Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I've noticed a fuel vapor smell when parking my car in the garage. The fumes seem to be coming from the area of the passenger rear tire. Car has about 800 miles on it.

It happens under the following scenario: Sport mode on. I have to go through a few 15 MPH school zones for a mile or so. Last leg home is 45 MPH 1 - 2 miles.

There is no drips under the car that I can see. Car has 3/4 tank of gas but it happened at fill up a few days ago under the exact driving conditions. Haven't really been monitoring fuel consumption (its a Maserati..!!!:D)

Now, I've owned several motorcycles that made the garage smell like gas after riding and this being my first Italian engine... But, this doesn't seem normal.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It wasn't your imagination... your car is leaking gas. Check online... they are known to leak gas. But it looks sexy and you love it no matter what. LOL:D
What's your point? You act like I care... I dont date models for the conversation and I dont choose cars for their reliability.

Go iron your Dockers window-shopper

·
Registered
22 Posts
you know what I thought I've been smelling that too but I've been in denial, plus in a weird way I kinda like the smell of gas fumes... lol.... now that I am hearing from others suddenly its very real.... I park in a condo garage and travel up about 6 floors by the time I park my car I smell it pretty strongly..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got the car back yesterday from the dealer for this fix. There seems to be a charcoal canister that got saturated with fuel (part of the emission system) and it needed to be replaced. The complete fuel system was checked for leaks and there weren't any.

Parts used:

670003286 CPL FUEL VAPOUR FILTER (USA)
670002246 DIAGNOSTICS PUMP

Reactions: flamingwicky

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hopes this helps anyone else with the same issues... Educate your Service Writers..!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did replacing the charcoal cannister solve the problem and has it occurred since?

I just had the same gas smell and the car is at the dealership right now.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just got the car back yesterday from the dealer for this fix. There seems to be a charcoal canister that got saturated with fuel (part of the emission system) and it needed to be replaced. The complete fuel system was checked for leaks and there weren't any.

Parts used:

670003286 CPL FUEL VAPOUR FILTER (USA)
670002246 DIAGNOSTICS PUMP
I have heard of this happen on other cars as well, happens when car is filled up and then " topped off " a little too much. Fuel back flows into charcoal canister.

Not saying that's what happened with yours, but it is a potential cause.

S

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have heard of this happen on other cars as well, happens when car is filled up and then " topped off " a little too much. Fuel back flows into charcoal canister.

Not saying that's what happened with yours, but it is a potential cause.

S
You are absolutely correct. Apparently, the Ghibli's fuel tank was not meant to be topped off. As soon as the nozzle clicks off, wait 10 seconds and pull the nozzle out and that's it.

I did have the same problem again. This time the dealership weighed the charcoal canister and it weighed way over spec. Saturated with fuel. I am a "chronic fuel-topper". ;) They replaced it and informed not to top off the fuel. So far so good. No fuel smell. One click and that's it..!

Reactions: flamingwicky

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm a guilty fuel topper, but it's only because one of my old cars, a Honda of all things, had the habit of prematurely triggering the fuel pump to stop. I would slightly change the position of the handle and get another 2 gallons in there.

I haven't done it with the Ghibli, however. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
OK, so I cannot find it anywhere and I will ask here. Last week my son almost ran out of gas, so I had to go to a gas station, bought one of those 2+ gal plastic containers and filled up with gas. I guess the spout on this can was not thin or long enough, so gas was going into the tank but some was flowing in using a small hole under the gas inlet (had no clue that it existed). So now based on this post I am worried that part of the gas went into this container where it shouldn't.

Could someone tell me where this tiny hole leads to?

Thanks.

Peter

·
Registered
21 Posts
OK, so I cannot find it anywhere and I will ask here. Last week my son almost ran out of gas, so I had to go to a gas station, bought one of those 2+ gal plastic containers and filled up with gas. I guess the spout on this can was not thin or long enough, so gas was going into the tank but some was flowing in using a small hole under the gas inlet (had no clue that it existed). So now based on this post I am worried that part of the gas went into this container where it shouldn't.

Could someone tell me where this tiny hole leads to?

Thanks.

Peter
Leads to a drain tube. Tube leads out somewhere behind the rear driver wheel. It'll just end up on the ground.

·
Registered
644 Posts
yup drain tube drains to the ground, in front and in board of the left rear wheel.
in the trunk accessory road side kit, there should be a small clear funnel. it is used for the fuel filler flap when using a gas can with an incompatible donkey dick.

·
Administrator
2,389 Posts
in the trunk accessory road side kit, there should be a small clear funnel. it is used for the fuel filler flap when using a gas can with an incompatible donkey dick.
I guess you learn something everyday!!! I went out and bought one years ago to add fuel system cleaner a couple times a year ... I never looked in or opened the accessory roadside kit in trunk. I know kit is in there since during new vehicle delivery they pointed out trunk storage compartment.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts