Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after spending a week with the car trying to accomplish a hard launch, I don't think there is a way to do it unless you break launch which I'm not going to be doing on a $90k car. Basically if you're in sports mode and you floor the accelerator literally nothing happens during the first .5 s and then the car "wakes up" and starts a gradual acceleration which then turns into a good pull. This is very disappointing because all of the AWD cars I owned given the same situation would either generate a very aggressive "tug" forward or in case of rear drive would create wheel spin. This isn't something that's possible it seems in the ghibli. Given that almost all new cars out there have the ability to launch hard this will leave the ghibli in the dust with even the most basic models such as the Audi a5/6 and BMW 535. Taking off the traction control did nothing to help the cause. Has anyone had a different experience?

·
Registered
348 Posts
So after spending a week with the car trying to accomplish a hard launch, I don't think there is a way to do it unless you break launch which I'm not going to be doing on a $90k car. Basically if you're in sports mode and you floor the accelerator literally nothing happens during the first .5 s and then the car "wakes up" and starts a gradual acceleration which then turns into a good pull. This is very disappointing because all of the AWD cars I owned given the same situation would either generate a very aggressive "tug" forward or in case of rear drive would create wheel spin. This isn't something that's possible it seems in the ghibli. Given that almost all new cars out there have the ability to launch hard this will leave the ghibli in the dust with even the most basic models such as the Audi a5/6 and BMW 535. Taking off the traction control did nothing to help the cause. Has anyone had a different experience?
So the interesting thing I found is the behavior has varied car to car. I drove 3 different cars are our favorite dealer and the two out of 3 had very noticeable lag while the 3rd was much less dramatic and wouldn't have been noticeable at all had I not been looking for it. I believe this is something to do with the ECU programming and or quality control issues. It is extremely disappointing nonetheless. If Maserati doesn't come out with a fix soon, I'm actually thinking about canceling my order for a Mercedes E63.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the interesting thing I found is the behavior has varied car to car. I drove 3 different cars are our favorite dealer and the two out of 3 had very noticeable lag while the 3rd was much less dramatic and wouldn't have been noticeable at all had I not been looking for it. I believe this is something to do with the ECU programming and or quality control issues. It is extremely disappointing nonetheless. If Maserati doesn't come out with a fix soon, I'm actually thinking about canceling my order for a Mercedes E63.
Did u happen to notice the mileage on the cars. Possibly a break in issue?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Well that is bothersome. If it an ECU issue I presume that can be fixed at the dealer................but why would the ECU chips vary so much from car to car? you would think the chips are programmed to spec prior to installation.....Now if it is a quality control issue that seems much worse because they will never have a recall so I guess we would have to bring the car to the dealer and hope they fix it? I am not a car guy and not sure of any of the above is correct but I am worried..............did you drive a base or Q S4 I assume the ecu programming would be different between the two?

Also a break in issue would be mechanical not the ECU? Right?

·
Registered
284 Posts
If this is a widespread problem, then theres a good chance that eventually we should see or hear about a TSB being issued out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm curious on exact 0-60 figures. Depending on the model, I found online that the Ghibli should go 0-60 in somewhere between 4.6 and 6.1 seconds. The first being for the Ghibli S Q4 and the latter being for the Ghibli Diesel.

How are the times you have observed different?

·
Registered
852 Posts
on most paddle cars in manual mode if you pull both paddles in you facilitate a clutch dump...

Ghibless - Not that I would do that but what is a clutch dump? and How would that affect the way the car was running for example at 60 or 70 MPH????

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm curious on exact 0-60 figures. Depending on the model, I found online that the Ghibli should go 0-60 in somewhere between 4.6 and 6.1 seconds. The first being for the Ghibli S Q4 and the latter being for the Ghibli Diesel.

How are the times you have observed different?
Its definitely not in the 4s category. I would say low to mid 5s with the inability to launch hard. It's hard to do the 0-60, because the car is not broken in yet, and I don't want to red-line it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Its definitely not in the 4s category. I would say low to mid 5s with the inability to launch hard. It's hard to do the 0-60, because the car is not broken in yet, and I don't want to red-line it.
Good point. I don't think anyone with a Ghibli right now should be flooring it like that. Best to give it slight bursts of higher revs when already up to the speed posted.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Do you think part of the problem is that you haven't broken in the car enough yet? maybe once you spend some more time with your Ghibli it will be a bit more responsive.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you think part of the problem is that you haven't broken in the car enough yet? maybe once you spend some more time with your Ghibli it will be a bit more responsive.
Well that's possible, but I'm just wondering if anyone drove or will drive a broken in Ghibli soon who can attest that this problem doesn't exist once you do break it in.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Well that's possible, but I'm just wondering if anyone drove or will drive a broken in Ghibli soon who can attest that this problem doesn't exist once you do break it in.
The cars I drove all had low miles, less then 1,000 miles and they behaved different, so I don't think breaking in the car is the issue.

Upon giving this some further thought, one of the things about ECU's with newer cars is the behave based on the way the car has been driven. In other words, they adapt to respond the way the driver drives the car. If the driver drives the car gingerly then the ECU is programmed to be less responsive. An example of this is Mercedes Benz. My car has this intelligent training type of ECU. If i drive the car for awhile very conservatively, the car becomes less responsive and will take a bit to adjust to more aggressive driving till it becomes more responsive. In the Mercedes, you can reset this by turning the car on, but not start it (one click not two in the ignition) and press the break pedal and accelerator down and hold for 90 seconds and the ECU will erase this behavioral memory. This is just an example in a totally different car, but MAYBE this is the issue with the Maserati also.

It's a guess at best, but worth considering.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I sincerely hope that this is not the case. This is what ruined the MB's driving experience. If Maserati has adopted such nonsense in the Ghibli, I will cancel my order.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have an 06 5.7L Dodge Magnum that has the learning ECU that is suppose to watch your driving style and if you are modest in your driving the car is suppose to be docile and if you hotrod around its suppose to be more lively.

I'm rather easy in my driving and don't feel its slow off the line but then since the five speed has auto stick feature and if I want to move quickly I just put it in the gear I want and she just takes off wether from a standstill or on the highway.

The best thing for people with concerns is to test drive a car or a couple different cars if they are available.

For the record I have not taken a test drive of an Ghibli yet.

Gary

·
Registered
112 Posts
on most paddle cars in manual mode if you pull both paddles in you facilitate a clutch dump...

Ghibless - Not that I would do that but what is a clutch dump? and How would that affect the way the car was running for example at 60 or 70 MPH????
no don't do it at 60-70. Its a launch technique. Lets you drop in from high revs for a powerful launch or wheel spin...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts