does work abroad though. At least it did when I drove to Italy last year. I'm relying on it working when I go again shortly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As I will be moving house to Europe from UK, I will need to change my headlights since they are non AFS and not adjustable :-(

Does anybody know the part number for the non AFS but left hand drive (continental) headlights?

There are so many references and I am not sure that the AFS version would fit a car which does not have this option.

Thank you all for your help ;-)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts