Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes. It is common problem.
Either
Software if you didn't get the latest update. I did but didn't solve mine.

Diverter valve is stuck. There is a cable on drivers side that gets in the way. A campaign to put a clip around wires which normally solves the problem.

Or actuator burns out due to cables blocking diverter.

I had the cables tied back and found actuator was bad. Dealer replaced - 2 hours of work and good as new now.
I am having this situation - 2 years ago i was in Charleston and the cool air stopped working on the passenger side but the next day it started working again sooooo they can't repair if it isn't broken (???) and yesterday it began with the cool air coming only out of my defrost area and not at the feet or face - unfortunately I purchased my 2015 Ghibli new jan 2015 and the dealership is saying that it is no longer under warranty. I only have 41,000 miles on her but have had her over 4 years. Any suggestions - anything will help! Thank you

·
Registered
7 Posts
you're out of warranty, but if the dealership doesn't want to deal with it you'll need a better dealership. unsticking the actuator and linkage, updating software, and calibrating are the fix.
do you receive your software updates during like your 30,000 mile check up?
I am having this situation - 2 years ago i was in Charleston and the cool air stopped working on the passenger side but the next day it started working again sooooo they can't repair if it isn't broken (???) and yesterday it began with the cool air coming only out of my defrost area and not at the feet or face - unfortunately I purchased my 2015 Ghibli new jan 2015 and the dealership is saying that it is no longer under warranty. I only have 41,000 miles on her but have had her over 4 years. Any suggestions - anything will help! Thank you
you're out of warranty, but if the dealership doesn't want to deal with it you'll need a better dealership. unsticking the actuator and linkage, updating software, and calibrating are the fix.
I still haven’t received a return call from my dealership. It has been now 3 days now the cold air is coming out of the vents on the driver side but hot air on the passenger side even with it set on 60 degrees. I love my car but am upset with the entire situation.

·
Registered
644 Posts
software updates aren't usually something that is just applied, unless there is a concern line or a campaign that directs it.
setting temp to a temperature number isn't indicative of what isn't working. it only works on hot/cold when set to low/high, otherwise it uses cabin temp sensors to figure out what the duct temp should be. test it with the engine hot and operating temp, then use low and high to figure which/what isn't working right.
the temperature actuator for the driver side is harder to get to than the mode actuator and the passenger temp actuator.

·
Administrator
2,752 Posts
software updates aren't usually something that is just applied, unless there is a concern line or a campaign that directs it.
setting temp to a temperature number isn't indicative of what isn't working. it only works on hot/cold when set to low/high, otherwise it uses cabin temp sensors to figure out what the duct temp should be. test it with the engine hot and operating temp, then use low and high to figure which/what isn't working right.
the temperature actuator for the driver side is harder to get to than the mode actuator and the passenger temp actuator.

the actuator for the mode door is above the driver side floor, kind of adjacent/just below the steering column assembly.
i'd venture 1-2 hours for the software update, calibration(s), getting to and freeing up the actuator/linkage. it can really depend on whether the update/calibration fixes it vs that and having to get the actuator out and back in.
also, the ghibli is a lot tighter quarters to get to the actuator than a QP. significantly much more pain in the ass.
I had my software updated with campaign 255 in first year of ownership, (2014). Than the common "defrost only" mode was sporadic so we did the replacement and calibration of actuator and put clips on cables to prevent wiring from getting in way of linkage, (2015). Worked great for 4 more years and appears stuck again ... ice cold air from defroster and side window vents only which tells me the actuator is stuck in default closed position. I tried the usual to see if I could get it to work in Heat or AC (Auto or Max modes) but no success.
Service manager indicated they rarely see repeat problems, (or actuator burned), after doing the full prevention and when they do it's usually a stuck actuator or software.

He suggested I tap on the actuator to see if that will free it up ... which I suspect is as you indicated in a previous post ... is located on drivers side. I suspect you can't access that area to even tap the actuator without removing the lower panel or part of dash? The shop manual list a long convoluted process to remove dash first for access.
I know from previous lessons learned go too long with it stuck and it could burn out actuator motor which is a more costly repair.

·
Registered
644 Posts
the lower panel needs removing and you can see the actuator between the dashboard steel framing around the steering column. the linkage goes way up there.
i usually have to jab and stab at it with a 8"+ flat head repeatedly while trying to cycle modes and cycle the ignition. eventually, it'll start moving if the actuator is still good. it likely is. i've replaced very, very few actuators for being bad. QPs have much easier access as the dash is bigger and more hollow under there. ghibli is cramped.

·
Administrator
2,752 Posts
the lower panel needs removing and you can see the actuator between the dashboard steel framing around the steering column. the linkage goes way up there.
i usually have to jab and stab at it with a 8"+ flat head repeatedly while trying to cycle modes and cycle the ignition. eventually, it'll start moving if the actuator is still good. it likely is. i've replaced very, very few actuators for being bad. QPs have much easier access as the dash is bigger and more hollow under there. ghibli is cramped.

Removed bottom panel ... which I can see someone struggled before since it is cracked on the left side.
This image was provided to me as guidance since I was struggling to find the right spot. I expect I'm trying to tap mechanism in the location of the green?
Auto part Vehicle Car Engine Suspension part

·
Administrator
2,752 Posts
To close the loop ... it was just stuck and had the latest software from 2015 (campaign 255) to address over travel / hanging up.

Thanks to sc00bk and Jason the service manager at Maserati Mainline, (PA). They really tried to coach me through finding the actuator and guidance on trying to get it unstuck, (blow cold air out more than defroster vents). I initially sent a few pictures to Jason who immediately called to tell me I was banging on the wrong part :confused: and sent diagrams for me to better understand location. A few PM's from sc00bk helped me understand the tricks he uses.

I still couldn't get it un-jammed so Jason had me bring him the car. The Main Line service tech removed the three screws holding actuator in place so he could slide it out ... once out it seemed to immediately start working with cycling of the vents / power. Now it works perfect!!!

I wanted to call out the learning/benefits of participating on this forum and the help provided from members, like sc00bk, in this case.

Also, having an established relationship with my service center/manager (Jason Smith at Maserati Main Line), who responded quickly to my questions is one of the reasons why I drive 90+ miles to these guys when I have a local (newer) dealership 15 miles away. Mainline's treated me better than fair and have always been there for me over the 6+ years I owned my 2014 Ghibli SQ4 so why I keep going there. I hear horror stories about some dealerships, but feel fortunate to have Mainline on my side. I think that is why my 2014 has held up so well with all the scheduled and preventive maintenance done by Maserati tech's. Just my 2 cents on why I spend a little extra for Maserati service.

Reactions: sc00bk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes. It is common problem.
Either
Software if you didn't get the latest update. I did but didn't solve mine.

Diverter valve is stuck. There is a cable on drivers side that gets in the way. A campaign to put a clip around wires which normally solves the problem.

Or actuator burns out due to cables blocking diverter.

I had the cables tied back and found actuator was bad. Dealer replaced - 2 hours of work and good as new now.
Hello, any pictures of where it’s located?
[email protected]

·
Administrator
2,752 Posts
Hello, any pictures of where it’s located?
[email protected]
The mode actuator is behind the MTC unit in center of car. You literally need to crawl in on your back on drivers side floor and reach up behind center console, (after removing the lower panel and console panel). The attached pictures (July 10 post) are of the unit once you get to it. This is if your not getting any air from vents only defroster.

Reactions: Clarance anthone

·
Registered
7 Posts
The mode actuator is behind the MTC unit in center of car. You literally need to crawl in on your back on drivers side floor and reach up behind center console, (after removing the lower panel and console panel). The attached pictures (July 10 post) are of the unit once you get to it. This is if your not getting any air from vents only defroster.
Preciate it brother…

·
Registered
1 Posts

If air is blowing from all vents including defroster . Blows cool not cold on drivers side then blows warm on passenger and backseat vents. Is this the same location for a HVAC actuator on Maserati Ghibli 2016?

·
Administrator
2,752 Posts
There are 3 actuators. The one I referenced was the main air unit ... like the air only blowing out the defroster. The below sounds like your scenario.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts