Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have a 2019 Ghibli with 12,000 and had engine failure. I had the oil changed my a non dealer mechanic who used Mobile One 5w-40. The dealer claims it’s my fault since it’s the incorrect oil, I’m not seeing anywhere online where the oil I used is not recommende. It’s been 6 weeks now and they want me to pay a deductible of $1,000 plus I have already paid 2 lease payments. Anyone can help or help me prove that this oil is ok to use.

·
Registered
612 Posts
i don't know of a dealer that would charge a deductible. that isn't a thing.
any V6 from 2018 and up uses 10w60 Pennzoil Platinum Racing.
i think you messed up.
2017 and earlier v6's as well as the 3.8 v8 for all years use 5w40, recommended pennzoil platinum euro.
your owners manual documents oil grades clearly.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I know that this is not what you want to hear but I think that you didn’t put the right oil in your car. I would certainly pay the dealer premium for oil changes on a brand new $100,000 car. I would probably reluctantly go along with the $1000 as, if the claim is denied, add a zero to that number, then multiply by 3.

·
Registered
612 Posts
the little bit closer equation would be add a 0, multiply by ~3.9..... using new parts and retail labor.

edit: engine prices have come down a bit apparently. can get it all done for a good bit under 30k :)

·
Registered
651 Posts
Unfortunately you used the wrong oil. Here's the relevant user's manual page where the oil grade is mentioned:-

·
Registered
62 Posts
On a sidenote, what changed with the engine resulting in the change in recommended oil viscosity? Should we all be changing over to it?

·
Registered
612 Posts
i'm waiting on more answers, but i've been told that it comes down to protection.

my speculation is the heavier oil might help with oil consumption/pcv consumption.

mechanically, i'd think there are differences as the oils are definitely on different ends of the spectrum: maple syrup vs molasses. the engine part numbers, for ghibli 17 vs 18 is different.

·
Registered
651 Posts
On a sidenote, what changed with the engine resulting in the change in recommended oil viscosity? Should we all be changing over to it?
Definitely not! There is a case for using thicker oil in older engines that show high wear, but this is not the case. Stick with the recommended oil grade, changing to a thicker oil later in the life of an engine, is something that works with very engines with wider tolerances and low hp/l.

Besides, oil pumps have proven to be one of the few problematic things in the new Maserati engines.

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
20 Posts
It's not just the engine that deals with the thicker oil. Turbos are cooled by engine oil and if it is too thick, they will not be properly lubed (especially in cold weather start up) and could fail. I always used Mobil-1 0W-40 in my Audi A6 2.7T and sold it with 236k and original turbos. I will use the spec oil in my Maserati.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, I have a 2019 Ghibli with 12,000 and had engine failure. I had the oil changed my a non dealer mechanic who used Mobile One 5w-40. The dealer claims it’s my fault since it’s the incorrect oil, I’m not seeing anywhere online where the oil I used is not recommende. It’s been 6 weeks now and they want me to pay a deductible of $1,000 plus I have already paid 2 lease payments. Anyone can help or help me prove that this oil is ok to use.
[/QUOTE
Are you for sure that its the oil. I have a 2016 Ghibli and my engine blew. My mechanic told me its due to a faulty timing chain on the engine. Apparently the Ghibli's are having a lot of issues with this and they have not done a recall on it as of yet.

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
20 Posts
From the 2018 owner's manual...
Recommended oil: PENNZOIL Platinum Racing 10W-60.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts