Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello every one ,I am new here, I am just in the process of buying a second hand Ghibli diesel, it has sky hook, 20" polished weels, , premium, cold weather and executive pac, 6500 miles on the clock, 2014 march Reg, I am also retro fiting reverse camera for company price....I am just about to sell my Jaguar XJ, which in itself has been a dream to drive...i am sacrificing a few goodies like blindspot moniter, auto boot lid closing etc which the Maser does not have...my Jag is four years old...hence i feel the need to change...it is also a 3 liter v6 diseal...I would be greatful for your opinions...I have only given the deposit...final deal is on monday...

·
Registered
325 Posts
hello every one ,I am new here, I am just in the process of buying a second hand Ghibli diesel, it has sky hook, 20" polished weels, , premium, cold weather and executive pac, 6500 miles on the clock, 2014 march Reg, I am also retro fiting reverse camera for company price....I am just about to sell my Jaguar XJ, which in itself has been a dream to drive...i am sacrificing a few goodies like blindspot moniter, auto boot lid closing etc which the Maser does not have...my Jag is four years old...hence i feel the need to change...it is also a 3 liter v6 diseal...I would be greatful for your opinions...I have only given the deposit...final deal is on monday...

Hi and welcome !

I have the Ghibli S so cannot help you really I am afraid, I did test drive the diesel version (when I was waiting for a petrol one to try) and thought it was very smooth and comfortable. There are a some UK diesel guys on this forum who will hopefully pick up your post and offer first hand experiences.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tq for the quick reply, I did test drive it....I do a lot of city driving...so the power was not an issue....but on reading the forum I am more worried about the electronics and so many niggly issues...This is my first italian car...do i just accept it as an expected feature of italian engineering?!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi hiram
I came from Jag XF diesel to a diesel Ghibli & certainly don't regret it.
I noticed a firmer ride on test, so went for the Skyhook option which I find excellent.
The diesel engine is very responsive & comfortable to drive around town, especially in ICE mode.
To date have done around 3,500 miles & so far so good.
A little disappointed with the audio set up (not a patch on the B & W), I notice it is worse when on radio, cd seems to be fine, although I use an IPod most of the time & that is passable.
I do get tempted at times to price an upgrade, but am gradually getting used to it & fear any problems/rattles after disturbing things.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hi again Hiram,

Most of the comments on this forum are from our friends in the US who don't have the diesel engine option and pretty much all of them (lucky buggers) have the 4 wheel drive petrol model (which we can't get !)
As Sodgob says, the only slight moan I have is that the sound system is well below par in my opinion, apart from that, I love the car, I love the looks it gets, I love the exclusivity and I love being a bit different.
I think it would be fair to say that the majority of the issues have been with the 2014 model cars (cars made before July 2014), now the 2015's care coming through, there seem to be less issues and none (that I can remember) from any diesel drivers but I might be wrong.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have 5000 miles + on my diesel Ghibli and not a foot wrong so far. My previous two cars were 7 series BMW and VW Phaeton. It rides and steers far better than the 7 series and is much livelier than the Phaeton. I am not a audiophile as I mainly listen to Radio 4 or 5 and the basic music system is fine for me.

The diesel is plenty fast enough and in sport mode it really wakes up but I keep it in normal mode most of the time for a more relaxed drive. They have done some magic with the audio so the sound of the car is better than you would expect from a diesel. The boot is surprisingly big and the rear seats fold down but the boot lid is a lightweight aluminium one and does not have the coach-built thud the Phaeton's did when closing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
many thanks for the encouraging posts, the audio in the car i am about to ge is a premium version, hopefully that will be of some solace...:nerd:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Do you know why someone turned in that car after only 6,500 miles? Just be careful, there seems to be a few lemons out there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes the person who bought this car has run in to financial issues....hence the sudden sale!

Reactions: BarclayBabe

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2015 diesel Ghibli
Very good engine returns 35 mpg on small journeys
I have premium sound
It is crisp and clear but lacks bass
I am having an active subwoofer fitted (by car audio experts)
Other than that really pleased.

I am sure you will love yours too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Forgot to say

The exterior colour is Blu Emozione with Sabbia Interior

The cost options to this car are:

EXT.LEATHER(PADS-ARMREST-HAND)

INTER. FLOOR CARPET IN VELOUR

OPEN PORE RADICA WOOD TRIM

SHIFT PADD. ON STEERING COLUMN

19" PROTEO SPORT RIMS

HEATED FRONT SEATS 8WAYS 2MEM.

MICA PAINT

CONVENIENCE PACK

PREMIUM PACK

PREMIUM SOUND SYSTEM * Premium Sound System

·
Registered
106 Posts
I too have had a new sub & amp fitted in the boot to upgrade my premium sound.
Bass is now great, made a total difference.

·
Registered
77 Posts
With the added base did you notice a difference with your mirrors shaking? Or any new or worse rattles? My rearview mirror and drivers side rattles from the base in the front door speakers. Well actually my drivers mirror always shakes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi there did you buy your ghibli? buying one next week and a little apprehensive after coming out of the superb mercedes cls, hope your maserati has been fine

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had been a Jaguar owner for some twenty years, my previous car being an XF S Portfolio, before switching to a Ghibli Diesel which was delivered end of July. The car your looking at is similar to mine - Emozione Blu and Sabbia Interior.
The Ghibli is about the only car, short of much more expensive brands, that has the luxury and presence of a Jaguar XJ, in fact in many ways it is ahead of the Jaguar. Sadly Jaguars latest XF simply doesn't have the looks of the Maserati, and I continued to be impressed by the quality of finish on the Ghibli. The extended leather pack makes all the difference.
Like you I would like some of the gadgets that I had, such as Adaptive Cruise Control, as well as some of the features the latest XF has, but as my car is the 15my it has blind spot incl cross traffic warning when your in reverse, and electric boot lid which is also foot operated.
I have the Skyhook suspension, which like others say is very good, making the ride on twenty inch wheels probably a bit better than the XF, but with noticeably better handling and cornering. Being a bit of a traditionalist I also have the gloss Ebano wood which adds to the luxury appearance. I have the B&W sound system which expensive is pretty good.
I have received a lot of criticism on this site and the Sportmaserati site for having a diesel Maserati. However IMO when you balance everything up the diesel is the best option. The petrol engines apart from being more expensive are far from competitive against the cars rivals, being slower less economical and I believe less efficient than the petrol engines you will find in say a BMW.
Whilst its true at slow speeds and idle you can if you listen hear its a diesel, but no more so than in the XF I had, at cruising speed its also quieter th and whilst everyone says it hasn't got the exhaust sound of the petrol, my neighbour who has a GT, took a look at my car, and I started it and let him listen to the exhaust, in Sport mode I hasten to add, and he was fooled into thinking it was still a big petrol engine!! Maserati also don't advertise anywhere on the car that its diesel adding to the illusion.

Finally, I am always surprised at the amount of people that comment on the car, they all think its £100k car, and by inference that I am a lot more successful than I really am ;)
If you did want to buy new, I did get a very good discount, if some of the features of the newer model are important. It also has access to 'Siri' if you use an Apple phone, so it opens up all sorts of functionality.
Regards
Keith

1 - 16 of 16 Posts