Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently traded in my 2016 Ghibli S for a new Genesis G80 3.5 twin turbo. It would be unfair to compare a 6 year newer car to the old Ghibli so I won’t… But it would be ugly.

I loved:
  • Still one of the best looking cars on the road and like the attention it gets.
  • BEST ENGINE EVER. Incredibly smooth, the exhaust is legendary. Once spooled it keeps pulling. Felt like a Ferrari regardless of the engine block origin.
  • Transmission programming spot on.
  • Great brakes.
  • Surprisingly trouble free. But my perspective my be skewed (3 Jags before this).

I Hated:
  • The entire interior looked and felt like it came out of a Dodge Charger. Because it did. Crunchy controls, cracked plastic console, chrome peeling off etc. Crappy Chrysler shifter. Horrible for premium brand. Ruined the experience.
  • All the OEM wheel selections looked like they were straight off a Corolla. Why put ugly wheels on a beautiful car??
  • Handling was meh… Didn’t do justice to the engine and brakes.
  • No technology, even for 2016. My kids 2016 Chevy pickup has more.
  • Sound system was pathetic.
  • Ridiculous service prices. Twice what the Jags cost which were twice what a normal car cost. Full disclosure, I did all my own work. (As far as servicing goes, it’s just a Chrysler).
  • Both warranty repairs I had required a call to Italy. Replaced the AC evaporator and drivers visor. Yes even the visor had to be approved by Italy. Scary to think what would happen if there was a real problem with the pricey bits??
  • I would add the obscene depreciation but I bought it CPO with 19K on it. Paid less than half price of new. So maybe this should go into the “love” column.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
159 Posts
Hyundai reliability has been great the last few years, and the Genesis gives great value for the money. But you complain about Chrysler bits and then buy a car that was copied from Mercedes, just done cheaper with Korean labor. I agree that a $400 oil changes is obscene but when I am done with warranty, my local indie shop can handle for about $200. Not much more than my Audis, but higher because of the need for oem filter, bolt, crush washer.

I predict you will be very happy with your Genesis but I also guarantee no one will walk across a parking lot to admire it and/or take their picture with it (like a couple of women did with mine at a winery).

·
Registered
179 Posts
Most of those issues were addressed after the refresh.

The Ghibli isn't meant for everyone...those who understand it love it, those that don't understand it don't. That's fine with me!

Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Recently traded in my 2016 Ghibli S for a new Genesis G80 3.5 twin turbo. It would be unfair to compare a 6 year newer car to the old Ghibli so I won’t… But it would be ugly.

I loved:
  • Still one of the best looking cars on the road and like the attention it gets.
  • BEST ENGINE EVER. Incredibly smooth, the exhaust is legendary. Once spooled it keeps pulling. Felt like a Ferrari regardless of the engine block origin.
  • Great brakes.
  • Surprisingly trouble free. But my perspective my be skewed (3 Jags before this).

I Hated:
  • The entire interior looked and felt like it came out of a Dodge Charger. Because it did. Crunchy controls, cracked plastic console, chrome peeling off etc. Crappy Chrysler shifter. Horrible for premium brand. Ruined the experience.
  • All the OEM wheel selections looked like they were straight off a Corolla. Why put ugly wheels on a beautiful car??
  • Ridiculous service prices. Twice what the Jags cost which were twice what a normal car cost. Full disclosure, I did all my own work. (As far as servicing goes, it’s just a Chrysler).
  • Both warranty repairs I had required a call to Italy. Replaced the AC evaporator and drivers visor. Yes even the visor had to be approved by Italy. Scary to think what would happen if there was a real problem with the pricey bits??
  • I would add the obscene depreciation but I bought it CPO with 19K on it. Paid less than half price of new. So maybe this should go into the “love” column.

First things first... yes the servicing etc is expensive. The old saying if you can't afford to run it you can't afford it, full stop.
Don't know what CPO is but just watch the value if the G80 drop like a rock.
My car is a 2018 so can't comment on your interior opinions but I love my interior same applies to the 19" wheels superb to look at but that's subjective I suppose.
I didn't buy my " MASERATI " for its tech or sound system, not important itsca Car a very beautiful car for as one of the previous posts states. You won't get many looks. I even had a 70+ year old woman stop me in the street to comment on my Maserati.
Handling? How many owners really drive the car on the edge, answer none. As for general handling as good as any if not better.
Enjoy your slow Genisis as I zip past you with a wave.
Last few points, the grill is rediculous and crass. The Mark is a bad blend of Aston and Bentley and to come on here and criticise the Masarati was foolhardy. Have a good Christmas🎅

·
Registered
7 Posts
Most of those issues were addressed after the refresh.

The Ghibli isn't meant for everyone...those who understand it love it, those that don't understand it don't. That's fine with me!

Enjoy your new ride.
Say, what year was the refresh? I. Looking to buy a Gbibli and trying to figure out what year to buy, but do t want to buy a brand new one. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I loved:
  • Great brakes.

I Hated:

Great comment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had my 2017 Ghibli from new to 40k miles and all it needed were a few oil changes, air filters, a set of tires and brakes.

I absolutely loved each one of those 40k miles that I put on it.

I now drive a V10 R8 which is a beast on its own but heck I have never found even one fault in my Maserati and still praise it to the day.
People who complain about it have either bought it used and abused or have not taken care of it. There is no other reason to complain about it and worst to compare it with a Hyundai.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Say, what year was the refresh? I. Looking to buy a Gbibli and trying to figure out what year to buy, but do t want to buy a brand new one. Thanks.
As I understand it, it was 17 when they cleared output a lot of the earlier critisisems. My 18 has proved faultless so far, although only 1,400 miles. Goes through tyres but that's probably my fault. Don't do much in the way of town driving. Up and fown to thegolf club most days. Eight miles each way so two cold starts, but it gets 100mph+ each time so no practical filter oroblemes on my diesel. Mind you only average 29 mpg. Again driving style.
What has surprised me is that I had to change passenger side wiper blade at 11,000 and now have just replaced drivers side, there not cheap.But then nothing is with a Maserati.or everyone would have one and who wants that.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The Ghibli refresh was 2018, but personally I would buy 2019 or newer. The reason is that 2019 was the first year of the new gear shifter. I've lived with both the old and new shifter - if you get the old one you'll grumble every time you have to shift. New one is light years better.

Not sure what years the sound system improved, but I can tell you my 2019 Bowers & Wilkens is just fine. Can't vouch for the other sound systems.

My 2019 is pretty much fully loaded and has all the technology I need. The things that were important to me were blind spot detection, front and rear sensors, bluetooth, and Android Auto...these all work very well. My car also has lane assist which I hate and have it turned off.

As for wheels, there were just a couple I liked on the original Ghibli (Uranos, Proton) but got the newer Teseo rims on my 2019 and those things are gorgeous!

As others have pointed out, service costs on all luxury brands are high...shouldn't buy if you can't afford the maintenance.

And finally his last "con" - Chrysler switches. Yes some (many?) of the switches are Chrysler standard parts but I don't really care! I want something that will be easy to find and replace should I need to in the future and that what having Chrysler switches gives me. They work just the same as they would have had Maserati designed switches so why should I care? It seems disingenuous to me to on the one hand complain about repair costs and on the other complain about what Maserati did to bring those costs down (common switches).

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
well the block is built in Chrysler Pentastar manufacturer under Ferrari requirements and after full build in Ferrari manufacturer, so it is not a Chrysler engine from a 300C 3.0L so to say.

regarding the interior for example, I agree that the old models, as from 2014 to 2016 had a lot of issues and were really poor quality somehow, I drove a few times an 2015, and after I had a 2017 with the new info system but still the small knob, indeed was not that practical depending in some situations, but there was some changes for better, however, it is in my 2019 where I see the real change, so many things changes to bring it better
I bought it new fully loaded, I don't care about depreciation, yes it is expensive but not more than my other cars in maintenance, and well if you chose between a honda or toyota or Mazda or chrysler and Maserati, I think something is wrong, remove the last one, it has nothing to do there. if you chose between BMW Jaguar or some high Mercedes or Aston etc well then you can have it as a choice, because any of them will cost around the same if not more expensive regarding maintenance etc .

I am very happy with mine, I've done 47600 km (29600 miles) in 3 years and a half and never an issue it drives absolutely fantastic and I take absolutely incredible care with it, it is not a daily car, so I can keep it for quite a while.
For the wheels, I have the Titanium 21 inch and I am very happy with it, and the ride is still very good even with such big wheels

Now what I don't like
The brakes - they worn like sugar and I am not a Fangio driving and I anticipate braking etc a lot, but changing the rotors etc all at only 24000 miles, that is a bit ridiculous compared to my other cars, in my Jag XJ you change them at around 95000 miles just to give an idea
The info System is great meaning does the Job, but shame that we need to connect a USB cable in order to get the Android auto, why DA **** it is not on Bleutooh like in many cars which some of them have a price such as some Maserati wheels.
I have the bowers & Wilkings ( also in one of my cars the Jag) and I hate that the best sound streaming which is absolutely great comes only when connected with the USB cable to my phone and on android, on BT it is ok but nothing to comparer as with the USB cable. I've checked all that even in Maserati dealer .. they say all it is perfect. I am not a young audiophile crazy bass sound on steroids.. but I like a nice quality sound.
So infotainment agreement, it is not really up to date to the actual standards but does everything I need and I did not buy it for that, was for the engine sound the gearbox ( I use the paddles all the time) the ride the pleasure, in general, the style of the car, and all with 4 seats and a trunk, for real Luxury I have the Jag, for yelling at me remembering my wife on her worst days,,,, I have the aston

so, all in all, it is a marvelous car and it is simple,,,, either you buy it because you love it and you take all responsibility for what happened or costs, or if you think buying a Maserati it will change your status in life will bring you plenty of sexy ladies, it will be a full dream.... with 500 bucks in the pocket ( way to speak) well... that is all wrong.

mine here... I like it a lot , still a very charming classy car with a nice pedigree under the hood, I am sorry for those that think that Maserati Ghibli is just what Doug Demuros shows on youtube ( old model basic 2014)

·
Registered
7 Posts
As I understand it, it was 17 when they cleared output a lot of the earlier critisisems. My 18 has proved faultless so far, although only 1,400 miles. Goes through tyres but that's probably my fault. Don't do much in the way of town driving. Up and fown to thegolf club most days. Eight miles each way so two cold starts, but it gets 100mph+ each time so no practical filter oroblemes on my diesel. Mind you only average 29 mpg. Again driving style.
What has surprised me is that I had to change passenger side wiper blade at 11,000 and now have just replaced drivers side, there not cheap.But then nothing is with a Maserati.or everyone would have one and who wants that.
Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts