Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I`m the proud owner of a 2016 Ghibli 3.0 petrol which I purchased with a damaged engine , I need a workshop manual ( I`m happy to pay a reasonable price for this ) and a good parts source to repair this, Can anyone steer me in the right direction, I`m located in New Zealand, Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
485 Posts
unfortunately, to my knowledge, maserati's online portal is the only place i know of for any sort of manuals right now.
also, engine internals ie. pistons, rings, etc are not obtainable as far as i know/have experienced.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi and thanks for your response, I purchased a manual in CD Rom format form `repairmanualnow` in Lithuania, It hasn`t arrived yet but I will let you know of the quality when it does. The engine has seized three big ends and a main bearing, it doesn`t look too bad but I will take to the engine rebuilders to give me their opinion, I assume that they won`t be able to do much until they get the correct specifications. Are these engines or their internals (crank, rods etc) the same as any Jeep/Chrysler models like their Diesel counterparts?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hi and thanks for your response, I purchased a manual in CD Rom format form `repairmanualnow` in Lithuania, It hasn`t arrived yet but I will let you know of the quality when it does. The engine has seized three big ends and a main bearing, it doesn`t look too bad but I will take to the engine rebuilders to give me their opinion, I assume that they won`t be able to do much until they get the correct specifications. Are these engines or their internals (crank, rods etc) the same as any Jeep/Chrysler models like their Diesel counterparts?
the block is a pentastar block, but it is designed and milled by maserati/ferrari. the internals are shared no where else as far as i know.
FCA doesn't run any other twin turbo pentastar engines among CDRJ so...
again, dealership wise, internal parts are unobtainable.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Not really a Pentastar block. It's 2019 and this bullshit rumor, started back in 2012 by Allpar, based on some speculations, still spreads, even on this forum.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was looking through the Scuderia Car Parts link above, and though it looks like most everything is available there I did identify at least one thing that seems to be missing, Main Caps.

Any idea what happened / where the damage might be?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Not really a Pentastar block. It's 2019 and this bullshit rumor, started back in 2012 by Allpar, based on some speculations, still spreads, even on this forum.
odd since it looks identical to jeep v6's, down to the pentastar on the front cover.
the block yes, as a solid unmilled untouched aluminum block.
designed by maserati, machined and assembled by ferrari.

·
Registered
86 Posts
odd since it looks identical to jeep v6's, down to the pentastar on the front cover.
the block yes, as a solid unmilled untouched aluminum block.
designed by maserati, machined and assembled by ferrari.
I knew the blocks were manufactured in Kokomo, IN, never knew if it was shared. Reading through this I don't get the impression that it is shared. They might just still be keeping that a secret, could be something along the same block with tighter tolerances maintained or something.

https://www.autonews.com/article/20140908/OEM01/309089978/maserati-s-secret-chrysler-makes-its-engine-blocks

·
Registered
86 Posts
Found this, question/answer from Car & Driver 2014 (I think it is Car & Driver responding)

Devon, Backfires: “Twin-turbo 3.0-liter V-6—based on Chrysler’s Pentastar?”

The Maserati’s block is cast in Chrysler’s Kokomo, Indiana, casting plant, but we’ve been told that the fundamental casting is different from the Pentastar. Also, we can definitively say it doesn’t sound like any Pentastar we’ve driven.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15367788/2014-maserati-ghibli-questions-answered-10-responses-to-your-10-best-backfires-facebook-twitter-and-google-plus-queries/

·
Registered
625 Posts

What Pentastar on the front cover? Have you seen an Maserati engine?

I knew the blocks were manufactured in Kokomo, IN, never knew if it was shared. Reading through this I don't get the impression that it is shared. They might just still be keeping that a secret, could be something along the same block with tighter tolerances maintained or something.

Yes, the blocks are cast at Kokomo plant, and probably share some elements with the Pentastar blocks, elements that come from using the same factory - retooling and designing something from scratch cost a lot - but they're cast at a different grade. They have different stroke and bore, that changes the whole block anyway. Also, the raw blocks are machined and finished at Ferrari's factory. And it's just the block, everything else is shared, more or less, with the F154 engines.

This was done because Ferrari's own Alcoa-built foundry couldn't handle the volumes.

·
Registered
485 Posts
What Pentastar on the front cover? Have you seen an Maserati engine?

Yes, the blocks are cast at Kokomo plant, and probably DEFINITELY share some elements with the Pentastar blocks, elements that come from using the same factory - retooling and designing something from scratch cost a lot - but they're cast at a different grade. They have different stroke and bore, that changes the whole block anyway. NEGATIVE, A BLOCK IS A BLOCK, THE END Also, the raw blocks are machined and finished at Ferrari's factory. And it's just the block, everything else is shared, more or less, with the F154 engines. JUST NO.

This was done because Ferrari's own Alcoa-built foundry couldn't handle the volumes.
i don't grasp what this is about, your saying it is and isn't?
i am staring at one in a crate, actually. and the pentastar on it.
they share a lot with FCA v6's, sensors, connectors, VVT solenoids...
the F154 is a whole different animal, have you even seen an engine?

i digress from the original conversation, i am very curious to see if the internals can be sourced after all and how the rebuild goes.
an unfortunate alternative would be having to purchase a light version of the long block, rather than a complete crate engine from maserati directly.

·
Registered
625 Posts
What you arrogantly underlined in red just shows how little you know about engines in general, and about F160 and F154 in particular. I don't think I should dignify you with anymore replies

But, please, feel free to prove us all wrong and post a pic of the "Pentastar" on the Maserati block

·
Registered
485 Posts
What you arrogantly underlined in red just shows how little you know about engines in general, and about F160 and F154 in particular. I don't think I should dignify you with anymore replies

But, please, feel free to prove us all wrong and post a pic of the "Pentastar" on the Maserati block
ok. water pump assembly for now for a pentastar block, i'll be onto stripping the crate engine some time soon. it has some good salvageable parts on it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
A Pentastar engine has a Pentastar logo. What a shocker!
Still waiting for the picture of the Maserati block.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi , Sorry about the delay in reporting back. The CD rom workshop manual arrived and it is a very copy of the factory manual with lots of good colour images and totals 3545 pages. The crankshaft came up mint with a light polish after sitting in their workshop for two weeks! I have ordered the Main bearings, Big ends, ring set,gaskets,rod bolts and 3 new conrods as the others were slightly heat marked.I sourced the parts from both Scuderia and Eurospares in the UK as neither supplier had all parts required. Easy process and I think reasonably priced. So now just a week or two and they should arrive.

Looks to be a very nice,compact and well built engine but the cylinder heads would benefit from a good port and polish!... has anybody done this?

The questions around it being a Pentastar block for those who give a toss!- the only Chrysler logos on the engine are on the rear main seal plate,camshaft variators and I think the water pump but nothing on the block with Maserati logo on the timing cover.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts