Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2014 Maserati Ghibli and the fuel gauge level I can't figure out.
Is this a known issue?
It showed little over 1/2 tank, dropped to 1/4 (68 miles left) then dropped to 40 miles left. All within 20 minutes of total driving. Then bounced back to 60 miles left. All on level surfaces.
Then I went to fill it up, as it said 1/4 tank. I put in 10 gallons and the pump stopped. The gauge reads 3/4 tank.
???????
I don't know what octane level was in it before, but it now has 93.

What could cause this? Do these have bad sending units, or could it be software related.

Thanx in advance. I'm a newbie :)

·
Registered
542 Posts
octane wouldn't be any part of your issue.
it is possible the level sender is going out, as well as the pump itself not transferring from side to side of the saddle tank. the pump is on the driver side, level sender on the passenger side. the pump has a venturi and crossover pipe to the other saddle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the next morning I started the car and it read full. Go figure. Is there a reason it didn't register till the next day.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this common with these cars? And how hard is it to change out? I've done this with others cars but older of course. I've never seen one go out on a newer car this early. Thanx.

·
Registered
542 Posts
common? no.
have seen it? yes.
difficult? no. it is installed with a ring like a fuel pump is, in an assembly that looks like a fuel pump basket.

as i said, its usually been an issue of showing higher fuel level due to the transfer mechanism not working right in moving fuel from the RH side where the sender is to the LH side where the pump is.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My car is getting some paint work done this week.
Once I get it back I'll see what the pattern is.

So far, it showed 3/4 when the pump stopped and the next day it showed full.
it seems to show less than it has for some reason. But I should know more next week. Thanx.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Go the car back, still going crazy. I was sitting level and watched it go from 3/4 to 1/4 and back up to 1/2.
- does the gas cap area have anything that covers that entry port? Mine is just the flap that goes down when you put in to the pump. No gas cap or anything else.

·
GhibliForum.com Vendor
322 Posts
It's almost certainly what sc00bk mentioned : Fuel Sending Unit or a problem with the fuel pump / basket. It shouldn't be related to the filler or gas cap.

Take it in and have it looked at, should be an easy fix.

Best of luck with the repair

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Car still at dealer. I've learned there are 2 lower fuel pumps and one upper on engine pump. One of the lower has the sender. They believe that is the issue.
I can't find a shop manual. I've registered on the maserati site but have heard you must be a company and pay. I'd really like to work on it myself. I thought that since it was Chrysler owned there'd be a manual easily obtainable.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, got my car back after a month. Had both fuel pumps replaced just to be sure. Apparently one side has the sender and it was replaced with the pump. I now have accurate gas readings. Ouch it was $1236.00 for the work at the dealer.
And they told me it was done back in 2015. So now i'm worried why it failed again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts