Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day
I did read the available threads. There are a few theories as to what purpose they serve.
A. to keep debris out of wheel well ( does debris generally get in from the front??)
B. to regulate airflow (i am assuming at very high speed, anyone know what speed?)
C. wind noise on the highway

My question is how many ppl have taken them off and does anyone know first hand if there is additional wind noise on the highway.
I am hoping to find some first-hand input on wind noise or actual purpose. They for sure had a good reason to design them. I would like to take mine off but don't want highway noise to be increased.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
43 Posts
What is your reason for wanting to take them off? Is it because they tend to scrape the floor sometimes? If that is so, then don't worry about it, they are flexible pieces of plastic and scraping them doesn't damage anything.
They are present to improve the aerodynamics by reducing the turbulence caused by the wheels. Removing them will increase the drag a little bit and increase the fuel consumption ever so slightly. I don't believe there would be increased wind noise if you remove them, and even if it did, you wouldn't quite hear it because the floorpan is a very well dampened area.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply
My purpose is that I live in a rural area, lots of uneven roads and they scrape too much and I think they look awful aesthetically.
My fear is I increase wind noise in the cabin by removing them.

·
Administrator
2,515 Posts
Thanks for the reply
My purpose is that I live in a rural area, lots of uneven roads and they scrape too much and I think they look awful aesthetically.
My fear is I increase wind noise in the cabin by removing them.
I don't think there will be wind noise. Some folks have removed.
The other advantage of having flaps on is an early warning of scrapping ... better the plastic flap than the underside of the car.

·
Registered
95 Posts
mine are worn off from frequent scraping... so no need to take them off, they will be gone by themselves :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts