Votes: 13 17.6%
  • Maserati Quattroporte S Q4

Votes: 1 1.4%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm putting together some cars that most of Ghibli owners believe are the direct competitors. I want to hear which one you think is the most comparable to Ghibli.
The cars are chosen based on the price, HP, and size. I'm comparing these cars against Ghibli S (Q4).
And just for fun, I'm throwing in Quattroporte as well :D.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Tough poll, as I think the Ghibli competes with many of the vehicles you listed. I chose Audi since that's what I was shopping.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Agree with essfive but I picked the BMW 650i as that is what I was shopping..........but I have never even considered Audi................

·
Registered
52 Posts
I also looked at the Tesla Model S along with the Audi S6 and BMW 640i

·
Registered
118 Posts
The only other car on that list that we considered was the Jaguar XF Supercharged.

We really did love that car too, but loved the Ghibli more.

If we would have encountered a show-stopper when researching and buying the Ghibli, we would have walked down the street and bought an XF.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Closest is 650 CG but...

not really -- maybe 7 out of 10; Panamera might push it to 7.5. It depends on what your criteria is. For me, the rest are all great and fun cars in their own right, but are maybe a 6-7 out of 10.

SQ4

handling 10 out of 10
performance 10 out of 10 (for what I need on American roads)
interior
leather 10 out of 10
all other 7 our of 10 -- but not that important to me

I guess it comes down to handling and the relationship of the driver to the car itself. I feel more connected in the SQ4.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I didn't want to include Tesla S in this poll, just because I think it's a completely different car due to the nature of electric motor.
And I wanted make this poll as tough as possible as I want to know people's top choice, instead of having them choose multiple car.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The BMW 550 seems like a true direct competitor to me.
I heard Porsche will have a "Mini-Panamera" which could also be a direct rival to the Ghibli

·
Registered
324 Posts
Have to agree with caranthoo re Tesla Model S, it probably competes more directly w the Ghibli than most on that list.

I considered in order most to least:
  • 650 GC
  • S7
  • S6
  • Model S

The tesla may have been ranked higher if it weren't the hipster car of choice in my hood.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I can certainly see the 650 GC being shown as the closest competitor, it certainly creates a similar feeling in me as the Ghibli.

The reason we didn't even test drive it is that there are soooo many BMWs in SoCal that I didn't want to be a "me too", though I have to say that gorgeous body is tempting.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I do not think that any of the Audi, BMW, Merc cars are competition to the Ghibli for me as I bought it because I did not want one of that trinity.

·
Registered
324 Posts
RSM do you consider the Tesla practical except for primarily local driving? Is charging still an issue?
It's a tough call and it depends where you live and your normal destinations. I live in the SF bay area which is probably the most accommodating place for a Tesla owner -- lots of company sponsored chargers, etc. The higher end model (85 kWh) is good for about 200+ miles under average bay area driving conditions. That's not bad. Some monthly trips to Sacramento would be a close call, and some longer drives down the coast would be pushing it. But overall it's probably "practical". Charging takes time though; I'd dread planning a roadtrip in it. I also don't care so much for the Tesla's styling as i do the Euro cars. The interior is just so-so and the infotainment is not my cupatea. But most of all everyone drives them here; they're multiplying like... BMWs!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I found the Tesla good on technology and looks good. It also has good torque and moves. However, I didn't feel connected. It felt like an electric train you find at airports. The lack of exhaust sound was a negative for me too. Lastly when you let go off the accelerator, the car brakes a little (regenerative breaking to charge the battery).

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've voted for Jaguar XF (same price, dimensions, power, similar look). Think also at Audi S5.
Here in europe there are other competitors (coming from USA!):
Take a look at Tesla S, almost same price, same dimensions, same power, similar look

The panamera is the competitor of the quattroporte.

·
Registered
21 Posts
In my car reviews, I always have a comparison vehicle. For the Ghibli I selected the BMW Gran Coupe because of:

1. Emphasis on styling and performance
2. Similarly cramped back seat
3. Higher price than a 5

1 - 20 of 33 Posts