Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I pick up my Ghibli on Friday. First thing I want to do is wrap the chrome surround on the front grille in gloss black.

Has anyone done this that could give me a quick run-down on how to remove it?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hi Guys,

I pick up my Ghibli on Friday. First thing I want to do is wrap the chrome surround on the front grille in gloss black.

Many thanks.
i havent seen anyone with a wrap on it but i would assume it will be very difficult. I would recommend plasti dip for things like that. Its just much easier.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Hi Guys,

Many thanks.
one of our lot cars has the chrome wrapped in gloss black vinyl throughout pretty much the whole car. the company that did it wanted the grille removed but the whole fascia has to be pulled to release clips and remove the screws that hold the grille on from the inside of the fascia.
a competent company ought to be able to do a great job without removing it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
What I wanted is my front grill chrome ( like on the gran cabrio) .. that would pull the chrome touch off the car and make it classier.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought this would be the case. Not an issue for me to remove the front end of the car. It's usually a fairly simple process and I've done it on two cars previously.

I'd rather do it with the grill off than in-situ. I'll probably do the chrome window surrounds and possibly the side vents too.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I thought this would be the case. Not an issue for me to remove the front end of the car. It's usually a fairly simple process and I've done it on two cars previously.

I'd rather do it with the grill off than in-situ. I'll probably do the chrome window surrounds and possibly the side vents too.
fascia removal is mostly simple except for the plastic brackets where the headlights meet the fender and the fascia. same pains in reinstalling at those locations. wheels come off for easiest removal of front halves of wheel liners.
two lot ghiblis have various vinyl: the chrome on the windowsills and the chrome on the sidevents. one of them has the chrome grill surround blacked out, as i said with the grill in place. looks flawless.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fascia removal is mostly simple except for the plastic brackets where the headlights meet the fender and the fascia. same pains in reinstalling at those locations. wheels come off for easiest removal of front halves of wheel liners.
two lot ghiblis have various vinyl: the chrome on the windowsills and the chrome on the sidevents. one of them has the chrome grill surround blacked out, as i said with the grill in place. looks flawless.
I'll take your advice and try it with the grill in-situ first. I suppose I can always start again with the fascia off if I don't like it.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'll take your advice and try it with the grill in-situ first. I suppose I can always start again with the fascia off if I don't like it.

Thanks for the info.
that's a good plan. like i said, fascia removal isn't that rough but those clips on the fender and headlights for the fascia are a pain to detach without breaking something.
the window sill chrome on the doors lift right up, except for the frontmost trim under the mirror, that can't come up with the mirror attached. the fender vents pop out,some little clips holding it in. they are part of the vent though so care must be taken.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that's a good plan. like i said, fascia removal isn't that rough but those clips on the fender and headlights for the fascia are a pain to detach without breaking something.
the window sill chrome on the doors lift right up, except for the frontmost trim under the mirror, that can't come up with the mirror attached. the fender vents pop out,some little clips holding it in. they are part of the vent though so care must be taken.
Is it easy enough to wrap under the mirrors or advisable to remove them?

·
Registered
324 Posts
front Grill

Anyone have any experience as to how easy it is to remove the front grill and replace it. I have the manuals and it doesn't look too difficult. I realize you need to take the front bumper off to get to it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
here is what it looks like with the chrome removed.
Think that's gone overboard and has really cheapened the car in my opinion. Looks like someone has gotten too carried away with changing things on that car just for the sake of personalisation without thinking about whether they should have actually done it. With all the red badging smoked lights and spoilers it's way too much in my opinion.

I'm interested in the front grille and the window trim only but even then not sure if blacking that out will suit a white car.

Thanks for the pics. Theres a better example on a youtube video that's been very tastefully done here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd8DP5qpibs

·
Registered
397 Posts
The guy got pissed of on youtube when i told him he ruined the car esthetic...lol oh well..
that said..Even if i dont think i d do any wrapping on mine, TheJackal 's wrap job is actually not bad at all .Black and Red contrast. Most of people doing those wraps have no "design or esthetic trained eye" and it can hurt the eyes.. some colors don t go with some shapes , and can be unbalanced.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The guy got pissed of on youtube when i told him he ruined the car esthetic...lol oh well..
that said..Even if i dont think i d do any wrapping on mine, TheJackal 's wrap job is actually not bad at all .Black and Red contrast. Most of people doing those wraps have no "design or esthetic trained eye" and it can hurt the eyes.. some colors don t go with some shapes , and can be unbalanced.

Agreed. I think some people want to personalise for the sake of it rather than stopping to think if it actually looks good. Thejackal's car is better but still too much in my eyes. For me, it'll be the side trim and front grill and that's it. I may actually just do the grill and leave the window trim. Going to try a couple of things and see what it looks like.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you are going to do chrome delete, theJackal's car looks great.

Personally, I would not make the emblem red or any other color because it is so large that it looks awkward. But the emblem in gloss black or dark grey (even better) would work very nicely.

I just saw a red Ferrari Cali that had that setup and it looked nice:

·
Registered
637 Posts
Anyone have any experience as to how easy it is to remove the front grill and replace it. I have the manuals and it doesn't look too difficult. I realize you need to take the front bumper off to get to it.
this has been touched on earlier here.
it is easy to separate from the fascia once the fascia is removed. 5 or 6 screws from inside and then plastic tabs get released to get the grille out. the fascia removal is the delicate part, as well as the the re-install.

and i personally like the smoked out blacked out lip spoilered ghibli. i think a blue ghibli with the same blackouts would look fantastic.

everyone has opinions.

·
Registered
324 Posts
this has been touched on earlier here.
it is easy to separate from the fascia once the fascia is removed. 5 or 6 screws from inside and then plastic tabs get released to get the grille out. the fascia removal is the delicate part, as well as the the re-install.

and i personally like the smoked out blacked out lip spoilered ghibli. i think a blue ghibli with the same blackouts would look fantastic.

everyone has opinions.
Thanks The fascia doesn't look that bad to remove. Just a little work. I was wondering if anyone had taken it off and had any difficulty with it. I'm not changing the color just replacing the grill. I was told they are all the same and that the sensors just bolt on. Can anyone confirm that. I would like to reuse the sensors. Don't want to get the grill with sensors if i won't need it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Thanks The fascia doesn't look that bad to remove. Just a little work. I was wondering if anyone had taken it off and had any difficulty with it. I'm not changing the color just replacing the grill. I was told they are all the same and that the sensors just bolt on. Can anyone confirm that. I would like to reuse the sensors. Don't want to get the grill with sensors if i won't need it.
i've removed several fascias. it isn't hard, you just have to be careful not to break off any plastic tabs above and below the headlights. the grille pops right out and the park sensors in it just pop out rearward. two tabs hold them in. make sure you don't lose the rubber insulator for the sensors. the connector for the harness of park sensors is ahead of the right intercooler, should be accessible when you take the forward half of the belly pan off. then bumper comes off with the sensors at that point and you'll see how they detach from the grille and bumper once you get eyes on. real simple. as i said though, care is required, but that that much of an ordeal. don't forget the torx bolts in each wheel well that hold the bumper to the fender. 4+ bolts up top, and 6+ bolts underneath.

·
Registered
324 Posts
i've removed several fascias. it isn't hard, you just have to be careful not to break off any plastic tabs above and below the headlights. the grille pops right out and the park sensors in it just pop out rearward. two tabs hold them in. make sure you don't lose the rubber insulator for the sensors. the connector for the harness of park sensors is ahead of the right intercooler, should be accessible when you take the forward half of the belly pan off. then bumper comes off with the sensors at that point and you'll see how they detach from the grille and bumper once you get eyes on. real simple. as i said though, care is required, but that that much of an ordeal. don't forget the torx bolts in each wheel well that hold the bumper to the fender. 4+ bolts up top, and 6+ bolts underneath.
Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been browsing around the site today as I bought my wife a Ghibli SQ4 which is being traded in. I have been a GT owner myself for past 6 years. I also have a 458 and a 911 turbo. I figured I would give the Ghibli Q4 a shot for my wife because she liked the look of the car but unfortunately I quickly realized this is not really a Maserati in every sense of the true legacy quality of these cars. I choose this particular thread to respond to of the many that literally blow my mind as to what some people on here think. I found many areas of this forum hilarious but this one thread is particular interesting. 2 people provided pictures for YOUR reference and instead of sticking to the topic you asked about, you go on about opinions and what "cheapens" the car. If you have experience with exotics, you will see this all the time, so who cares. You think hyper Yellow Lambo's look classy??? Idiots... Gentlemen please understand you Bianco and Sverzi are able to afford this car because Maserati cheapen the brand, Maserati offers the lowest lease to inflated MSRP for this car of any brand in this price segment. That why you two knuckle heads can afford it. Who cares what others do to their cars? I don't agree with most of nonsense I read on this forum in just one day of reading. I already know that most of the owners represented on here don't know anything about cars and even less about performance cars. It sad but I bet very few people exists on this forum who actually owned a real Maserati before the Ghibli. So anyone who feels anyone else here cheapens their car please look in the mirror because to all of us who drive real exotics you are driving a cheapen car!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts