Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off,

Hi All 👋🏻, I’m really new to Maserati so did my research as you do, and it throws up so much reliability concerns that I’m really dubious now about making a purchase,

But even my doubts about repair costs and reliability still hasn’t finally put me off, I can’t find anything I like that comes close to a Ghibil for looks

It will be a daily driver for me, so I’m looking for some honest help from you knowledgeable people around ownership of the diesel.

Oh, and I’m looking at either a 2017 or 2018 model, they both have less than 30k miles on them too, from a garage but not main dealer

help please,

cheers

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hi Stokie,
I have a 2017 Diesel sport version.
The 2018 is different looking front and rear bumper, the gear stick as changed to sometimes in 2018 I believe.
So far I have 60 000km on it, depending on your driving it can eat tires.
The 2018 is more practical for the AdBlue filling, the filler cap is next to the fuel, on the 2017 it is in the boot, by the spare wheel.
Cost of servicing is quite high at the dealer, at least here in France ~1000€ for a normal service, I do them myself now the warranty is over, much cheaper.
I have the computer to reset the servicing. Launch X431 X-diag pro3 works perfectly.
Make sure they have used 5W40 for oil, not 5W30 they used to use the 30 and had a few engine issues, no probs with the 40 grade.
I had to change the battery after 3 years, if you use it as a daily you won't have that problem.
Parts are expensive, but you can easily find alternative parts on the market, which are the same as Maserati is using anyway. Only disks brakes are specific, but parts are readily available.

I have added a few mods to it.
The chrome grill you find on Ali express, a dashcam, a Maxhaust exhaust sound system, and a remap with the EGR closed. she flies now.

On the reliability side I have only had issues with the USB/SD card reader which sometimes does not want to read, the next day it works!!!

A part from that it is grin from ear to ear when I drive it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response Fred, it’s appreciated. I think the Maserati itch I need to scratch, I’ve never had an Italian car, so that’s another itch that needs to be scratched too.

Now I know you do your own servicing, are able to reset the servicing notifications, I may need an annual holiday to France 😉

Do you have pics of you Ghibli ?

·
Registered
609 Posts
For your servicing, by all means LOL... I leave in the South of France, you can join usefulness and pleasure.
I have one to service on Thursday.
I seem to have issues putting pictures on this site.
Send me an PM with your mail, I will send you some.

·
Registered
3 Posts
First off,

Hi All 👋🏻, I’m really new to Maserati so did my research as you do, and it throws up so much reliability concerns that I’m really dubious now about making a purchase,

But even my doubts about repair costs and reliability still hasn’t finally put me off, I can’t find anything I like that comes close to a Ghibil for looks

It will be a daily driver for me, so I’m looking for some honest help from you knowledgeable people around ownership of the diesel.

Oh, and I’m looking at either a 2017 or 2018 model, they both have less than 30k miles on them too, from a garage but not main dealer

help please,

cheers
Hello,
I have a 2017 ghibli with less than 30k miles, I purchased from Carvana. I love it, esp the red interior. Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
I guess I should have posted before attaching photos. About a month ago I bought this 2019S with 4,000 miles for 63K USD. It was being sold by a Hyundai dealer here in OC, CA. All external chrome has been removed or "murdered out" with the exception of the hood emblem. The entire car is ceramic coated and super easy to clean.

I just realized this is a diesel thread.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I should have posted before attaching photos. About a month ago I bought this 2019S with 4,000 miles for 63K USD. It was being sold by a Hyundai dealer here in OC, CA. All external chrome has been removed or "murdered out" with the exception of the hood emblem. The entire car is ceramic coated and super easy to clean.

I just realized this is a diesel thread.:rolleyes:
Lovely looking car, if I make the decision to buy one, I’ll be de-chroming it too. Personal preference of course, but I think chrome spoils the look.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello,
I have a 2017 ghibli with less than 30k miles, I purchased from Carvana. I love it, esp the red interior. Good luck
Have you come across any issues so far with ownership?

What sort of reaction do you get from it? As don’t see many on the roads (well, not around here anyway)

·
Registered
5 Posts
First off,

help please,

cheers
Hi!
I own now my 2nd Ghibli and love it.
I just love the ride and the power of the brakes
When driving at a high speed and making a complete stop! My Ghibli is a 2018. I
Always use premium gas, I considered them very reliable(this is my 2nd Ghibli). As far as maintenance, I’ve done the oil changes when due and brakes every 10k or less. Maintenance is EXPENSIVE, by the way I still have the original battery. I just love the ride and the traction is even better on this 2018.
Hope I helped!
Gris

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi!
I own now my 2nd Ghibli and love it.
I just love the ride and the power of the brakes
When driving at a high speed and making a complete stop! My Ghibli is a 2018. I
Always use premium gas, I considered them very reliable(this is my 2nd Ghibli). As far as maintenance, I’ve done the oil changes when due and brakes every 10k or less. Maintenance is EXPENSIVE, by the way I still have the original battery. I just love the ride and the traction is even better on this 2018.
Hope I helped!
Gris
Thanks for the positive feedback, they are helping to sway my decision.

Do you have any pics of your Ghibli?

·
Registered
66 Posts
First off,

Oh, and I’m looking at either a 2017 or 2018 model, they both have less than 30k 9miles on them too, from a garage but not main dealer

help please,

cheers
Hello Mr Stokie,

I am on my first Ghibli Diesel also. I bought my 2018 last August with just under 10k miles on the clock. I bought from a main dealer in the UK. Usual Maserati /Ferrari combination. I may have paid a little over the average but for that I got Maserati approved and two additional years warranty for free. They also put two new tyres on the back as the ones fitted were getting a bit low they said. As Fred the omniscient has said it eats tyres. It's a daily drive for me too having put on 4800 miles since last August. I replaced the front tyres last month, and yesterday August 4. I replaced the two rears , yip, 4800 miles out of a pair of Pirelli. I have just had my car chipped so god knows how far I will get on this set.
Fred the omniscient has a penchant for mapping as oppose to chipping. The good thing about chipping is you csn remove it yourself at any time and it leaves no trace on yhe cars ECU. Insurance and warranties and all that.I don't know if the extra power is really worth it. I think my 0 to 60 is better but if you plan on going down that route read up on it first.
I have also just had an A service. Bought the oil and parts myself all Maserati approved ( warranty remember ) So my local good standard garage provided the Labour and expertise. Probably saved a third on the Main dealer but you do have service light issue if your mechanic does not have a scanner, BEWARE SELLERS WHO WILL TELL YOU THEIR SCANNER WILL RESET YOUR OIL LIGHT .I have had a nightmare with the Official OBD store and Foxwell, both lying bastards but what can you expect fom the Chinese ( no apologise for that ) I'm currently our £310. but hope to get my money back, you notice hope. It's a long story.
The good news is the only issue I have had was getting a replacement wiper blade. Not as easy as it might sound if you want to avoid £70 main dealer.😢 My battery is still fine according to the car data and my battery check gizmo.
The main problem you might find is a sore jaw from saying thank you to all the nice people who " will " complement your car. Also shouting at the rectal apetures who think they are clever by blocking the outside lane with their bit of tin.
For any technical etc advice I suggest you do chat to Fred the omniscient. A valuable and friendly source on here. Enjoy your Ghibli. It is worth the extra here and there yes it is. B.T.W. I average 29 MPG. that said I'm a cold start for my daily short journey to my golf club and back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello Mr Stokie,

I am on my first Ghibli Diesel also. I bought my 2018 last August with just under 10k miles on the clock. I bought from a main dealer in the UK. Usual Maserati /Ferrari combination. I may have paid a little over the average but for that I got Maserati approved and two additional years warranty for free. They also put two new tyres on the back as the ones fitted were getting a bit low they said. As Fred the omniscient has said it eats tyres. It's a daily drive for me too having put on 4800 miles since last August. I replaced the front tyres last month, and yesterday August 4. I replaced the two rears , yip, 4800 miles out of a pair of Pirelli. I have just had my car chipped so god knows how far I will get on this set.
Fred the omniscient has a penchant for mapping as oppose to chipping. The good thing about chipping is you csn remove it yourself at any time and it leaves no trace on yhe cars ECU. Insurance and warranties and all that.I don't know if the extra power is really worth it. I think my 0 to 60 is better but if you plan on going down that route read up on it first.
I have also just had an A service. Bought the oil and parts myself all Maserati approved ( warranty remember ) So my local good standard garage provided the Labour and expertise. Probably saved a third on the Main dealer but you do have service light issue if your mechanic does not have a scanner, BEWARE SELLERS WHO WILL TELL YOU THEIR SCANNER WILL RESET YOUR OIL LIGHT .I have had a nightmare with the Official OBD store and Foxwell, both lying bastards but what can you expect fom the Chinese ( no apologise for that ) I'm currently our £310. but hope to get my money back, you notice hope. It's a long story.
The good news is the only issue I have had was getting a replacement wiper blade. Not as easy as it might sound if you want to avoid £70 main dealer.😢 My battery is still fine according to the car data and my battery check gizmo.
The main problem you might find is a sore jaw from saying thank you to all the nice people who " will " complement your car. Also shouting at the rectal apetures who think they are clever by blocking the outside lane with their bit of tin.
For any technical etc advice I suggest you do chat to Fred the omniscient. A valuable and friendly source on here. Enjoy your Ghibli. It is worth the extra here and there yes it is. B.T.W. I average 29 MPG. that said I'm a cold start for my daily short journey to my golf club and back.
Cheers for the reply, it’s appreciated. Do you have any pics of your motor you can post on here?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lovely looking car, if I make the decision to buy one, I’ll be de-chroming it too. Personal preference of course, but I think chrome spoils the look.
Yes, I agree. I had looked at a few different colour schemes. Including a white with red interior. I did have to replace a left rear tire for a nail too close to the sidewall. Pirelli PZ 275/45 R19 dealer cost + MB = $300.00.

·
Registered
66 Posts
First off,

help please,

cheers
Pictures as requested.
Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Grille
Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Vehicle Maserati Car
Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Grille
Sky Plant Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle
Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very impressive,
Are you doing anything to it, like de-chrome, changing badge colours or keeping it how it looks

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have thought of putting my own mark on it but it's not really me nor nessesary in my view.
I have 19" wheels, and a cream/white interior so much better than black upholstery, the dash is black which does irritate a bit but roof ling is beautiful like suade. I eould definately try for the 2018. From what i have read a lot of the reliability issues went when the started builfing the 18. Remember it's basically a JEEP engine in the diesel. Not the Ferrari where you have a much more tempremenral engine. According to the media the 2018 gearbox is top notch. AI don't know much about modern cars like Fred does. I drove new Mercedes for years so never had a problem and anyway under warranty. The dealer costs are a rip off everyone knows that, but if like me you know a decent garage you are ok.You are not obliged to use main dealer for service for if done properly any warranty is valid. ( There was a court case about it years ago and the main dealers lost.) Just get good quality documetation. I also take back the used parts just in case.
As I said its a Chrysler Jeep diesel engine, not rocket science while if you are out of warrenty there are lots of good generic parts for the replaceables. My air and oil filters came ftom Owens a main dealer down south £ 152 including postage. The oil £60 including postage both from ebay. As Fred said the oil is important. I got a free sample from my seller Shell Helix Ultra 5 W 40 synth. So I knew what to buy. Labour is about 1.5 hours so £200 for parts plus Labour.
Main dealers are over £600 I understand. However the Big service as I call it is in the region of £1,200. If you go on ebay you can get a price for the additional parts above the air and oil filters.
Don't be put off too much by the stuff on YouTube. Many come from americans who bought the older models which were old when they bought them.. Compared with the E Class the ride is a little firmer but only in sports mode. In ice mode it's quiet and fairly smooth. Depends too on your wheel and tyre choice. I just put on two Goodyears 275×40×19 £366 before a £40 discount that said I put Japanese tyres on the front for £300. Both include fitting, balance etc. I think the build quality us as good as any certainly equal to E Class and hammers the C Class. That said it is more expensive, but if you can get a good low mileage fleet car with no body damage that's a good buy as they have been properly maintained, tend to have been driven by older guys ( senior managers ) so probably never really hammered. No guarantees of course. If you live near London there are a number of independent garages that offer full Maserati service standards for a lot less money than main dealers.
The bottom line is, ir's an Italian luxury car, it's a rare car, a beautiful car and a joy to drive. The exhaust note in sports mode will turn heads, as will the looks. One more thing it's a bloody big car😊

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have thought of putting my own mark on it but it's not really me nor nessesary in my view.
I have 19" wheels, and a cream/white interior so much better than black upholstery, the dash is black which does irritate a bit but roof ling is beautiful like suade. I eould definately try for the 2018. From what i have read a lot of the reliability issues went when the started builfing the 18. Remember it's basically a JEEP engine in the diesel. Not the Ferrari where you have a much more tempremenral engine. According to the media the 2018 gearbox is top notch. AI don't know much about modern cars like Fred does. I drove new Mercedes for years so never had a problem and anyway under warranty. The dealer costs are a rip off everyone knows that, but if like me you know a decent garage you are ok.You are not obliged to use main dealer for service for if done properly any warranty is valid. ( There was a court case about it years ago and the main dealers lost.) Just get good quality documetation. I also take back the used parts just in case.
As I said its a Chrysler Jeep diesel engine, not rocket science while if you are out of warrenty there are lots of good generic parts for the replaceables. My air and oil filters came ftom Owens a main dealer down south £ 152 including postage. The oil £60 including postage both from ebay. As Fred said the oil is important. I got a free sample from my seller Shell Helix Ultra 5 W 40 synth. So I knew what to buy. Labour is about 1.5 hours so £200 for parts plus Labour.
Main dealers are over £600 I understand. However the Big service as I call it is in the region of £1,200. If you go on ebay you can get a price for the additional parts above the air and oil filters.
Don't be put off too much by the stuff on YouTube. Many come from americans who bought the older models which were old when they bought them.. Compared with the E Class the ride is a little firmer but only in sports mode. In ice mode it's quiet and fairly smooth. Depends too on your wheel and tyre choice. I just put on two Goodyears 275×40×19 £366 before a £40 discount that said I put Japanese tyres on the front for £300. Both include fitting, balance etc. I think the build quality us as good as any certainly equal to E Class and hammers the C Class. That said it is more expensive, but if you can get a good low mileage fleet car with no body damage that's a good buy as they have been properly maintained, tend to have been driven by older guys ( senior managers ) so probably never really hammered. No guarantees of course. If you live near London there are a number of independent garages that offer full Maserati service standards for a lot less money than main dealers.
The bottom line is, ir's an Italian luxury car, it's a rare car, a beautiful car and a joy to drive. The exhaust note in sports mode will turn heads, as will the looks. One more thing it's a bloody big car😊
Thanks for an informative read.
I’ve booked a test drive for Saturday from a main dealer one, 2017, but going off your review, I may be better waiting to get a 2018 model.

The 2017 isn’t actually the colour I want either, so waiting until I get the right colour won’t be too hard

I’ve never been behind the wheel in one, so it won’t be waste of time either, I may love it, I may hate the drive and will put me off totally.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Oh you won't hate the drive I can assure you of that As I said it's a big car and heavy with it, so you feel the car under you. Particularly when the turbo kicks in. So right to wait for a colour you like. Took me ten months to find mine. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
First off,

help please,

cheers
Hi there!
I’ve recently bought. Maserati Ghibli Diesel!
I have been hugely impressed after searching for over 6 months as I had very specific requirements!

I finally found the car I desired! I’ve always had German cars until now but like you fancied a change and I’ve not been disappointed !

The amount of looks I get is incredible and the sound is great too.

I have just added a Kufatec exhaust system today which is just amazing.. I smile to myself
As people stop to stare knowing I’m driving a diesel hahaha

I hope you get theright car!! Lots for sale so will depend what spec you require ! I waited and waited for the right car and glad I did.

Good Luck
Paul

1 - 20 of 43 Posts