Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not at all, on the road I only need upto second gear and then I'm at the speed limit. I drove an S as the test drive and in my opinion the 0.6 seconds is not noticeable and I have a chunk of money in the bank still

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you guys regret not getting the S model ( speed-wise and leaving AWD aside ) ?
I also seriously looked at the S, but just couldn't justify the extra cost here in Australia, about $25k! I did add extras to the base and would definitely get the "flappy paddles".
I certainly haven't needed the extra power as most of my driving is in the city. I have previously had a Boxster and a Cayman and certainly am happy with the base Ghibli power.

I must a admit to being a bit concerned reading some of the negative reviews and comments, but I've had for a couple of weeks now and I absolutely love it, I even have a smile walking to the car early in the morning!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Absolutely not. Would more power be fun, sure. We just don't have many places in Vegas to go crazy. Plus I have a MB SLK55 AMG that I don't really get to appreciate much. Our decision was more based more on the active 4 wheel drive. Our Audi's had all wheel drive, always on. If they offered the bigger engine without the 4 wheel I might have considered it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The only way for you to decide for yourself is try both cars... Simple as that. Everyone has their own thoughts and expectations in what they are looking for. Personally, I think their is a big difference between the two engines outputs (and not just the 0-62mph time) but as I said, that is my opinion and that is why I went for the S over the base model. ?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I also seriously looked at the S, but just couldn't justify the extra cost here in Australia, about $25k!
Thats insane, for the same engine only a bit tuned, they are crazy!

I don't get it why anyone would pay an 25k extra for a chiptune and 6 piston brake instead of 4 ...

But I know in the states SQ4 is very cheap, it cost the same as my base ghibli in europe, if I would live in the US I surely would buy the SQ4, europe and Australia I would go for the base :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only way for you to decide for yourself is try both cars... Simple as that. Everyone has their own thoughts and expectations in what they are looking for. Personally, I think their is a big difference between the two engines outputs (and not just the 0-62mph time) but as I said, that is my opinion and that is why I went for the S over the base model. ?
Unfortunately the dealer doesn't have an S model for the test drive. Also, I believe that the ghibli is much more expensive in Kuwait than anywhere else in the world. The base ghibli start from 77K USD here in Kuwait, where in the states for example it starts from 65K .. That's a 12K difference.

The base ghibli I chose costs 91K USD, to get the S model with the same options it will cost about 108K minimum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Unfortunately the dealer doesn't have an S model for the test drive. Also, I believe that the ghibli is much more expensive in Kuwait than anywhere else in the world. The base ghibli start from 77K USD here in Kuwait, where in the states for example it starts from 65K .. That's a 12K difference.

The base ghibli I chose costs 91K USD, to get the S model with the same options it will cost about 108K minimum.
Higher than US, but not really more than anywhere else.
In Australia base is US$145K, S US$175k.
For comparison a BMW 550i is US$166 and and 640i Gran Coupe is US$184K. If I could have got a Ghibli S for US$108k....

·
Registered
278 Posts

Still cheaper than in Belgium my friend, here the base starts from 104K , my base ghibli costs: 115.5k (inclusive 11% discount)

·
Registered
666 Posts

In most Asian countries. The government tax 100% on import cars. So Ghibli base is about $140K and SQ4 will probably be about $175k in Taiwan.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I guess it's not more expensive than the rest of the world, just the states :D

But that wasn't the main point, are your base ghiblis fast enough folks?

·
Registered
112 Posts
It's really down to the individual and what they feel/ want/expect.

Yes. Having driven both, the RWD S version is faster than base, but for me, I am
Moving up to a Ghibli from BMW 330 msport (265bhp) & 0-60in 6.6secs so I wanted something that's quicker and the base ghibli does just that. Plus, it fits my budget, as I was keen on a nice interior (sports pack/ electrics ) & slyhook suspension. So I hopefully will get exactly what I want. I think that's the beauty of it with the Maserati, the options, be it kit or engine or colours are emtorely customers to your needs.

I suspect you won't be disappointed either way frankly- it's a Ferrari developed and built engine.

·
Registered
863 Posts
After seeing and reading the prices from different part of the world, i am so freaking HAPPY to be in USA. The cars over here and over almost everything is so affordable.

Just on a side note, even in Canada the prices are higher than USA. I think its all because of the buying power of the US market and government regulations which makes it an overall amazing place.

Love this country.. and God Bless it.

·
Registered
863 Posts
My Ghibli is fast very fast. I have the Sq4 and it really shoots. The people who talked about the base and why they got it was not because they didnt want more power, but either because of the price difference b/w the two models and the availability.

I am 100% sure if all of you guys will be living in USA you would have got the Sq4 and would have a wicked grin listening and feeling that 404 HP engine. >:D

Who doesn't like more horsepower given that it comes at a good price. :)

Well I guess it's not more expensive than the rest of the world, just the states :D

But that wasn't the main point, are your base ghiblis fast enough folks?

·
Registered
666 Posts
My Ghibli is fast very fast. I have the Sq4 and it really shoots. The people who talked about the base and why they got it was not because they didnt want more power, but either because of the price difference b/w the two models and the availability.

I am 100% sure if all of you guys will be living in USA you would have got the Sq4 and would have a wicked grin listening and feeling that 404 HP engine. >:D

Who doesn't like more horsepower given that it comes at a good price. :)
Agree. Surgeon. It depends on your budget. If you can only afford a base, get a base. It is a nice car. If you can afford a S, get a S. It is a nicer car. But if you asked if I want a fully loaded base or lightly equipped S. I would go with a lightly equipped S.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The difference is really $10,000. The base starts at 69K and the SQ4 at 79K. That 10K difference is in the AWD and engine HP and Torque. As for options, they are both priced relatively the same so your real analysis is:
"is it worth $10,000 for 404 HP and 406 f/lb. torque with all wheel drive?"

In my opinion (and I exercised that opinion with my wallet) the answer is a resounding YES!:D

I am in the North East. In New Jersey it snows, it rains a lot it and ices up real easy here. Although I do not plan on driving my Ghibli in any icy, snowy or salted roads unless ABSOLUTLEY necessary, I still want that AWD for safety, control and I wanted that additional power because...well its 404 HP v. 345 HP.... and well...its 404 HP and 406 torque 0-60 in 4.7 seconds!>:D

As for options, the only thing I did not get was the heated steering wheel and BW Stereo (ok if I could do it again I would change the stereo...:crying:)

As for the question AWD SQ$ and less frills v. base Ghibli?....no brainer....GET THE SQ4!!
Steve

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Like Steve, for me it's a 'no brainer' - I ordered by 2015 SQ4 with everything but Skyhook.

The combination of Sports mode, chassis and weight distribution make it a wonderful car to drive >:D
Not to mention that exhaust note ;)- my wife too loved that testosterone

D

Reactions: Spsesq
1 - 20 of 35 Posts