Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys...new to the forum here but I was reading the last couple of weeks. A couple of days ago I was lucky enough to find a nice dealer that actually asked me if 2 hours alone with the Ghibli diesel in Germany would be enough time! :) I was floored. Anyway, out the door I went in the Diesel. The sound was better than most cars on the road, especially Mercedes, BMW and Porsche (without Sports Exhaust). Nice experience, but not exciting enough especially with that Diesel engine, almost though and if you just want a really cool daily driver that sips the cheaper diesel, then I would go for it. It is a **** of lot more exciting than any German sedan. Here in Europe diesel in most countries is much cheaper than gas, and diesel in Europe is already so much more than the price of gas in the USA. I have two diesels now, a Mercedes GL350 (3 boys) and a Porsche Cayenne Diesel. Both are adequate and the torque makes the lack of true speed not so noticeable and since everyone else has a slow car too...then these are already faster than your usual Peugot and Renault and VW diesels around.

The Ghibli exterior in person is lovely and the interior was also beautiful. I could find no evidence of cost down measures save for the way the video screen looked not integrated, but I never really cared about that either until I saw it side by side with the Quattroporte interior and the way they do the screen and interior in the Quattroporte is very 7 series S Class with a Maserati Trident for passion making it that much better. On Autobahn the Ghibli Diesel was much better than my Porsche Diesel in terms of getting me to over the 200kph mark and beyond too much traffic to really test the top speed but it all felt much more stable in all aspects on the autobahn.

When I returned after about 45 minutes the dealer I told the dealer I loved the car, but not the engine so much. I mean when you drive a Maserati you have certain expectations. Had it been another brand I may have not been expecting so much, so he told me next week I could drive the S Q4, but he could show let me drive the S Q4 Quattroporte with the identical engine. Smiles again. Moments later, when the engine fired up, my ears were pleased. There was the sound I was looking for, and the amount of acceleration compared with the drama of the noise, now this was perfect combination of joy and smiles.

The new Quattroporte comapred to the old one is much balenced and handles better. It really feels lighter and quicker and the new interior is gorgeous and the exterior I think I like better because I never cared for the back taillights on the old QP. The new headlights are also more modern.

Compared to the Ghibli I have a question for the forum folks, did the cost down of the Ghibli compared to the QP have anything to do with the brakes and suspension and steering. They all seemed slightly better than the Ghibli diesel but maybe it was my imagination based on the speed and the noise and the more perfect interior.

So my problem is which car to buy. A slightly used QP S Q4 or a new Ghibli S Q4, because it will be almost the exactly the same price or the QP may be slightly cheaper. I would still like the drive the new Ghibli S Q4 first before I decide to see if it feels more nimble but on that day the QP seemed to be the more nimble, but that seems crazy and I just wanted to know if anyone else has compared the two new Maserati's like this on the same day?

By the way with all of this said, I hope no one gets the impression the Ghibli Diesel or the Ghibli in general is nothing less than the happiness. I was very happy with the Diesel if I was not already driving one slow car or if my other car was a 911 or Ferrari, but at the moment the Maserati will be my only driver's car so the diesel wasn't perfect. Maybe I am making a mistake because once I get a real 2 seater sports car I can have the Ghibli diesel and be happy about it. Also alone the Ghibli is a great car just the QP had me thinking adulterous thoughts although its interior and air about it made me feel 10 years older like I was driving an old man's car and that I was in the presence of a 7 Series S Class competitor.

·
Registered
277 Posts
thanks for your insight on the Ghibli diesel

Its hard to say.

You are debating between new or used.
The used will likely offer better value but the new car is.. well NEW!

Just go for the one that makes you happier.

·
Registered
76 Posts
thanks for your insight on the Ghibli diesel

Its hard to say.

You are debating between new or used.
The used will likely offer better value but the new car is.. well NEW!

Just go for the one that makes you happier.
best way to put it.

another thing to consider is that new cars have a ton of problems, so you can either get a new car and deal with the issues or get that used vehicle which wont be as much of an issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts