Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in the last week, when i hit the accelerator, the gas pedal gets stuck !
no joke i was going around 40mph and just wanted to pass someone on the hiway and when i floored it, it got completely stuck and i must have been going 90mph in an instant, while jamming the brakes and trying to go in neutral it still stayed stuck i had to literally put my foot around the side of the pedal and lift it up... very scary
has it happened to anyone else ??
i could have easily rear ended someone or just crashed...

last time anything like this happened to me was in my mitsubishi 3000gt

·
Registered
863 Posts
Nopes... Nothing yet... Better get it checked with the dealer

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
took it to the dealer, ill let you guys know what they say, just be prepared if it does happen to you guys not to panic and use your foot to lift the pedal.. it didnt happen when i accelerated gradually, only when i floored it...

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Please keep us posted. This is pretty scary!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Originally Posted by superdanin the last week, when i hit the accelerator, the gas pedal gets stuck !
no joke i was going around 40mph and just wanted to pass someone on the hiway and when i floored it, it got completely stuck and i must have been going 90mph in an instant, while jamming the brakes and trying to go in neutral it still stayed stuck i had to literally put my foot around the side of the pedal and lift it up... very scary
has it happened to anyone else ??
i could have easily rear ended someone or just crashed...

last time anything like this happened to me was in my mitsubishi 3000gt
Hi superdan,

I would advise you to take your vehicle to your local authorized dealer as soon as possible to investigate this further.

Warm regards,

Howie - MaseratiCares

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok looks like they figured out what the problem was, they said it was because i have double floor mats.
i didn't think this was the problem because ive had the car for months and had 2 mats the entire time and didnt have the problem, but recently this started happening.
either way , i took out the mat and now it seems fine.
hope no else uses 2 mats :)

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Wow okay good to hear that this isn't a failure in the gas pedal itself. Got me freaked out driving into Manhattan this morning thinking "Should I floor it? Nah, don't want it to get stuck like that guy from the forum!" haha.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had a problem with floor mats in my first car. Just drove it off the dealership and was heading back on the motorway. The power just dropped away no matter how much I pressed the accelerator down. Turned out, my clutch pedal had caught under the carpet when I changed gear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The same thing happened to me today. I double itcould have been my floor mat. I was driving and pushed on the accelarstor to gain speed and suddenly it was not only stuck but it started accelerating more and more. I was in panic and moments from a major crash. I was lucky to be in the car with someone who was able to suggest putting the car in nutral. Once I did that the acelarstion did not stop, the breaks did nothing to help! The only good thing was that in nutral the car wasn't increasing speed anymore. I tapped hard on the gas pedal a few times and finally it released. If I was alone I would have just panicked and ended up badly crashing as the car was gaining speed very fast.

·
Registered
863 Posts
So why do you guys put in double mats? Its a known hazard, also you can use all weather mats if desirable. Also if it is absolutely necessary to have to mats buy it from companies like Weathertech with their correct measurements to nothing gets stuck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i guess theres no reason to have double mats, but it was never an issue on 5 previous bmw's and 1 lexus..
took out the extra mats and its been good.
the only reason i put my mats over the original is to keep the original in better shape, but i guess i should have just taken out the original and put in my own then put back the original when i got rid of the car...

·
Registered
3 Posts
This happened to me on the NY State Thurway about two weeks ago. I was in the middle lane behind a truck and accelerated and moved into the left lane, and the pedal got stuck. I stayed stuck for about 8-10 seconds as I tried to break, and then I kept pressing the gas pedal and it finally released. Because I was on an interstate I couldn't look down at the moment to see if the mat somehow interfered with the pedal, but when I got home the mat was
secured properly and was in its normal place.
Very scary for a few seconds, but I hope nobody gets hurt and that this was just a fluke.

·
Registered
863 Posts
heart jumped in mouth kinda of a situation. be safe man, if it was not the mat, then you should get it checked.

This happened to me on the NY State Thurway about two weeks ago. I was in the middle lane behind a truck and accelerated and moved into the left lane, and the pedal got stuck. I stayed stuck for about 8-10 seconds as I tried to break, and then I kept pressing the gas pedal and it finally released. Because I was on an interstate I couldn't look down at the moment to see if the mat somehow interfered with the pedal, but when I got home the mat was
Very scary for a few seconds, but I hope nobody gets hurt and that this was just a fluke.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Were you able to find what caused the acceleration

Did you ever take your car to have it checked out? What caused the acceleration?​

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
its not like people know about having 2 mats as being the problem and the other guys dont have 2 mats and it got stuck..
2 mats or not, ive had 2 mats on my other cars and it never got stuck, bottom line is everyone should be careful and if there ever is a problem, at least this forum will have advice and a history through this thread ...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for the advice Superdan. I've always used two floor mats and still do today on my BMW. I just haven't found an all weather floor mat for the Maserati yet to place on top of the regular cheap looking mats. I guess i will reconsider.

Reactions: superdan
1 - 20 of 50 Posts