Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m now going on week 3 with my Ghibli, which is a recent build (build date 5/14). I thought it’d be worthwhile for others to hear about my experience with a later Ghibli, presumably after many of the initial problems were resolved. To make a long story short, I have had no significant issues at all with the car. As far as I can tell everything is working as expected, and none of the issues reported by others are apparent in my car (SAT antenna, A/C, paint defects, windows not raising, etc.). I have the B&W system, so have not had the premium sound issues others have reported.

I am coming off a 2008 BMW 550i, which I was very happy with. Compared with the BMW, here’s how I’d rate the Ghibli:

- Overall experience: Ghibli. As has been pointed out on another thread, this is an emotional decision, and the car is delivering on my expectations. I am finding it much more fun to drive than the BMW, and appreciate the overall attention to the more sensual issues in the car that you just don’t get with a German car.

- Build quality: tie. The BMW was also flawless 2 weeks in.

- Seats: Ghibli, by a mile. The seats are important to me; on trips of an hour or more, I would get excruciating backaches in the BMW, no matter how I adjusted the seats. Lower back support with the Ghibli seats is much better than with the BMW, and I have made a couple of long trips already with no back ache at all. The ventilation on the Ghibli seats is also much better than it was on the 550.

- Interior overall: Ghibli. Everything about the interior that I care about – the look, the feel, the smell, the ease of use, is better with the Ghibli. I don’t care that the switches are the same as Chrysler’s; they work perfectly well, arguably in some cases better than the BMWs (e.g. the turn signal, which on the BMW has an annoying habit of turning itself off after 3 flashes, regardless of how you configure it with iDrive).

- iDrive vs. UConnect: UConnect wins by a landslide. I hated everything about the iDrive, especially the control via wheel. The touchscreen on UConnect is much easier to use, and much less of a distraction. It is hard to compare on functionality because the Ghibli has a 7 year lead on the BMW, but with respect to ease of use I think the comparison is fair and I’d take the Ghibli in a second.

- Engine/acceleration: tie. The BMW did not have the slight lag that others have noticed with the Ghibli, but it also did not have the same fun factor that you get with the Ghibli exhaust note and tuning.

I’m mostly writing this for the benefit of people who may be considering a Ghibli but who are put off by the build issues others have noted. Back in the 80s I had an Alfa Romeo 164L, which I bought about 6 months after it became available, as I did with the Ghibli. There is no comparison in the build quality between the two cars; with the Alfa I had a list of 20 issues within a week or so of delivery, and have none with the Ghibli. I’ve had 2 BMWs in the interim, and so far at least, would say the build quality for the Ghibli is far closer to the BMWs than to the Alfa.

If anyone has questions, please don’t hesitate to post here or message me…

·
Registered
112 Posts
That's really helpful seeing the comparison/move from
BMW to ghibli.
I have a 2007 330i Msport and considering the base petrol ghibli. Cleared up some concerns.

Do you have skyhook? And if so, do you think it's worth the premium?

I.e. is the step up from the BMW to the ghibli sufficient or does the skyhook play a big part in that jump/enjoyability factor?

I tried skyhook and non- skyhook models and found the skyhook
Was still jumpy on the ride (in normal mode). But what I did like
Was the car was flat through corners), but not sure if the difference was that big, hence the question before ordering.

Hope you enjoy your cars!

·
Registered
106 Posts
If any help....
I came from a Jag XF which is a relatively soft ride.
The ghibli I drove as a test car did not have the skyhook & I thought the ride was much firmer.
Not wishing to loose too much of the soft ride, I went for the sky hook without actually trying it & am pleased to say, I know I made the right decision.
Much more comfortable on a normal run, with the option to firm up if required.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have skyhook? And if so, do you think it's worth the premium?

I.e. is the step up from the BMW to the ghibli sufficient or does the skyhook play a big part in that jump/enjoyability factor?
I have the base suspension; I tried both it and the sport suspension before buying, and liked the base better. The handling is considerably better than my 550i on back roads and curves, and very similar on the highway. I felt like I didn't need a stiffer suspension; the trade off in general ride was not worth what for me was a pretty marginal difference in handling. Others who are better trained drivers may disagree, but that was my take on it.

I didn't try Skyhook, since I was happy with the base suspension. It is also work (admittedly not much) to switch the suspension back and forth between modes; there are already a lot of handling options with this car (regular, sport, sport manual, ICE, etc.) and I didn't want to add another unless I felt like I needed it.

It was not so much an issue of cost for me; I have every option offered except for the sport pack, Skyhook, and painted brake calipers. So the car was pretty well loaded, and I would have added Skyhook if I thought it was valuable.

·
Registered
852 Posts
If any help....
I came from a Jag XF which is a relatively soft ride.
The ghibli I drove as a test car did not have the skyhook & I thought the ride was much firmer.
Not wishing to loose too much of the soft ride, I went for the sky hook without actually trying it & am pleased to say, I know I made the right decision.
Much more comfortable on a normal run, with the option to firm up if required.
Have to agree that I to am pleased with Skyhook...........also I change modes by feel including skyhook which I firm up only on the twistys!! worth every penny!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks for the comparison. I'm coming form a 2012 BMW X6 50i. I haven't pulled the trigger quite yet on the Ghibli but your review helps. I do have the UConnect in a New 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I do like the 2012 iDrive better. Certainly not a deal breaker though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts