Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how many miles you get on it before things start to break and what usually goes first? Everything I’ve seen for for sale is sub 50k.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What are you looking for and where are you located? Location seems to play a big part on the price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are you looking for and where are you located? Location seems to play a big part on the price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got a used 2014 with 35k miles on, and I just was doing general searches, but didn’t see anything with any serious milage on it. Guess the thing I didnt take into account that it is a relatively newer car and most people don’t use them as dailies so I prolly wouldn’t see much milage on most of them now that I think about it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Personally, I would never drive a German or Italian car out of warranty. Something goes on that 2014 and you are looking at big bucks. It's hard to find indies to work on them because they are kind of rare on the road, so you are looking at dealer pricing. Just my $0.02. I get that the pricing or market value is very attractive, but there is a reason, which is cost of maintenance and troubleshooting. Do as much homework on the car as you can. Try to find the original owner. Get a PPI from a dealer and ask them to pull the service records. For reference, an oil change will cost you $400. A spark plug oil change service is over a grand.

·
Registered
447 Posts
A Ferrari/Maserati mechanic that has a shop 5 minutes away from my house charges me $290 for oil and filter change.
Exactly. So it’s $100 bucks less than the dealer, but it’s still $300 bucks for an oil change! I’ll go to the dealer, get my ass kissed, get a loaner and a wash for an extra $100.

·
Registered
644 Posts
as you said, higher mileage examples are few and far between,
i'll say though, i have 2 cars at over 100k and several in the 60k to 80k range. seems like luck of the draw for durability/longevity though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
as you said, higher mileage examples are few and far between,
i'll say though, i have 2 cars at over 100k and several in the 60k to 80k range. seems like luck of the draw for durability/longevity though.
Are you saying you have Maserati's with that many miles on them? If so, which Maserati's?

·
Registered
644 Posts
i'm saying i'm a technician and i have customer cars in and out.
30 to 60k miles is the norm i'm seeing right now for 14-18MY, with a few in the 80-100k range. no shortage of 1-20k cars in that range.
as far as differences.... for the intents and purposes of this conversation, ghibli QP and levante are the same cars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2014 Ghibli SQ4 with 71,800 miles on it. Bought in late March of this year (2020) & it had 61,361 mi. on it. other than having an oil service from the local dealership(Scottsdale Ferrari/Maserati) I've had no real problems with it yet. I'll be taking it back to the dealer next week to have the serpentine & alternator belt replaced(recommended). does anyone have a Ghibli with more miles?
And yes: I drive it all the time; In fact, the car sat for 2 months(65 days!) getting a vinyl wrap, ceramic coating & re-furbishing the wheels & other parts, Which means I put 10,000 miles on this car in FOUR MONTHS & runs like a champ. Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Who's paying a dealer to do oil changes and belt swaps? I can see maybe if it's still in warranty, but the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prevents manufacturers from denying warranty claims when individuals perform their own services, as long as the proper parts are utilized. These things can be done by anyone with basic tools and half a brain.You can buy the oil change supplies and the scan tool needed to reset the dash light for less than what the dealer charges for the service.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Who's paying a dealer to do oil changes and belt swaps? I can see maybe if it's still in warranty, but the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prevents manufacturers from denying warranty claims when individuals perform their own services, as long as the proper parts are utilized. These things can be done by anyone with basic tools and half a brain.You can buy the oil change supplies and the scan tool needed to reset the dash light for less than what the dealer charges for the service.
Well, my place has no place to do the work myself; no carport, no concrete pad. that & the fact my yard is a sand pit & the added bonus of living in Arizona( 115 Degrees+outside) doesn't help.
I see what you mean though, & eventually ill get to doing the oil & brakes myself but finding a place can be difficult. Also, when I went to get a quote from a local place( I live 200 mi. from dealership) that said they could do it, they wanted to charge me DOUBLE what Maserati charged me($643).

·
Administrator
2,248 Posts
Well, my place has no place to do the work myself; no carport, no concrete pad. that & the fact my yard is a sand pit & the added bonus of living in Arizona( 115 Degrees+outside) doesn't help.
I see what you mean though, & eventually ill get to doing the oil & brakes myself but finding a place can be difficult. Also, when I went to get a quote from a local place( I live 200 mi. from dealership) that said they could do it, they wanted to charge me DOUBLE what Maserati charged me($643).
That's robbery for an independent mechanic price if your only changing the oil/filter. You should check around, or if possible make a day trip out of visiting Maserati dealer ... use their loaner while car is in being serviced. Even though I have a newer dealer within 20 miles, I still go to my original servicing dealer at 100 miles which is bundled with other activities in area. That's only half your distance, but just a thought if there was a benefit for the thorough inspection done by Maserati service. I've even had my dealer pick/drop off at the house as an added service.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's robbery for an independent mechanic price if your only changing the oil/filter. You should check around, or if possible make a day trip out of visiting Maserati dealer ... use their loaner while car is in being serviced. Even though I have a newer dealer within 20 miles, I still go to my original servicing dealer at 100 miles which is bundled with other activities in area. That's only half your distance, but just a thought if there was a benefit for the thorough inspection done by Maserati service. I've even had my dealer pick/drop off at the house as an added service.
I'm sorry, the price was for the serpentine/alternator belt to be replaced. I had the oil changed after buying & maserati
charged me $504 for that but also did a general check/test of the car overall for me. & yes, they gave me a loaner. For the first time they gave me a 2019 ghibli SQ4 to drive for the day; this last time It took 2 days & I asked for something that would not keep me up worrying about overnight & they got me a Camry. Thank you for your response.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm sorry, the price was for the serpentine/alternator belt to be replaced. I had the oil changed after buying & maserati
charged me $504 for that but also did a general check/test of the car overall for me. & yes, they gave me a loaner. For the first time they gave me a 2019 ghibli SQ4 to drive for the day; this last time It took 2 days & I asked for something that would not keep me up worrying about overnight & they got me a Camry. Thank you for your response.
Where you at in AZ? I'm in Chandler and also have an '14 SQ4 that I bought new from the same Scottsdale dealer.

What color did you wrap your car in?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Where you at in AZ? I'm in Chandler and also have an '14 SQ4 that I bought new from the same Scottsdale dealer.

What color did you wrap your car in?
I bought my Ghibli in CA., but the cars previous owner had been taking it to Scottsdale Ferrari/Maserati, so I figured they would be the best to work on it since they already were familiar with it. When I did take it in, they remembered the car after checking the VIN. I live in Parker, AZ. on the Colorado River Indian Reservation...Not many Maserati's around here.. lol. But a LOT of BMW's...& I wrapped My car in whats called roaring thunder; its a color-changing wrap; it goes from purple to a rust color in the sun. I get a lot of complements on it. Thanks for asking!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Looks nice. Congrats and enjoy her!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts