Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone… just out of curiosity, for anyone with a Ghibli that has the front led headlight system, do your headlights adjust their beams to bend around corners, and adjust themselves when when you start the car each time (headlights do a little dance; down up left right).

I have the full led headlights and have the “adaptive front light” option enabled in the infotainment settings menu yet my headlights do not do anything. No adjustments whatsoever outside of auto high/low

Checking my cars service history, it shows both headlights were replaced. Could they have not properly been programmed when this was done?

I only ask as right now my Ghibli is at the dealer and I was provided with a quattroporte loaner that also has the full led headlights. These lights are MUCH better than mine… much brighter and have a much better beam cutoff, along with illuminating and bending the beam pattern around curves as the steering wheel is turned. They also perform their self-adjustment sequence when the vehicle is started.

Just so I am being clear, I am not referring to the static corner illumination which lights up a completely separate led bulb when the wheel is turned pretty significantly in either direction, which my car DOES do and which this loaner also does, but am referring to the main beam physically angling itself left or right within the housing as you drive through a turn.

I would be pretty surprised if the Ghibli headlight was this significantly different compared to the quattroporte headlight as their clusters and tech are provided and manufactured by the same company… even more surprised as the same setting which turns this feature on and off in my loaner exists yet does nothing in my Ghibli.

I’d like some feedback before I mention this to the dealer and either get the issue shrugged off or them just saying the Ghibli doesn’t have this feature just so they don’t have to look into it, as they have done with issues I’ve had in the past.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Mjewett - LED headlights in mine do an adjustment down UP when I start the car, nothing else no left-right etc while driving I don't see the lights moving left or right like in my other cars, which is very visible - Again I will check that but so far I don't reckon to have seen it

here the LED Matrix lights of the QP
Full-LED Adaptive Headlights with anti-glare high-beam assist
The Quattroporte is fitted with Full-LED Adaptive headlights that even further sharpen the striking Maserati look, significantly improve visibility and lower energy usage. They also offer remarkably long bulb life.
With 15 LEDs operating at full beam, these headlights offer a 200% greater field of vision than traditional halogen lights. Road illumination extends by 55 metres and bulb longevity is roughly twice as long.

What’s more, glare-free technology enables drivers to gain the full benefits of their headlights without affecting oncoming vehicles. This uses a digital camera behind the rear-view mirror to detect approaching vehicles.
The headlights also feature the Adaptive Driving Beam. This automatically adjusts the width and depth of the headlight beams, giving maximum lighting effectiveness and optimal safety. This is made possible by a camera mounted in the rear-view mirror and sensors that monitor several different parameters, including the steering wheel position, the car’s speed and the way it is being driven.

and here for the Ghibli

Full-LED Adaptive Matrix Headlights with anti-glare high-beam assist
The GranLusso and GranSport are fitted with Full-LED Adaptive Matrix headlights that further sharpen the Maserat's striking appearance, significantly improve visibility and lower energy usage. They also offer remarkably long bulb life.
With 15 LEDs operating at full beam, these headlights offer a 200% greater field of vision than traditional halogen lights. Road illumination extends by 55 metres and bulb longevity is roughly twice as long.
Its glare-free technology enables drivers to gain the full benefits of their headlights without affecting oncoming vehicles. This uses a digital camera behind the rear-view mirror to detect approaching vehicles.
It then directs the light away from the other vehicles, leaving them untroubled by glare. The surrounding areas, meanwhile, are safely and effectively lit with near-daylight illumination.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mjewett - LED headlights in mine do an adjustment down UP when I start the car, nothing else no left-right etc while driving I don't see the lights moving left or right like in my other cars, which is very visible - Again I will check that but so far I don't reckon to have seen it

here the LED Matrix lights of the QP
Full-LED Adaptive Headlights with anti-glare high-beam assist
The Quattroporte is fitted with Full-LED Adaptive headlights that even further sharpen the striking Maserati look, significantly improve visibility and lower energy usage. They also offer remarkably long bulb life.

What’s more, glare-free technology enables drivers to gain the full benefits of their headlights without affecting oncoming vehicles. This uses a digital camera behind the rear-view mirror to detect approaching vehicles.
The headlights also feature the Adaptive Driving Beam. This automatically adjusts the width and depth of the headlight beams, giving maximum lighting effectiveness and optimal safety. This is made possible by a camera mounted in the rear-view mirror and sensors that monitor several different parameters, including the steering wheel position, the car’s speed and the way it is being driven.

and here for the Ghibli

Full-LED Adaptive Matrix Headlights with anti-glare high-beam assist
The GranLusso and GranSport are fitted with Full-LED Adaptive Matrix headlights that further sharpen the Maserat's striking appearance, significantly improve visibility and lower energy usage. They also offer remarkably long bulb life.
Its glare-free technology enables drivers to gain the full benefits of their headlights without affecting oncoming vehicles. This uses a digital camera behind the rear-view mirror to detect approaching vehicles.
It then directs the light away from the other vehicles, leaving them untroubled by glare. The surrounding areas, meanwhile, are safely and effectively lit with near-daylight illumination.
Thanks! Yeah, my Ghibli doesn’t even perform any self-adjustment at startup. No up or down action whatsoever. It seems nothing adjusts at all. My owners manual mentions the adaptive features but I know everything in that needs to be taken with a grain of salt.
At the very least, I now know my lights at minimum should be performing the startup adjustment which they do not, leading me to believe somethings not quite right with them.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Well I tried mines a few time go today and I can even make a small movie, in case you need to show them at the garage, it moves down and up centered, 100%
if yours doesn't and you have LED and lights have been replaced, then they did not do a full setup in the lights ECU

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I tried mines a few time go today and I can even make a small movie, in case you need to show them at the garage, it moves down and up centered, 100%
if yours doesn't and you have LED and lights have been replaced, then they did not do a full setup in the lights ECU
That would be SUPER helpful and I would greatly appreciate that! Then I can show them the video when they claim no such thing exists...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did it quick
Just a litle thing..you need to start the engine to see it

Hope it helps

Awesome! Thanks for doing this! This will definitely be of use when I talk to the dealer about it. My car does NOT do this, though I had a strong feeling it was supposed to, and the Quattroporte loaner I have operates exactly the same as your video so I don't think they can deny that something is wrong.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks GF.

I just went out to the garage with my wife and we started our 2019 Ghibli S with LED Matrix headlights and they do not move up and down as yours do in the video. I watched as she started the car. My car had like 5 miles on it when I bought it and has less that 2K on it now...fresh from the factory as can be.

Is there a setting somewhere that does that? Is your car perhaps not originally sold in the US?

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Hi Svelte I Live in Luxembourg europe
In my garage as there is not soo much light as soon as I go in the car as soon as I touch the door the lights goes ON
I seat in ..start the engine ( as said the lights are ON already automatically) and when the engine starts the lights do that cycle .. going down and up

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
I went to my car and took some pictures of what is on the info system - I live in Europe so my car is a European car
I will try to explain how is in my car and you can see if it is the same in yours where you live. ( US etc)

1st the light button, this is in mine, nothing complicated very simple, I have it always in AUTO and I never touch it, absolutely never, no need actually
Automotive lighting Vehicle Gauge Personal luxury car Speedometer

Here below the lever in normal position, it is Normal headlights - NO MATRIX, if you pull the lever to the front ( to HIGH BEAM position) the MATRIX function will be ON, you can leave it in that position at all times , the MATRIX system will take care and adjust all automatically. No need to touch it
when you pull the lever to the front ( highbeam position) and the matrix is ON you will have a green sign with A in a light symbol up in the right corner MATRIX IS ON

Speedometer Vehicle Odometer Car Tachometer

if now I change the light button to the symbol LIGHT and not AUTO anymore as in this picture below
In this position, you deactivate the Matrix System, the lights will be used as normal lights
Car Steering part Personal luxury car Automotive design Steering wheel

the Green A in the Light symbol disappears and you get a HIGH Beam blue symbol instead of as here below
and a message saying ( sorry is in french). in a few words it says - Automatic High Beam Deactivated, if I put back the light button to AUTO, it switches to Matrix with also a message saying
Automatic high beam activated and you don't see anymore that blue symbol ( in Matrix mode)
Speedometer Gauge Trip computer Automotive design Personal luxury car

In my infosystem this is what I have related to Front headlights ( PHARES in french) I choose PHARES ( means headlight)
Communication Device Gadget Font Audio equipment Multimedia

and this comes up with 2 functions if you have the LED MATRIX
Font Computer Display device Screenshot Gadget

The important functions are Assis. Auto Phares. ( Assist Auto Headlights) and Phare Avant Adaptif which is the Adaptive Driving Beam
If you have the car with the engine running and lights ON on mode Matrix ( Green A in light symbol) if you deactivate the function Assist.auto.Phares, you will see that the Matrix goes OFF or ON and the lights in the front will go from normal to HighBeam which is normal knowing you have the lever in Highbeam position

Hope this help a bit

·
Registered
34 Posts
i have a 2017 Ghibli with HID Adaptive Headlights and mine does the headlight cycle up and down. It also bends left or right when I’m turning or coming around a bend.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I still have not been able to get my 2019 Ghibli S with Adaptive Full LED headlights to do the up/down cycle!

Here is what my light switch looks like:
Car Steering part Motor vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car

Not much difference than yours except for the "O" (off) option.

Here are the options on my menu:
Gadget Font Communication Device Display device Technology

If I push the left stalk forward, all I get is the blue high beam symbol with the settings above. If I put a check mark in Auto High Beam Assist in the menu above and THEN put the left stalf forward I get a green A inside a light symbol. If I then start the car, the up/down headlight cycle does not occur.

What am I doing wrong?

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
It is clearly designed for US ...I don't have some of the settings like daytime running lights option on off
And the button of the lights there is no zero as you described

I am sure you have tried already all options in the menu all ON
If you are in the dark and get to the car as soon as you touch a door handle the lights should come up
Then in the car .. light button on AUTO ...all options of the lights in the menu ON and if possible try to have a wall or something in front of the car ..then leave the left stalk in forward position ...and start the engine
Watching the wall in front of the car you should see clearly the lights going down and up
If not ...there is a last thing to do ...go with a crew driver and adjust the lights a bit up ...before starting . Make a mark in order to know where are they adjust and count the turns . Like 2 or 3 turns .in both lights
Then close everything.. go out of the car and wait a few minutes .. then go back and start the car.. watch if it moves.. if not . Put back the lights adjustment where it was ...
In such case I believe all that systems are deactivated
I reckon you said both lights have been replaced? Did the garage program the ECU ?
Every component in the car has as a ID code in order to tell the ECU who is what and what function can or not do ..maybe the ECU recognised the headlights but not the functions that such headlights can provide.. it is just a thought

·
Registered
179 Posts
Geoffrey, This weekend at night I put all settings on, walked away from the car, came back a few minutes later and had my wife watch the headlights as I started the car. They did not move unfortunately. This car was bought new from the Maserati dealer in San Diego, California. As for the photo of the headlight, I'm attaching 3 since I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for...hopefully one is what you want.

Automotive parking light Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Window

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive side marker light Automotive lighting Hood

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Grille Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Thank you for the pictures ..I was looking to the square of the light that is suppose to move and looks exactly like in mine so it should move ...it is not fixed or different
Have you try to get maserati update in the ECU maybe to europeen specs I thing some states in US have it

·
Registered
4 Posts
@Mjewett @svelte as far as I remember in US automatic vertical headlight adjustment is not mandatory. You can check if you have height sensors on suspension installed - look on right side front and rear suspension. Sensor looks like this:
Usb cable Data transfer cable Gadget Cable Rectangle

As for left/right movement during driving if it's not working - ask dealer to perform headlight calibration. This should fix it.

@Geoffrey Fake in EU DRLs are mandatory that's why we don't have menu to disable it infotainment and no "0" on light switch.
BTW, what does adjuster next to dimmer on light switch do - the one on right.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Unfortunately I still haven’t gotten my car back, but have also not received any answer or updates on the headlight question.
Yes, both of the headlights were replaced at one point so I’m hoping there is an update or programming step that was missed.
I also can’t check if I have the height adjustment module on the suspension, as I still have the loaner.
In the meantime, I’ll be enjoying this great Quattroporte loaner, with the LED headlights that just so happen to operate properly and are extremely bright compared to my Ghibli’s. Still cannot fathom a decision outside of simple cost cutting if the Ghibli’s headlights truly had these features of any adaption completely deactivated. Especially since these are supposed to be the “upgrade” compared to the xenon option.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts