Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Maserati Ghibli joins 29 other vehicles as nominees for the 2014 Car of the Year. And I think I speak for everyone on this forum when I say that it is deserved! This long list will be reduced to a shorter list in November. Until then we can speculate at which car we think will win, and which cars we think don't even deserve to be on the list. Sure would help if I knew what the criteria was though...

Here is the list!

1. BMW 4 Series
2. BMW i3
3. BMW X5
4. Citroën C4 Picasso
5. Ford EcoSport
6. Ford Kuga

7. Hyundai i10
8. Jaguar F-Type
9. Kia Carens
10. Range Rover Sport
11. Lexus IS
12. Maserati Ghibli

13. Mazda3
14. Mercedes-Benz S-Class
15. Mitsubishi Space Star
16. Nissan Note
17. Opel Cascada
18. Peugeot 2008

19. Peugeot 308
20. Porsche Cayman
21. Renault Captur
22. Renault Zoe
23. Seat Leon
24. Skoda Octavia

25. Subaru Forester
26. Suzuki SX4
27. Tesla Model S
28. Toyota Auris
29. Toyota Corolla
30. Toyota RAV4

Stand outs for me are the Tesla Model S and the Jaguar F-Type. Which are your top picks?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I believe the Model S is a no brainer choice. It is actually the other model that I'm seriously considering aside from the Ghibli. I am just not sure if I am ready to give up gasoline engine for electric. And here in the DC metro area, there are a ton of Model S running around. In fact it is selling better than MB and BMW of the same size class.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I also think that the Model S is going to take it. How can it not? It is electric, luxurious, innovative, and very new. Some other beautiful cars on this list as well though.

Maybe some other car companies will start stepping up their EV game...

·
Registered
76 Posts
My top pick would be the F-Type. I was always a big fan of British engineering and it's been a while since Jag has done anything like this, now that they have, im very impressed.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The 4 series, F-Type, and S-Class are all cars that have gotten my attention and I think could have a chance of taking the prize. Who is judging?

·
Registered
70 Posts
The 4 series, F-Type, and S-Class are all cars that have gotten my attention and I think could have a chance of taking the prize. Who is judging?
I only know that auto journalists are a big part of it (maybe the only part.) It would be cool to see a list of the people who decide.

It's like the Oscars. You know the Academy decides but you don't really know who the Academy is.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figured out who is choosing the winner and how they are to decide!

58 auto journalists from 22 different European countries will decide the winner. They are to judge the vehicles based on design, safety, performance, value and technical innovation. Technical innovation is seen to be a particularly weighty criterion though.

Each jury member has 25 points to give to at least 5 cars, and a jury member cannot give more than 10 points to a single vehicle.

In December the list will be narrowed from 30 to 7.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Is anyone else disappointed that the Ghibli didn't make the short list for Car of the Year?

Here is what did make the list.

BMW 4 Series
Cadillac CTS
Chevrolet Corvette Stingray
Chevrolet Impala
Infiniti Q50
Jaguar F-Type
Kia Cadenza
Lexus IS
Mazda3
Mazda6
Mercedes-Benz CLA
Toyota Corolla

·
Registered
397 Posts
disappointed somewhat.

Well yes and No.. yes because it s such a beautiful car but lets face it , it s the first one in the line.. not many to drive or judge within this category, it hasn't proved itself yet. Maybe next year when there will be more on the road.
And I wouldn't want to see one at every street corner, so keeping it low profile is I think better for us..Unless you re dying to see one driven by hip hop artist and kill the look and brand with their image. :D

·
Registered
284 Posts
I think it's gonna go to the Mazda 3
regular Joe car - looks and drive great, appeals to the masses...
Although all that sounds good, I don't think the base it off of that. I think it's more along the lines of how good these cars are, how much they have improved, how they stack up to other new cars in the industry. A lot of things factor into it all.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm told that the jurors often value innovation above all other indicators when deciding which vehicle should win the prize. Other criteria are design, value, performance. There are others too but I think really its just the subjective opinion of the juror.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Although all that sounds good, I don't think the base it off of that. I think it's more along the lines of how good these cars are, how much they have improved, how they stack up to other new cars in the industry. A lot of things factor into it all.
Precisely - the new Mazda3 is far far better than the last one and, personally, I think well ahead in its class.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts