Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've also seen a few of these cars pop up recently with bottom end failures at dumb-low prices. Anyone opened one of these up yet? An ad described "bearing failure", but hard to say the extent of what damage was done beyond the bearing.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've also seen a few of these cars pop up recently with bottom end failures at dumb-low prices. Anyone opened one of these up yet? An ad described "bearing failure", but hard to say the extent of what damage was done beyond the bearing.
Pretty sure that the 14-15' have faulty oil pumps.

·
Super Moderator
2,137 Posts
Pretty sure that the 14-15' have faulty oil pumps.
I believe the oil pump issues (finding metal in sump/engine seizures) goes beyond 14-15's ... it's just we're seeing this happen after more mileage / use. One of the mechanics could confirm, but I think the updated 2018+ engines are not seeing this occur.
No campaigns/service bulletins from Maserati although understand they are working with Ferrari on the concern. One of the many reasons, Maserati is moving away from Ferrari built (controlled)) engines.

Reactions: NYCSQ4

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Guys, I`m the proud owner of a 2016 Ghibli 3.0 petrol which I purchased with a damaged engine , I need a workshop manual ( I`m happy to pay a reasonable price for this ) and a good parts source to repair this, Can anyone steer me in the right direction, I`m located in New Zealand, Thanks in advance.
Hi I have a brand new v6 3.0 410 hp a/c water pump alternator wire harness etc.ready to drop in with brand new 8 speed tranny. Selling for $12,500.
See selling post here. Or email me [email protected]

·
Registered
40 Posts
Curious about the faulty oil pumps, do we know what mileages had these cars when failures were observed?

Please keep us posted with your progress. I am sure many of us are following your effort with great interest :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Very interesting read, so technically this is a Chrysler block with some Ferrari buff & polish job. Was hoping for some more endurance from this motor, perhaps some forged pistons at least. Was also wishing for a more active aftermarket support that will really wake the car up
That's not what I got out of this debate (argument).

·
Super Moderator
2,137 Posts
Curious about the faulty oil pumps, do we know what mileages had these cars when failures were observed?

Please keep us posted with your progress. I am sure many of us are following your effort with great interest :)

Thanks!
My understanding is somewhere in the +/- 30K range they started to see oil pump failures ... although driving conditions will impact. There are more and more Ghibli's with "relative" high mileage with no issues. Some of the mechanics can chime in on their experience, but expect it's a combination of design and car care that triggers the failure.

Reactions: milanojess

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi , Sorry about the delay in reporting back. The CD rom workshop manual arrived and it is a very copy of the factory manual with lots of good colour images and totals 3545 pages. The crankshaft came up mint with a light polish after sitting in their workshop for two weeks! I have ordered the Main bearings, Big ends, ring set,gaskets,rod bolts and 3 new conrods as the others were slightly heat marked.I sourced the parts from both Scuderia and Eurospares in the UK as neither supplier had all parts required. Easy process and I think reasonably priced. So now just a week or two and they should arrive.

Looks to be a very nice,compact and well built engine but the cylinder heads would benefit from a good port and polish!... has anybody done this?

The questions around it being a Pentastar block for those who give a toss!- the only Chrysler logos on the engine are on the rear main seal plate,camshaft variators and I think the water pump but nothing on the block with Maserati logo on the timing cover.
I am attempting to rebuild my 2014 I have spun rod and main bearings. Do you have specs my machine shop needs and I have been unable to determine if any oversized bearings are available

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was looking through the Scuderia Car Parts link above, and though it looks like most everything is available there I did identify at least one thing that seems to be missing, Main Caps.

Any idea what happened / where the damage might be?
Scuderia seems to have full diagrams but not specifications. They also seem to carry or have access to any Maserati part you need and are reasonably priced (plus shipping of course) but definitely at a fraction of Dealer cost. They are also very nice and helpful, I’ve so far ordered some misc. items and maintenance parts from them. They wont get here for a couple weeks from Europe but I know what I got into lol.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts