Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took my second drive in the SQ4, and am absolutely in love with it. I am not an expensive car guy like some of you (I have been a 3 and 5 series and Infiniti G37 guy most of the past two decades), even though I can afford whatever I want. This Ghibli, however really does it for me. The things that turns me on about a car are (in order) steering, handling and sound of the engine. This car has it all in spades.
Anyway, to my question: I have teenage kids and this would be my daily driver. The practical question posed by my wife is whether there is enough room in this car for my 6'2" AND 6' 0"teenagers, vs, lets say, the safe choices like the A7 or the Tesla Model S (I know, very different cars, and neither gets me excited like the Ghibli, but she has somewhat of a veto....). I can't find interior dimensions for the Ghibli anywhere. Before I take the kids to the dealership to sit in the backseat of one (at which point the deal is done), does anyone have these legroom and other interior dimension numbers, for comparison purposes, so I can buttress my argument that there is no big difference among these cars?
Thanks.

·
Registered
852 Posts
dimensions are in the brochure which can be downloaded at the maserati website. some of the car web sites may have them as well KBB.com and cars.com There is good rear headroom in the back but there is a big debate about the rear leg room my son is 5'11' and said the back seat was more than adequate and also very easy in and out. good luck!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have the sq4 and there is no mention of backseat dimensions in the manual. One of my few nitpicks is the lack of info/specs available. In any respect there is plenty of room in my opinion. About the same as my '03 A6 and more than our 4-series. You should definitely take your (large) kids in for a fit. My guess is they'll want you to get the car regardless -- the 550 is comparatively boring, the 650 GC is more in the same league.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Just took my second drive in the SQ4, and am absolutely in love with it. I am not an expensive car guy like some of you (I have been a 3 and 5 series and Infiniti G37 guy most of the past two decades), even though I can afford whatever I want. This Ghibli, however really does it for me. The things that turns me on about a car are (in order) steering, handling and sound of the engine. This car has it all in spades.
Anyway, to my question: I have teenage kids and this would be my daily driver. The practical question posed by my wife is whether there is enough room in this car for my 6'2" AND 6' 0"teenagers, vs, lets say, the safe choices like the A7 or the Tesla Model S (I know, very different cars, and neither gets me excited like the Ghibli, but she has somewhat of a veto....). I can't find interior dimensions for the Ghibli anywhere. Before I take the kids to the dealership to sit in the backseat of one (at which point the deal is done), does anyone have these legroom and other interior dimension numbers, for comparison purposes, so I can buttress my argument that there is no big difference among these cars?
Thanks.
Unfortunately there is a big difference. I had the ghibli for 3+ weeks now and can tell you that 2 6' adults cannot possibly fit comfortably in the ghibli if seated one behind another. The front seat has to be moved up and both are going to feel a little cramped. If you wat room go for the QP or something else. Another interesting fact is that if you have small kids ( babies ) that need car seats the car seat takes a lot of space in the back, once you install the car seat there is enough room upfront for a person who's not more than 5'4"-5'6" to comfortably fit.

·
Registered
305 Posts
That is not what I found with a baby seat which fitted easily behind a 6' passenger. Perhaps different different makes are larger?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Do you guys think it will benefit Maserati if they make a longer wheel base model for better interior dimensions for some people? even just a few inches more of space can mean a lot to some.

·
Registered
852 Posts
BMW has used the IL concept for many years so that is possible but I think Maserati has made the distinction with Models the QP being the long wheel base version............but who knows where this will go in five years...........Hopefully not like BMW with a 1,3,4,5,6,7 etc!!!

·
Registered
277 Posts
tall kids! might be a tight fit

also depends how tall you are because that will determine how far back the seat is

the only real way to find out is to go and sit in one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm 5'10", my wife is 5' 9", so it will be close.
The reason I am trying to figure this out in advance of another dealer visit is that once I bring the boys to the dealer and they see the car, I won't have a choice but to get it, even if we all fit in it like the clown car at the circus!
BTW, just drove the MB CLS 550. Besides driving like a Mercedes (that is not a positive for me, especially when the salesman bragged on the test drive, "Listen closely, you can hardly hear the engine!"), the headroom in the backseat was much worse than the Ghibli, and the leg room felt the same. Superior leathers and interior "feel", though the Ghibli kicks the crap out of the Mercedes and the Audi A7 (which I drove Monday) for ease and simplicity of the driver interface and controls. And of course, the Ghibli is the best to drive (but that goes without saying).

·
Registered
324 Posts
In that case (you and wife are under 6') your kids will fit comfortably... unless you drive with the steering wheel and pedals fully extended :/

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
I am only 6' but my height is in torso and drive more upright than most so my seated height is more like some one 6' 2"; test drove a 2014 with sunroof (standard on 2015 Q4) and would think that Q4 is tough for any one over 190 cm (6' 3''). That said the 2015 Gibli interior dimensions are:

Front Headroom 38.82 in
Front Legroom 37.71 in
Front Shoulder Room 57.83 in
Rear Headroom 38.82 in
Rear Legroom 33.2 in
Rear Shoulder Room 56.54 in

·
Registered
12 Posts
That is not what I found with a baby seat which fitted easily behind a 6' passenger. Perhaps different different makes are larger?
No problem for the baby seat: I have a Martinelli baby seat, which is quite large, and no problem at all, nor for the seat nor for the passenger in front!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am only 6' but my height is in torso and drive more upright than most so my seated height is more like some one 6' 2"; test drove a 2014 with sunroof (standard on 2015 Q4) and would think that Q4 is tough for any one over 190 cm (6' 3''). That said the 2015 Gibli interior dimensions are:

Front Headroom 38.82 in
Front Legroom 37.71 in
Front Shoulder Room 57.83 in
Rear Headroom 38.82 in
Rear Legroom 33.2 in
Rear Shoulder Room 56.54 in
Do you know what headroom without moonroof is?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm 6', wife is 5'10". Sons are both 6'1" and daughter is 5'5". We all fit well enought to go to dinner and tool around. Wouldn't want to take a 6 hour road trip that way, but nobody is uncomfortable. FWIW.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts